4-star S Kinchens puts Canes in top 5, talks next steps

View as article
Advertisement
Auburn late yesterday - interview with Kinchens on 247 board:

Kamren Kinchens, a top Auburn safety target from Miami (Fla.) Northwestern, is down to three.

According to the 4-star recruit, he will choose between Auburn, Miami and Texas A&M when he reveals his commitment decision July 11 at noon ET on Twitter.

“Those are my final three, you could say,” Kinchens told Auburn Undercover on Thursday.

From that group, most intel points to this being a Auburn-Miami battle.

“Right now, it’s a tight race, because I have such a close relationship with (Miami secondary coach Ephraim) Banda and (Auburn secondary coach Wesley) McGriff,” Kinchens said.

Both programs have things working in their favor.

With the Hurricanes, the program is close to home and his school has practically been a pipeline to that university for year. Kinchens has lived in Miami his entire life and has friends both on the team and committed to the Hurricanes.

Also, Miami is working the “Name, Image and Likeness” angle well. The NCAA plans to vote in Jan. 2021 whether to allow athletes to market themselves and profit off it. Most think it's all but a done deal.

“They’ve talked to me about the whole marketing thing coming in 2021,” Kinchens said. “They have a big marketing place.”

Auburn, being in a relatively small town, is not a detriment, Kinchens said. Actually, it’s the opposite. When he visited the school earlier this year, Kinchens and his parents enjoyed the Auburn and the community.

“They loved it,” Kinchens said. “For the most part, Auburn is not a flashy town. You can see they care about the football. It would be some place to go and just focus on football and school. For the most part, I felt the same things my parents were thinking. It’s easier to focus on what you need to focus on. There’s not too many distractions.”

According to Kinchens, both programs are recruiting him equally hard. He said he hasn’t told either yet where he’s headed entering his anticipated commitment date.

Which school has a more favorable depth chart?

“It’s Auburn I’d say,” Kinchens said. “I feel I can beat anyone at a spot honestly. Both of them have some good incoming juniors. The juniors should be able to get drafted. I just feel like I can beat the Auburn kids that just came in easier than the Miami kids that just checked in.”

According to Kinchens, he has not yet finalized his choice.

“I haven’t made a decision yet,” Kinchens said. “There is no No. 1 factor. Everything will come into play. Everything is a factor.”

As for his family, he said they’re open to any school..

“They don’t care.” Kinchens said. “Wherever I choose to go, they’re willing to come. That’s really not an issue.”
This is definitely a tight battle and Auburn has lots going for them but I think having so many MNW kids committed in his ear will be the difference maker for us.

This is definitely a tight battle and Auburn has lots going for them but I think having so many MNW kids committed in his ear will be the difference maker for us.

I know what everyone has been saying about Kinchens and Miami but this feels like a close one. Too many things being said by the kid to think he isn't seriously considering Auburn. Sometimes having all the friends in his ear doesn't work the way you hope. It's hard to get a feel for how high Kinchens is on their board other than they keep writing articles and interviewing him.

IDk Or he is really trying to build suspense.

I know what everyone has been saying about Kinchens and Miami but this feels like a close one. Too many things being said by the kid to think he isn't seriously considering Auburn. Sometimes having all the friends in his ear doesn't work the way you hope. It's hard to get a feel for how high Kinchens is on their board other than they keep writing articles and interviewing him.

He is seriously considering Auburn, I just think we win out. Longer standing relationship & a bunch of Cane commits on his team give us an edge IMO.

Advertisement
I stopped reading after the it’s easier to beat out Auburn kids. This is why we are in the situation we’ve been in for the last 15 years South Florida kids want things given to them and don’t wanna put forth the effort!

Also he said where ever he goes they will come. Which means auburn is offering housing/jobs for parents. I know they games auburn plays. Hope he picks miami but would be shocked by Auburn.

Scared money talk. He's still going to get recruited hard either way.

Advertisement
Advertisement
So he basically said he's scared of the competition at Miami but not at Auburn🤔🤔.. Big pass if true.. if you can't beat out the next man then he sounds like a future transfer portal....

I think he was just making an assessment of the guys in front of him at both schools. I see your point but don’t necessarily agree with how you’re perceiving it, given what’s been reported about Kinchens and his competitiveness

I stopped reading after the it’s easier to beat out Auburn kids. This is why we are in the situation we’ve been in for the last 15 years South Florida kids want things given to them and don’t wanna put forth the effort!
Wait, didn’t they ask him who depth chart more favorable? Maybe I read it wrong but he just answered a question imo

Last edited:
Advertisement
Advertisement
Back