5 star Linebacker enters the portal: USC LB Palaie Gaoteote (now w/ 90% more inevitable whining over LB recruiting)

OK if I give you that point, it still doesn't explain why Patke was our only backup plan. Not hating on Patke but our LB unit looks terrible and I don't think he's won a single recruiting battle since he's been here. He hasn't proven anything.

Patke wasn't the backup plan. Aristide was the backup plan. Aristide was considered one of the best- if not THE best recruiter on TAMU's staff. Google him. You'll find recruits saying they think he is one of the best recruiters in the country. T-Will was the main target, Diaz hired him, he left for a better job. Diaz then went to his Plan B, who is an excellent recruiter with S Florida roots.

Advertisement
OK if I give you that point, it still doesn't explain why Patke was our only backup plan. Not hating on Patke but our LB unit looks terrible and I don't think he's won a single recruiting battle since he's been here. He hasn't proven anything.
You're getting too much into your feelings on this.

He made a good hire with Travis Williams, he move don as a DC at UCF, which is not a garbage G5 team, look at recent history they've won bigger games vs P5 opponents then Miami.

Since options at the time were bit more limited he took a big time up and comer, which has been said nothing wide, not just UM fans pump their own tires, with Ish with great local ties. The local pool is weak this year with most positions so the investment won't reap right away, but long term it is most likely too.
Patke is a stop gapper, and he's done nothing to prove he isn't worth is, I think Ish and Patke are gonna work on it together, just like TRob and DVD.

I'm sure CMD is concerned that YOU were not impressed with that. If the LBers just can tackle it's an improvement.

The UNC game was not the LBers faults, Diaz's system is ripe for the picking if a team play a gap system with pullers (i.e., powers, counter treys, etc.)

It actually has been explained. You just refuse to read or understand it. He left in late Feb when most teams already locked up their staffs. (Been said multiple times)

Backup plan? So if you get a coach you really want, you are saying you still will have a backup plan, incase he leaves a month or 2 after being hired? That's bs, nobody does that. Maybe Diaz put patke at a position he feels will have the least affect on the staff, and will try again next year when he has more than 2 seconds to regroup.

It's like you are saying Diaz should be taking a plan C or D kid when your blue chip kid goes elsewhere.

Advertisement
LB coach to DC makes sense if it's to another power program. Miami LB coach to UCF DC is lateral, at best.

But I’m sure Miami was just pinching pennies as always
Generally speaking a D1 level (regardless of P5 or not) DC is going to make significantly more than a D1 LB coach. We're talking hundreds of thousands of dollars difference and in some cases maybe even millions. Not to mention the opportunity to cut your teeth as DC at a young age and potentially open more doors at bigger universities sooner rather than later.

It actually has been explained. You just refuse to read or understand it. He left in late Feb when most teams already locked up their staffs. (Been said multiple times)

Backup plan? So if you get a coach you really want, you are saying you still will have a backup plan, incase he leaves a month or 2 after being hired? That's bs, nobody does that. Maybe Diaz put patke at a position he feels will have the least affect on the staff, and will try again next year when he has more than 2 seconds to regroup.

It's like you are saying Diaz should be taking a plan C or D kid when your blue chip kid goes elsewhere.

Not only yes, but I would have a backup plan to my backup plan.

I’d be like Santa Clause, I’m making a list and checking it twice, ************.

Plan for every contingency and stay one step ahead of the game at all times

1628188383624.gif

I’d be like Santa Clause, I’m making a list and checking it twice, ************.

You need to take a standing eight count, you’re getting pummeled

Advertisement

If manny thinks patke is so bad he’s going to go next year, why did he retain him last year?

When is the last time Manny recruited a blue chip linebacker? High school OR portal?

Meanwhile our LB play last year was **** awful, and our LB’s looked like a steaming pile of donkey **** during the Spring Game.

And what does Diaz do? Hires a GA from Texas and promotes Patke.

I don’t get it, man.

Diaz making good moves everywhere else but dude has got some obvious fatal flaws….linebacker might be what does Manny in.

Did he hire an elite LB coach? No, we got Patke and Ish the GA.

Did he sign blue chips? No LB commits but one undersize 3-star from Texas

Did he get a stud from the portals? No, he let Henry Tutu and others go by the wayside.

I just don’t get it man SMH
Huff and Solomon from STA. Obviously Solomon bailed but there were mitigating circumstances iirc.

I'd argue Medlock was and will be a blue-chip LB but right now he's being slept on because of an injury. Losing that other kid to LSU was rough though I can't lie.

Now that question, my dude.... I can't answer. Other than to note that part of Manny's plan was getting Ish on the staff. So he went and got Ish and "gave" Patke the LBs, to fill out his Defensive staff. But I'm willing to bet that Diaz will be coaching them LB's.

Last edited:
Advertisement

Then I'm very surprised you're not killing it at any P5 program.

You've gotta be the only one any HC at any level would have a backup plan.

Easily smartest guy in the room.

Huff and Solomon from STA. Obviously Solomon bailed but there were mitigating circumstances iirc.

I'd argue Medlock was and will be a blue-chip LB but right now he's being slept on because of an injury. Losing that other kid to LSU was rough though I can't lie.
Huff wasn’t a LB, is the problem. Goes back to evaluations, which I’ve been yapping about forever. Huff was a LB-sized ‘athlete prospect.’

LB coach to DC makes sense if it's to another power program. Miami LB coach to UCF DC is lateral, at best.

But I’m sure Miami was just pinching pennies as always
What? Nobody that’s a position coach at UM is jumping to be a coordinator at another P5 school. We don’t have that Rep anymore. Jumping to UCF to DC is a promotion and would lead to a P5 job.

Advertisement
Been a long time since a poster fell down a flight of stairs like you have in this thread.

Sure, sure. I'm not exactly wrong, though. Linebacker recruiting and development is the biggest issue on the team right now. People can excuse or justify however they want... and yes, maybe TWill had a better opportunity at UCF... but ultimately, it's Manny's responsibility to get that fixed.

He's in his third year as head coach and he's been DC for even longer. "He tried to hire T Will" doesn't cut it as an excuse. He's paid millions to own what goes on in Miami football and figure our issues out.

Advertisement
Back