46 seconds 3 timeouts before halftime

I get the concept of "let's see what we can get with the first play. If we get a big chunk, let's try for a score, if not, kneel it." My issue is with that call - why a draw? Why not a screen or something?

Advertisement
I would have liked to see Richt trust Kaaya to make an intelligent play, and if that doesn't work, you run the clock and get to the locker room. Taking one shot, a shot that comes with the caveat that if it's not there, throw it away, isn't that much of an ask. Remember, Georgia Tech, even if you were to go 3 and out, lacks the passing ability to score from long distances in limited clock situations. Remember, they had no timeouts, so they couldn't run, if they did get the ball back after a punt. That said, I understand Richt's logic, but a TD, or even a quick field goal in that situation probably breaks Tech's back, this game may have turned into a rout in the second half as a result.

I guess Clemson trust their third-year quarterback. They only had 31 seconds and 3 timeouts left in the 2nd quarter. They are still trying to move the ball for Points.

clemson is up 11 on lousville, and they're still trying to get in the endzone with little time left on the clock. this is how champs are built. .. as i type this, they scored a TD.

Touchdown Clemson. It took them 26 seconds to move 73 yards. They only used two time outs. Just saying.

Advertisement
Everyone in this thread is currently screaming at their TV how Dabo is an idiot for not just running out the clock and doesn't he know Deshaun Watson could have been injured on that TD drive.

Touchdown Clemson. It took them 26 seconds to move 73 yards. They only used two time outs. Just saying.

Clemson was only up 11 so they had to get desperate and try to score. Miami on the other hand had an insurmountable 14 point lead so they could have rested the starters for the entire second half if they wanted to.

Advertisement
Always let the dogs run! Players love it too. If you make a mistake it's a teaching opportunity and will only make you better when it really counts.

Advertisement
Advertisement
I thought it was weak. I'm glad it didn't bite us in the ***. I didn't like some of the other plays he called up during the game. We're a borderline top 10 team now after this weekend, and top ranked team in the state. I won't get mad until we actually lose a game in his first season though.

Last edited:
2 td lead, in your own territory , get the ball to start second half . I get it.

We fumble or throw a pick six fans would be ripping him for not taking it to the half

not really..when we were 4th and goal against app state nobody ripped Richt for going for it when Kaaya threw that pick that led to a TD.

I would have liked to see him push it there. 46 seconds with all 3 timeouts is tons of time. It's not like we're asking Kayaa to take the team 94 yards in 12 seconds. Run the 2 minute offense and see what happens. You either have confidence in your qb or you don't. With that amount of time and all the timeouts left, it's not a high risk proposition to try to move into fg range. Plus it would be good practice to run the 2 minute drill in a live game. You only get the ball x number of times in a game. Each time you get it, it's an opportunity to score. This was a waste of one of those opportunities.

Richt's conservative nature is the biggest thing that worries me so far. Running out the clock with all our timeouts was Butch-esque. I also really despise how safe he plays it with our returners.

Advertisement
Back