5 years

StateOfMiamiU

Freshman
I just want to say that I believe 5 years is a good timeline for Al to get the job done here. his first recruiting class doesn't really count cause it was put together in like 2 months. so by his fifth year all his players will be his and we can see whether he can coach or not. anyone else think thats too long or short?

also some people are saying that youth is not an excuse for losing. I personally disagree but does anyone else know of other teams that were as young as us and had some success?

Advertisement
JMO but with our recruiting options and our **** poor conference it shouldn't take 5 years.

^^^

Kinda going off of that, it depends on what you mean by 5 years. Compete on a national level? Sure, that's fine. But it sure as **** should not take 5 years just to compete in this **** conference. He better **** well be at least competing for the Coastal crown next year.

Given the horrific state of the roster golden inherited, plus the pending sanctions, I'd give him 5 as well, but I believe he will have us very competitive by year 4.

Advertisement
I don't know...the program's in rough shape - it may take about 60 years to win the ACC, so maybe Al's son or grandson will be able to get us there.

In all seriousness, we should competing for 1st in the Coastal next year. If we don't get there next year, then we should be in the conference championship game by the year after.

I think we will see gradual improvement starting next year. 8====>

The guy flipped the roster in a year and a half, so most of the kids are his recruits. You add 2 years of that for development and by year 4 we should be in decent shape barring NCAA Armageddon. I'm thinking we wont have Fisch that long and it seems that the offense is headed in the right direction, but defense wins big games and this guy seems like he'll have 5 years just to get that crew in order.

Advertisement
I personally think we will field a very good team in 2014...next year we'll be deeper, have a senior QB, another year of top-notch S&C, etc...so we could be decent, but I wouldn't count on anything too amazing. My biggest hope is that we are able to have some more players transfer that won't get an opportunity to play here, have no staff turnover (unless it's on our terms), and the sanctions deal is done and put to bed.

The guy flipped the roster in a year and a half, so most of the kids are his recruits. You add 2 years of that for development and by year 4 we should be in decent shape barring NCAA Armageddon. I'm thinking we wont have Fisch that long and it seems that the offense is headed in the right direction, but defense wins big games and this guy seems like he'll have 5 years just to get that crew in order.

agree with this. there are many naive, unrealistic and fanatical expectations of the team. Since we last won a NC, the game and the reality have changed. and not only did we not go along with that change, but we took too many steps back. too many years wasted. it will take a while to fix. i need to see progress. as long as we are making progress, i'd be happy.

Advertisement
If we don't see dramatic improvement by next year, Golden probably isn't the guy. Next year you have a grizzled veteran line and QB, Duke in the backfield, all the WRs back. On defense we will be very good at LB and good in the secondary. Our problem will still be the line, but we have to get improvement with all these freshman being in their 2nd year and everyone other than Smith back. Add in that we'll have a few true freshman who can contribute and next year has to be a team that wins 9/10 games. You really have to be able to turn teams around in year 3-5. If you need longer something is wrong.

I expected to see improvement this year even with the youth on defense. Agree with 3FW, if we don't see results by next year we are in trouble.

Unless they get their defensive scheme fixed and quit sitting back in a prevent defense Al Folden aint winning ****.

Advertisement
Unless they get their defensive scheme fixed and quit sitting back in a prevent defense Al Folden aint winning ****.

Lulz.

I'm with AG, and hope D'onofrio gets it together in all seriousness, but remember how the previous regime was run out of town after 4 years for these same results? I thought they should have been given more time, but 4 is the benchmark usually it seems. After 4 under AG, we should see vast improvements, if not the "Fire" banners flying over the stadium about AG and staff will get no argument from me.

If you look at the CFB landscape objectively, UM doesn't have the tools to compete at an elite level anymore. Things change. Doesn't mean you can't enjoy what you have.

JMO but with our recruiting options and our **** poor conference it shouldn't take 5 years.

5 years for what? National champ contender or consistently solid 9-4 team?

I think within a couple years this should be a solid 9-4 team and by the end of the 5th, we should be in the national hunt.

Advertisement
Back