What do you think is Stephen Morris's ceiling?

Slow delivery, poor pocket presence, poor touch, poor decision making sometimes, poor performances in big games, poor record as a starter, poor completion rate, 3rd OC in 4 years.

First round for sure

Let me guess, you thought jacory was awesome.

Advertisement
One of the main negatives I see with Morris is his pocket presence/foot work. He doesnt stand strong in the pocket when he feels pressure. He panics a lot and gets flushed out of the pocket.

Would like to see him get past his 1st read more. Throw some more to his TEs.

He did look much improved in the Spring Game though, hope to see him improve in the pocket this season.

Still wish we hadn't wasted a season with Harris in there goldens first year. He could be much more advanced at this point.

Advertisement
Second round and he will do just fine in the pro's! I think he kicks *** this year.

If Pounder and Manuel were 1st rounds picks, Morris certainly is. NFL is crazy desperate for qbs. Morris actually plays in a pro offense with pro WRs. Johnny football and Teddy will probably come out this year and will go ahead of him--maybe. Morris makes NFL throws big time. Need to handle pressure better but they will take their chances on that. His first OC is in pros now. That is a plus. Manuel did very little in like ten years at wide right with supposedly great talent and still got drafted in 1st. Morris will be 3rd qb taken at worst.

Advertisement
Former pro scout and current NFL.com writer Bucky Brooks:

3) Stephen Morris might be the most talented quarterback in college football. I say that even while fully aware of the gifted passers across the college football landscape. The Miami signal-caller's natural talents made him stand out above the rest of his peers at the throwing exhibition at the Manning Passing Academy. Morris spins the ball with exceptional velocity and zip while showing a deft touch on intermediate and deep passes. Most impressively, he is deadly accurate, capable of making pinpoint throws to every area of the field. This was evident not only when Morris won the air-it-out competition by hitting a variety of moving targets, but also when he connected with receivers on a number of intermediate throws, particularly on deep comebacks and digs.

After cross-referencing the notes from my evaluation of Morris' game tape with my observations of his performance at the Manning Passing Academy, I believe he could rate as one of the top pure passers in college football. He is an outstanding rhythm passer who displays terrific anticipation, awareness and timing in the pocket. Although he only has one year of starting experience at Miami, Morris' remarkable physical tools and superb game-management skills could garner him high rankings on quarterback lists around the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ses-at-mannings-camp?icampaign=ATL_newsdriver

3) Stephen Morris might be the most talented quarterback in college football. I say that even while fully aware of the gifted passers across the college football landscape. The Miami signal-caller's natural talents made him stand out above the rest of his peers at the throwing exhibition at the Manning Passing Academy. Morris spins the ball with exceptional velocity and zip while showing a deft touch on intermediate and deep passes. Most impressively, he is deadly accurate, capable of making pinpoint throws to every area of the field. This was evident not only when Morris won the air-it-out competition by hitting a variety of moving targets, but also when he connected with receivers on a number of intermediate throws, particularly on deep comebacks and digs.

After cross-referencing the notes from my evaluation of Morris' game tape with my observations of his performance at the Manning Passing Academy, I believe he could rate as one of the top pure passers in college football. He is an outstanding rhythm passer who displays terrific anticipation, awareness and timing in the pocket. Although he only has one year of starting experience at Miami, Morris' remarkable physical tools and superb game-management skills could garner him high rankings on quarterback lists around the NFL.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...ses-at-mannings-camp?icampaign=ATL_newsdriver

**** brah **** just got real

stephen-morris-miami-quarterback-crazy-costume.jpg

I'm sorry, I think some of that scouting is "seeing what I want to see" or "scout talk." Did that guy really just call Stephen Morris a rhythm passer with great anticipation? Even the biggest Morris supporters here acknowledge those as areas for improvement. In fact, that's what will make Morris jump to the next level.

Would be interested in seeing those comments substantiated by actual plays. He's sub-par on crossing routes that are not pre-determined (requiring touch), he's subpar on fade routes (is there even a debate here?) and he was sub-par over the middle. All of those are areas that require anticipation.

Remember, QBs play football with pads on and against a pass rush. Please don't note anticipation or "rhythm" out of a passing camp.

I always was of the mind to see how Stephen would look during the spring and if he would use last season as a springboard to get better. All the things that he needed to work on were/are fixable things. He missed the spring going into his junior campaign and Im sure that hurt in his development. Its funny what confidence and experience will do for some. I saw a really good qb who hit on some throws during scrimmages that he would of missed last year (corner route throws, intermediate crossers, etc.) All the thing Stephen needed to work on are things that if he took a hard assessment and conscious effort he could become a much better player.

Im not surprised by what they are saying because I am sure he worked on it in the offseason. I expect him to take a next step, I expect him to play well not only against scrub teams but really good teams, I expect him to become a star. We know what he struggles at, but if you make a list and really look at it, its not hard to think hey if he worked on these things all summer and made it a habit to develop his craft at the end of summer alot of people would be impressed with what he brings to table (unknown to national, throws a sweet ball, and if his habits are good I think he can be fairly accurate). Good for him, I look forward to him playing well this season, first test Sept. 7

Advertisement
I'm sorry, I think some of that scouting is "seeing what I want to see" or "scout talk." Did that guy really just call Stephen Morris a rhythm passer with great anticipation? Even the biggest Morris supporters here acknowledge those as areas for improvement. In fact, that's what will make Morris jump to the next level.

Would be interested in seeing those comments substantiated by actual plays. He's sub-par on crossing routes that are not pre-determined (requiring touch), he's subpar on fade routes (is there even a debate here?) and he was sub-par over the middle. All of those are areas that require anticipation.

Remember, QBs play football with pads on and against a pass rush. Please don't note anticipation or "rhythm" out of a passing camp.

This seems to dismiss the idea that a QB can improve over an off season. If the only time you've seen him throw since November is the Speing game, who says he hasn't in fact made improvements to his foot work, touch, etc.

And saying Bucky Brooks is seeing what he wants to see just doesn't make any sense. Why would Bucky Brooks want to see Stephen Morris be good to the point where he is exaggerating his opinion?

This seems to dismiss the idea that a QB can improve over an off season. If the only time you've seen him throw since November is the Speing game, who says he hasn't in fact made improvements to his foot work, touch, etc.

And saying Bucky Brooks is seeing what he wants to see just doesn't make any sense. Why would Bucky Brooks want to see Stephen Morris be good to the point where he is exaggerating his opinion?

No. It means we don't have much (any?) evidence of it right now in pads and during live action. Please re-read my post.

Brooks clearly states his opinion comes from a combination of film (would like to know what film he looked at, but I digress) and his observations from a camp where they played in shorts. Bucky Brooks is saying something that isn't substantiated on the football field because existing "game tape" actually shows Morris struggles with anticipation, touch and rhythm. It shows he does other things very well and has great attributes, though.

His words sound a lot like scouting fluff or outright speculation/projection. That'd be fine, but he didn't say he projects it. Unless you read something I missed, he doesn't cite any specific play, game or evidence to support his conclusions. It doesn't mean it won't be true this upcoming year. We all hope it becomes true.

Last edited:
Advertisement

The sky is the limit with Morris & I think he will pick up right where he left off at the end of last season

Like you said, it's about doing it consistently in live action.

The optimistic view is this: he always flashed that kind of accuracy (e.g. the 14 straight completions vs. MD) but would often get jumpy and rush things. As a senior, he's polished and calm. The last three games were pristine and he's been deadly accurate throughout the spring and summer. The pessimistic view is that those last three games were against bad teams and the rest of his success with no pass rush.

We'll know September 7th.

He will be drafted in the first round. He is fast, has a huge arm and is a great kid. He's as legit as anyone we've seen in a decade. We will win 10+ games this season. Anything more is up to the football G-d's. Go Canes

Advertisement
Back