5 star Linebacker enters the portal: USC LB Palaie Gaoteote (now w/ 90% more inevitable whining over LB recruiting)

When is the last time Manny recruited a blue chip linebacker? High school OR portal?

Meanwhile our LB play last year was **** awful, and our LB’s looked like a steaming pile of donkey **** during the Spring Game.

And what does Diaz do? Hires a GA from Texas and promotes Patke.

I don’t get it, man.

Diaz making good moves everywhere else but dude has got some obvious fatal flaws….linebacker might be what does Manny in.

Did he hire an elite LB coach? No, we got Patke and Ish the GA.

Did he sign blue chips? No LB commits but one undersize 3-star from Texas

Did he get a stud from the portals? No, he let Henry Tutu and others go by the wayside.

I just don’t get it man SMH
He did hire an elite LB coach.

And he immediately bolted for a DC job at UCF.

Advertisement
OK but why did we lose a guy to UCF and why was the backup plan Patke?

I’m not impressed with that.
Because he was given a better job at UCF than we were willing to give and the HC there is someone he previously worked for and respected. I'd be more upset if Manny didn't try to upgrade the position but he 100% did, and made a homerun hire. Sucks that Twill never got a chance here but you have to acknowledge that Manny did try and fix what is a major issue.

Advertisement
Because he was given a better job at UCF than we were willing to give and the HC there is someone he previously worked for and respected. I'd be more upset if Manny didn't try to upgrade the position but he 100% did, and made a homerun hire. Sucks that Twill never got a chance here but you have to acknowledge that Manny did try and fix what is a major issue.

Tried and failed, then promoted Patke and hired a GA.

Why didn’t Miami offer T Will more money to keep him then? You don’t see SEC assistants leaving to coach at FIU or UCF very often, why is it only Miami has these coaches who stick around for 10 minutes and bail?? (Cristobal, TWill, etc)

OK but why did we lose a guy to UCF and why was the backup plan Patke?

I’m not impressed with that.

Well because he got a DC title and a lottt more $ to go with the added responsibilities. Basically every DC positional coach wants to work up to DC and he got it at a program that does get some respect AND with his old HC in Gus. If we promoted him to DC just to "keep him" people would be complaining how are we hiring a DC that never has called plays and gets to cut his teeth at UM.

The back-up options were slim because he left in late Feb. Most of the coaching staffs were already settled in place. He saw a weakness, addressed it, then that guy left for a better job with more money. I get Patke isn't known as a recruiter but can we say he isnt a good coach? I am not about to crown him for ST when we had two studs last year but he did coach strikers. Gil and Smith I thought played well, who knows what he will do with inside backers, he did play LB in college.

Advertisement
Not for nothing, and im pretty sure ima be a quite a few years out of touch on this question, but isn't most of the big 10 (minus OSU, Indiana, Purdue and someone else I cant think of) still in the 3 yards and a cloud of dust mentality for the most part?

Not saying we're better than taint by any means or that this kid wasn't good enough to be here.. but I dont necessarily think transitive theory would work here with "he starts at _____, why didn't we take him!?" When schematically we face 2 completely different things and need different qualities from our LBs than they might.

Well because he got a DC title and a lottt more $ to go with the added responsibilities. Basically every DC positional coach wants to work up to DC and he got it at a program that does get some respect AND with his old HC in Gus. If we promoted him to DC just to "keep him" people would be complaining how are we hiring a DC that never has called plays and gets to cut his teeth at UM.

The back-up options were slim because he left in late Feb. Most of the coaching staffs were already settled in place. He saw a weakness, addressed it, then that guy left for a better job with more money. I get Patke isn't known as a recruiter but can we say he isnt a good coach? I am not about to crown him for ST when we had two studs last year but he did coach strikers. Gil and Smith I thought played well, who knows what he will do with inside backers, he did play LB in college.

LB looked terrible during Spring. And more recently, Barry Jackson had an article where "people inside the program are concerned" about linebacker.

Tried and failed, then promoted Patke and hired a GA.

Why didn’t Miami offer T Will more money to keep him then? You don’t see SEC assistants leaving to coach at FIU or UCF very often, why is it only Miami has these coaches who stick around for 10 minutes and bail?? (Cristobal, TWill, etc)

Now you are just trying to tread water. It is not just about the cash, it is also about the ability to become a DC and punch your ticket.

The latter part are you just guessing or did you do research? Bama just had an assistant quit after being hired for 2 months, Dan Enos left to come here, Locksley left to go to a god awful maryland team, Brent Key went from Bama to GT, Kul went to Toledo, Huff went to Marshall. I think UCF would beat Maryland, GT, Toledo and Marshall right now...

Advertisement
Now you are just trying to tread water. It is not just about the cash, it is also about the ability to become a DC and punch your ticket.

The latter part are you just guessing or did you do research? Bama just had an assistant quit after being hired for 2 months, Dan Enos left to come here, Locksley left to go to a god awful maryland team, Brent Key went from Bama to GT, Kul went to Toledo, Huff went to Marshall. I think UCF would beat Maryland, GT, Toledo and Marshall right now...

LB coach at Miami > DC at UCF. UCF is a garbage G5 team.... it would be like Texas Longhorns losing a coach to UNT (University of North Texas Eagles).

Or Georgia losing a coach to Georgia Southern. Or Tennessee to Tennesee State.

It shouldn't happen unless the school screws something up.

Here's the financial response:
University of Central Florida/Total enrollment 66,183 UCF is funded by the State of Florida
University of Miami/Total enrollment 17,003 U Miami is a privately funded University

UMiami has increased its financial support to Athletics multifold since Queen Shaloser stepped down as President. That has allowed for increased spending for coaching & support staff, as well as facilities. Never the less, it is very difficult to raise the same dollars privately as with a state funded money bag. The dollars are there to continue the trend of support at Miami.

LB coach at Miami > DC at UCF. UCF is a garbage G5 team.... it would be like Texas Longhorns losing a coach to UNT (University of North Texas Eagles).

Or Georgia losing a coach to Georgia Southern. Or Tennessee to Tennesee State.

It shouldn't happen unless the school screws something up.
That's the way YOU see it. You're a UM fan, just like 97% of us on this board. But in the coaching profession, its better to take the higher level job (MOST of the time), even if it's from a sh1tty school, JUST to have the experience of a higher position, and building your resume. The extra money that you get from the advanced position, don't hurt either.
Yes, UCF is gahbage (Agree), and UGA has lost position coaches to GA Southern. more than once. One guy who left UGA to go to GSU, was Erk.

Advertisement
That's the way YOU see it. You're a UM fan, just like 97% of us on this board. But in the coaching profession, its better to take the higher level job (MOST of the time), even if it's from a sh1tty school, JUST to have the experience of a higher position, and building your resume. The extra money that you get from the advanced position, don't hurt either.
Yes, UCF is gahbage (Agree), and UGA has lost position coaches to GA Southern. more than once. One guy who left UGA to go to GSU, was Erk.

OK if I give you that point, it still doesn't explain why Patke was our only backup plan. Not hating on Patke but our LB unit looks terrible and I don't think he's won a single recruiting battle since he's been here. He hasn't proven anything.

Lol he preferred to be “getting reps” at OSU or an instant starter here?

Just like Johnson, Stevenson, and Rambo, guys aren’t transferring unless they are pretty sure they will be starting or getting major playing time.

If Manny was assured there would be no eligibility issues, he probably would be here because Manny would have basically given him the starting job.
This is a bunch of theory. Whenguys come here to compete, we celebrate them for not being ‘afraid.’ When they go elsewhere to compete, we claim they’re dumb for not taking a sure thing or didn’t have an offer. It’s all reductionist logic that leads nowhere. The kid may well start at OSU, amd that’s a great transfer destination for someone who plays LB.

Tell the Suckeyes to get in line, we are still waiting to hear back from the NCAA on Issiah Walker's eligibility.......

Advertisement
Back