5-1 Miami doesn't make ESPN FPI Top 25, 0-2 PSU does

Miami is average guys.

It is what it is and will continue with our beta coach and ad.
U Mad Reaction GIF

Advertisement
I expect them to suck off the $EC so including a three-loss L$U team ahead of us really doesn't surprise me. But now these clowns at E$PN have three different two-loss BIG12 teams (including Iowa State, who lost to the Ragin' Cajuns,) in their meaningless, Antikythera-generated FPI top 25, along with 3 PAC12 schools that haven't played a single game? And a 2-loss VagTech team (with losses to Wake and UNCvnt) that barely beat the likes of Dookie and Loserville is at 16 on their silly little list?? They even have a three-loss BIG12 team (TCU, at 26) ahead of UM (we are at 28).

Man it must suck to be aware that you're circling the drain towards irrelevancy, so much so that you are this desperate for viewership. Hate to see it happen to the "Flagship".

I expect them to suck off the $EC so including a three-loss L$U team ahead of us really doesn't surprise me. But now these clowns at E$PN have three different two-loss BIG12 teams (including Iowa State, who lost to the Ragin' Cajuns,) in their meaningless, Antikythera-generated FPI top 25, along with 3 PAC12 schools that haven't played a single game? And a 2-loss VagTech team (with losses to Wake and UNCvnt) that barely beat the likes of Dookie and Loserville is at 16 on their silly little list?? They even have a three-loss BIG12 team (TCU, at 26) ahead of UM (we are at 28).

Man it must suck to be aware that you're circling the drain towards irrelevancy, so much so that you are this desperate for viewership. Hate to see it happen to the "Flagship".
There used to be a time when people would acknowledge that they were mistaken and there was some form of stigma associated with being consistently wrong. The problem is that there are 25 teams whose fans will crow how they really understand the nuances of strength in a covid season and we're just butthurt for being left off.

People love affirmation.

Advertisement
That might actually pre-date my time, and I'm quickly approaching 34.
You can see one in the movie War Games. They kinda predate me too and I have 20 years on you. The only place I ever saw one was the IBM 3800 laser printer still used one to boot up. That was 30 years ago.

Advertisement
There used to be a time when people would acknowledge that they were mistaken and there was some form of stigma associated with being consistently wrong. The problem is that there are 25 teams whose fans will crow how they really understand the nuances of strength in a covid season and we're just butthurt for being left off.

People love affirmation.
100%. The frail human mind's struggle to avoid cognitive dissonance is a real phenomenon.

In the preseason FPI, E$PN had us at No. 37 behind Clem$on, NLame, UNCvnt, FSpoo, VagTech, and Loserville in the ACC. We lost to E$PN's pre-seaon FPI No. 1 and beat the teams they had ranked 23, 35, 43, 47, and 85. The teams they had at 23 and 35 (which their FPI formula had beating us), we easily covered the spread (and obliterated it in the case of FSpoo, their preseason 23).

UNCvnt loses to FSpoo (pre-season 23) and UVA (pre-season 47) and gets dropped from pre-season 18 to now 29 (exactly one spot behind UM). UM (who has beaten the two teams that beat UNCvnt) is 5-1, again, with the sole loss coming to E$PN's very own FPI pre-season No. 1, and we only get moved up 9 spots.

They want so badly to say we aren't a Top 25 team because they thought we were so far behind that benchmark at the start of the season. This is why I have been pretty steady for years that pre-season FPI is utter horsesh!t, and the in-season numbers that follow are just glorified confirmation bias.

For context, here’s what the FPI uses to determine it’s rankings. Feel free to point out flaws...

Attachments

• C7F4DBC6-A0AB-4393-82D7-C38292CDAE0B.jpeg
    C7F4DBC6-A0AB-4393-82D7-C38292CDAE0B.jpeg
    150.6 KB · Views: 10
  • E0BC89AC-591D-46BB-B1C8-13381D797133.jpeg
    E0BC89AC-591D-46BB-B1C8-13381D797133.jpeg
    184.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 352CB27C-7DF6-4892-96D4-917C0FBD014F.jpeg
    352CB27C-7DF6-4892-96D4-917C0FBD014F.jpeg
    110.5 KB · Views: 11
Advertisement
You can see one in the movie War Games. They kinda predate me too and I have 20 years on you. The only place I ever saw one was the IBM 3800 laser printer still used one to boot up. That was 30 years ago.

I didn’t even know an 8 inch drive existed.

Advertisement
Before the big10 even started playing, they had Indiana ranked at 24. Right behind 4-1 Miami
Thats kinda my point, how can a computer model give a ranking if a team hasnt played? There is no input. That means its actually based off of an arbitrary human opinion with some analytics thrown in. Then they sell at as some fancy computer generated non-biased rating system when its really not.

Not that I am saying we have a top 10 team or anything, I just hate ESPN

Thats kinda my point, how can a computer model give a ranking if a team hasnt played? There is no input. That means its actually based off of an arbitrary human opinion with some analytics thrown in. Then they sell at as some fancy computer generated non-biased rating system when its really not.

Not that I am saying we have a top 10 team or anything, I just hate ESPN

Bingo.

Advertisement
Back