What do you think is Stephen Morris's ceiling?

Advertisement
A good senior year is one part of the equation an excellent pre -draft will get him into the first round. He must have an outstanding performance at the senior bowl, the draft, and pro day to really edge others and get into round 1.

Still have no idea why everyone seems to say he is a bad decision maker.

Think D$ post hit in on the head. I expect a huge SR year from Morris. If he was a few inches taller his physical talent would be near prototype.

I'd be saving my pennies if bet anyone SM is a first rounder. He's starting to come around and one of best Miami QBs in awhile, but Al said it right when he made the point about Morris now having to raise his game and compete nationally with the big boys. Here's just a quick look at some of the recognizable names and doesn't include pro prospects at Fresno State, Northern Illinois and a handful of under-the-radar programs. Curious to see how folks would rank them:

Johnny Manziel
Aaron Muray
Teddy Bridgewater
Tajh Boyd
Braxton Miller
AJ McCarron
Zach Metttenberger
Logan Thomas
Kevin Hogan
Jeff Driskel
Marcus Mariota

thomas, mariota, manziel, boyd, and miller would make ****** nfl qb's

Advertisement
I'd be saving my pennies if bet anyone SM is a first rounder. He's starting to come around and one of best Miami QBs in awhile, but Al said it right when he made the point about Morris now having to raise his game and compete nationally with the big boys. Here's just a quick look at some of the recognizable names and doesn't include pro prospects at Fresno State, Northern Illinois and a handful of under-the-radar programs. Curious to see how folks would rank them:

Johnny Manziel
Aaron Muray
Teddy Bridgewater
Tajh Boyd
Braxton Miller
AJ McCarron
Zach Metttenberger
Logan Thomas
Kevin Hogan
Jeff Driskel
Marcus Mariota

thomas, mariota, manziel, boyd, and miller would make ****** nfl qb's

Probably said the same thing about Russell Wilson

Morris has the physical ability to be a good NFL QB. Maybe even a very good one.

He has not yet shown the decision-making to be one though. He's shown enough that we think we could project him there, but we're Cane fans.

It's possible if he has a good enough year that he could play himself into a first round pick, but I find that unlikely.

My guess is with a very good year, he's a 2nd/3rd rounder, and with a good year, he's a 4th/5th rounder. Good means material improvement over last year.

He will test well at the combine, but not have ideal height. And while he can run, he's not big enough to take a lot of hits.

Last edited:
Marcus Mariota
thomas, mariota, manziel, boyd, and miller would make ****TY nfl qb's

I COMPLETELY disagree with that statement! In 2yrs starting Tajh Boyd has 6500 yds passing and 58 TD's! Those are some good numbers! If it wasn't for Manziel.....Mariota would have garnered more Heisman consideration. Now back to the question at hand..... RIGHT NOW he's a 3rd pick. Not prototypical size for a pocket passer(cause that's what he is even though he CAN run....he doesn't). It all depends on the trend of the spread option in the NFL and how many teams are looking for QB's next yr. He needs to improve on his decision making and getting the ball out quicker. He tends to wait for the receiver to get open before throwing the ball. At the next level he's going to have to make those throws with the anticipation that they will be open. The sky's the limit for him. Our schedule is rather favorable and we return a lot of starters.

Slow delivery, poor pocket presence, poor touch, poor decision making sometimes, poor performances in big games, poor record as a starter, poor completion rate, 3rd OC in 4 years.

First round for sure

Slow. Like the Mummy out there (the old skool, Karloff mummy). Easy to sack (goes down like marvis Frazier a lot)

Throws short of the chains way to often on 3rd down

Last edited:
Advertisement
Slow. Like the Mummy out there (the old skool, Karloff mummy). Easy to sack (goes down like marvis Frazier a lot)

He only got sacked 17 times in 421 attempts. For comparison, AJ McCarron was sacked 22 times in 314 attempts.

If Ryan Tannehill, Nassib, and Manuel can be considered first round prospects, certainly Morris can do it.

Why is Marcus Mariota an NFL name at this point? Or Braxton Miller? Logan Thomas??? Driskel?

dafukouttahere

Johnny Manziel
Aaron Muray
Teddy Bridgewater
Tajh Boyd
Braxton Miller
AJ McCarron
Zach Metttenberger
Logan Thomas
Kevin Hogan
Jeff Driskel
Marcus Mariota

A lot of those guys aren't great prospects. Mettenberger flat-out sucks at playing quarterback. He's on some pre-season lists, but like Jevan Snead his crappiness will come to light.

The guy who might be the best prospect next year isn't even on that list. Check out David Fales from San Jose State. He really impressed me against Stanford and is getting a ton of buzz. Quick decision-maker and very accurate.

Advertisement

He only got sacked 17 times in 421 attempts. For comparison, AJ McCarron was sacked 22 times in 314 attempts.

what exactly does "attempts" mean here? plays that they were pressured, passing plays, or what?

just curious, i think it can make a big difference in the validity of the stat

Fisch will draft him to JAX. Morris's ceiling is sky high, honestly. The dude has the strongest arm in the country, has mobility, is developing a pocket presence, and is an uncanny leader. Al has mentioned about 900 times how Morris's last 4 games of the years were not comparable to any other QB in the country because the stats were better than any other QB in the country.

Morris has tools himself, and he has playmakers around him that have the ability to make him look really really really good. And for the first time in a few years, we are going to have a running game with Duke that people are going to HAVE to respect. Thats going to open it up with the play action pass. If Morris completes the throws he's supposed to make, along with the big time throws he made last year ( a la NC State), the dude could be a contender for the Heisman. If thats the case, this teams winning the Orange Bowl, at least.

LETS GO BABY ALL IN.

what exactly does "attempts" mean here? plays that they were pressured, passing plays, or what?

That's pass attempts. There are probably better ways to phrase that. After all, a sack wouldn't really count as a pass attempt. Dropback would be the proper measure if we had access to that stat.

But the point is that Morris threw the ball a lot more than McCarron and was still sacked less.

Advertisement

That's pass attempts. There are probably better ways to phrase that. After all, a sack wouldn't really count as a pass attempt. Dropback would be the proper measure if we had access to that stat.

But the point is that Morris threw the ball a lot more than McCarron and was still sacked less.

i would argue that the stat is very subjective to the strength of the OL... but, well, that wouldn't help much in this case comparing ourselves to Bama there.

i personally think Morris does a very fine job of avoiding sacks. i just don't think that stat helps prove the point.

Advertisement
Back