5 teams that could join the ACC if ND joins for FB

Advertisement
All good points but what many have overlooked is this is the ACC, a traditional basketball powerhouse. They’ll value the school that brings most in both sports, which is why you hear Memphis Cincinnati and West Virginia before you hear good football schools with decent markets like UCF and USF.

Id honestly leave it as is. Shouldn’t add anyone unless the Big 13 collapses or we go to some giant P5 pod system

While I think you're right, I think that ND is the shiny toy that will be impossible to ignore.

We shall see if this season creates any rethinking of the "go-it-alone" model for ND.

Heck, to be perfectly honest, I would love to see the ACC actually "use" ND a little and get NBC to make a bigger commitment to college football. They also have a cable-sports channel. That's a lot of Saturday time-slots to fill.

If you’re adding 3 teams in addition to ND, the best options IMO are Vandy, WVU, the last team is tricky and could literally be any one of 6 teams (I.E. Memphis, Cincy, UCF, USF, UCONN, and maybe Temple)

Vandy will, literally, never leave the SEC (unless they were kicked out).

Vandy is a net taker from the SEC, not a maker.

Advertisement
While I think you're right, I think that ND is the shiny toy that will be impossible to ignore.

We shall see if this season creates any rethinking of the "go-it-alone" model for ND.

Heck, to be perfectly honest, I would love to see the ACC actually "use" ND a little and get NBC to make a bigger commitment to college football. They also have a cable-sports channel. That's a lot of Saturday time-slots to fill.

Getting NBC time slots would be nice if it meant extra revenue. Thats a actually a huge bargaining chip I never thought of when it came to ND

If ND joins, that would mean the world has fundamentally altered and no predictions pre that change would matter. Like NBC goes under.

Only thing that I would add is you would need to be brain dead to want another fla school.

I always wanted SEC once we were going to join a conference. why would a school that shut Bball down sacrifice the greatest football program in the country by going to basketball conference? Ofcourse the elite sobs in the administration thought that when Howard and those kids made Suntan U into THE U it meant they were Harvard.
But I can't see the Gators ever allowing us in.

At the time, I was hoping the football schools told the ACC to kiss off and tried to team up with the remnants of the Big 8 and SWC. FSU, Clemson and Ga Tech never felt the ACC had their back and Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M bolted from their conferences.

At the time, I was hoping the football schools told the ACC to kiss off and tried to team up with the remnants of the Big 8 and SWC. FSU, Clemson and Ga Tech never felt the ACC had their back and Missouri, Nebraska and Texas A&M bolted from their conferences.

During the last expansion phase, the Gaytors, *****, Bulldogs, and Wildcats formed a 4-school veto to prevent the SEC from offering UM, F$U, Clemson, GaTech, and/or Louisville.

I believe that the SEC's wet-dream for School 15 and School 16 would be 2 out of the 3 of North Carolina, UVa, and Oklahoma, in that order.

UNC and UVa puts the Confederacy back together again (and don't forget, Kentucky and Missouri were the 12th and 13th stars on the Confederate flag and Confederate battle flag for a reason).

Advertisement
During the last expansion phase, the Gaytors, *****, Bulldogs, and Wildcats formed a 4-school veto to prevent the SEC from offering UM, F$U, Clemson, GaTech, and/or Louisville.

I believe that the SEC's wet-dream for School 15 and School 16 would be 2 out of the 3 of North Carolina, UVa, and Oklahoma, in that order.

UNC and UVa puts the Confederacy back together again (and don't forget, Kentucky and Missouri were the 12th and 13th stars on the Confederate flag and Confederate battle flag for a reason).

LOL, calling them the KKK conference would not be just trash talk.

Last edited:

The gator would never let us in. The SEC would have to force it. The only thing that might cause that would be return to glory days and repeated crushing of SEC hopes in the playoffs by the Canes. They would buy us at any price to maintain dominance.

I agree they are a joke. But they aren’t off exponentially. Degrees of incorrectness? And regardless of what the US News says (its honestly just the lowest hanging fruit to use as an illustration) anyone in higher education knows that both those schools are a joke. So you’re not going to have anyone trying to say differently if they come up for review.

Exponentially? No. Significantly? Yes.

Miami is far from a joke academically or from a career placement standpoint, ESPECIALLY for those going on to Master's degrees.

The crux of the matter is that there are far fewer global corporations recruiting in Tally than in Miami.

Not sure what you mean by “tried that before…didn’t go so well.” Explain please, if you care to.

I cant see a scenario where PSU ever leaves the B1G to join the ACC (people forget they were the first school the Big 10 grabbed), or the team in Indiana joins a conference. I don’t see it. But, if either of those two were to happen, my personal preference would be PSU.

But, If we want to play “City on the Edge of Forever” (Star Trek reference) then the Miami Hurricanes are the random element in football time. All of this conference expansion can be attributed to one game in the past. The game where Cleveland Gary was ruled to have fumbled.
- That team would go on to “win” the National Championship.
- That National Championship became justification for that team to become a permanent “independent“ with their own TV deal.

That TV deal should have been Miami’s; Miami had become a true “national” team with blue blood scalps (and the reason why I won’t watch NBC College football unless Miami is playing).

- That TV deal would have allowed Miami to buy the Orange bowl - and refurbish it by now.
- That TV deal allows Miami to maybe keep Jimmie Johnson.
- That deal maybe bankrupts Jerry Jones.

The entire universe has been screwed ever since that day and we’re living in the wrong timeline.

Uhhhhhh..... K...?

That's a very, very lengthy reply to under ten words.

I was referring to the 2001 season opener. If you can recall, it was a "white out" game. They were also honoring someone for some whatever, and had their highest attendance, ever.

And we smoked them.

Take a step back and breathe.

Advertisement
WVU moved to the BIGXII not that long ago--at least in football time. I like Cincy out of the five offered but I'll throw in another not on that list--Eastern Carolina. They are virtually equidistant from the two further schools geographically, they have rivalry games with the Research Triangle schools and Virginia Tech, and up until the last decade have put a decent product on the field. I am unafraid of this being the least sexiest pick but I thought ECU might be quality runner-up to a school like Cincy.

Advertisement
The ACC likes to think highly of themselves academically. Which team has high academics and a decent market?
Crazy, crazy question:

Which school (and you can pick any school nationwide) do you think could get immediate entry into any conference if they just asked? (I have one in mind that would definitely trump the IIT)

Advertisement
Back