5 Hurricanes Named Semifinalists for Major Awards

Advertisement
Advertisement
All transfers.

does this mean our staff sucks at recruiting and is getting bailed out by the portal.....

or is the staff good at addressing needs after initial mistakes?
It's really amazing. All transfers.

But evaluations don't matter. Nothing to see here.

Great to see how the transfer portal has transformed the Canes. Bubba Bolden (Paycom Jim Thorpe Award), Jose Borregales (Lou Groza Award), Lou Hedley (Ray Guy Award), D’Eriq King (Davey O’Brien Award, Maxwell Award) and Jaelan Phillips (Bednarik Award) were all named semifinalists. Where would the Canes be without these transfers? I don’t want to think about it.

These players should all be future NFL draft picks from rounds 2-6. The next step is for the Canes to develop the players that it has recruited. Rousseau is a round one pick, although I hope his opting out doesn’t cause him to slip a little in the draft.

IMO, the more interesting question is: where would these transfers be without the Canes? It seems to me UM gave all of these young men a remarkable platform to demonstrate greatness, and they are all taking advantage of their opportunities. About as mutually beneficial a relationship as I can imagine.

Hopefully all of our recruiting targets are asking themselves the question as I posed it.

Well every game this year one of our many returners have fumbled a punt, there is a flag on every return punt and kick, and our kick off team gave up a td against NC State. Other than that we have the best punter/kicker duo in the country and our kickoff coverage has been solid lately. I'm not being negative, I'm just stating facts.
We have shined in the kicking game because we have 2 really good kickers. We have been dreadful in the return game as we apparently have no good kick returners. We have covered pretty well other than the NC State game and we did create a turnover last week.

To honestly analyze special teams we need to take into account the 3 different aspects of special teams; kicking, returning kicks and covering kicks.

Advertisement
tenor (10).gif

We have shined in the kicking game because we have 2 really good kickers. We have been dreadful in the return game as we apparently have no good kick returners. We have covered pretty well other than the NC State game and we did create a turnover last week.

To honestly analyze special teams we need to take into account the 3 different aspects of special teams; kicking, returning kicks and covering kicks.
Can't argue with any of that.

IMO, the more interesting question is: where would these transfers be without the Canes? It seems to me UM gave all of these young men a remarkable platform to demonstrate greatness, and they are all taking advantage of their opportunities. About as mutually beneficial a relationship as I can imagine.

Hopefully all of our recruiting targets are asking themselves the question as I posed it.
Spot on perspective! The side of the coin you cite is not mentioned often enough.

Advertisement
Ok, I understand that Justin Fields is a supreme talent. But, after only playing 5 games, the fact that he's on this list is bull****.

When it comes to Ohio State, the NCAA will take their stats from their best game against their weakest opponent and project out those stats for a full season. If this had been a full season, Fields was on pace to throw 85 TDs.

Advertisement
The competition:

Derrick Deese Jr San Jose State
Jake Ferguson Wisconsin
Brevin Jordan Miami
Charlie Kolar Iowa State
Hunter Long Boston College
Cade Otton Washington
Kyle Pitts Florida
Jalen Wydermyer Texas A&M

Advertisement
Back