4-star RB Murphy looks to rejoin NY teammates at Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
With offers from big-time schools all around the country, Christ the King (NY) 4-star RB Tirek Murphy is already considered one of the top RB’s in the 2020 class. In 8 games this past season, the 6’0” 220 pound back rushed for 627 yards and 7 TD’s, along with 13 catches for 131 yards and 2 TD’s out of the backfield. Although his team did not quite reach their goals, Murphy expects to hop right back into the state title conversation in 2019.

“My season went good but there’s still always room for improvement,” Murphy said. “We lost in the quarterfinals, but we are even hungrier this year.”

Towards the end of the 2019 cycle, the Miami Hurricanes made a concerted effort to focus on the New York area and Murphy’s Christ the King teammates OT Adam ElGammal and DT Jared Harrison-Hunte, along with Poly Prep’s Jason Blissett, all ended up signing with Miami. The group from the Big Apple all made their way down to Miami for the first time together to get to know the coaching staff better and check out the sights on campus.

“I went on the visit with my teammates who were on their official visits,” Murphy said. “We did the photo shoot and all that. Now that 3 of my guys are going there, it means a lot.”

Murphy says the “New York to Miami” movement is real and that the group still talk all the time about playing together again at UM. Aside from his close friends being in Coral Gables, what else attracts Murphy to Miami’s program?

“The U is legendary,” Murphy said. “Growing up, all I heard about was Miami and the tradition of die-hard football. The grind is real there and I love the grind.”

In terms of other schools, Murphy says he’s in contact with Tennessee, LSU, Oregon, Notre Dame, Purdue, and Pitt often. An early decision does not appear to be in the cards for the Christ the King HS star, as Murphy wants to take his time and make sure he is making the right choice. When it comes time for a commitment, though, it’s clear a big factor will be Murphy’s bond with the coaching staff.

“I want a great relationship with all the coaches and a school that I get the best vibe off of. But mainly relationships with the coaches.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Nice back and I agree with Cribby, I was not all that impressed but at 6' 220lbs not bad. If he comes, he comes.

Advertisement
Normally when you see a kid at RB his size in HS you see a lot gaudier numbers and little more "wow" factor on the film. Especially considering his level of competition. That being said i didn't see any holes in his game. He did everything well, just nothing outstanding imo. I'd like to see some testing #'s on him. All i could find were some track #'s that arent good but they were from his sophmore year so i wouldn't put too much stock in it.

200m 24.39 (sophmore HS)

For an player comparison (Their college times are listed)
Deion Sanders 20.76
Jerome Mathis 20.32

Advertisement
With offers from big-time schools all around the country, Christ the King (NY) 4-star RB Tirek Murphy is already considered one of the top RB’s in the 2020 class. In 8 games this past season, the 6’0” 220 pound back rushed for 627 yards and 7 TD’s, along with 13 catches for 131 yards and 2 TD’s out of the backfield. Although his team did not quite reach their goals, Murphy expects to hop right back into the state title conversation in 2019.

“My season went good but there’s still always room for improvement,” Murphy said. “We lost in the quarterfinals, but we are even hungrier this year.”

Towards the end of the 2019 cycle, the Miami Hurricanes made a concerted effort to focus on the New York area and Murphy’s Christ the King teammates OT Adam ElGammal and DT Jared Harrison-Hunte, along with Poly Prep’s Jason Blissett, all ended up signing with Miami. The group from the Big Apple all made their way down to Miami for the first time together to get to know the coaching staff better and check out the sights on campus.

“I went on the visit with my teammates who were on their official visits,” Murphy said. “We did the photo shoot and all that. Now that 3 of my guys are going there, it means a lot.”

Murphy says the “New York to Miami” movement is real and that the group still talk all the time about playing together again at UM. Aside from his close friends being in Coral Gables, what else attracts Murphy to Miami’s program?

“The U is legendary,” Murphy said. “Growing up, all I heard about was Miami and the tradition of die-hard football. The grind is real there and I love the grind.”

In terms of other schools, Murphy says he’s in contact with Tennessee, LSU, Oregon, Notre Dame, Purdue, and Pitt often. An early decision does not appear to be in the cards for the Christ the King HS star, as Murphy wants to take his time and make sure he is making the right choice. When it comes time for a commitment, though, it’s clear a big factor will be Murphy’s bond with the coaching staff.

“I want a great relationship with all the coaches and a school that I get the best vibe off of. But mainly relationships with the coaches.”

Thank you Stefan!

Stefan, thanks mate. It’s great to hear that up in the NY area those kids still love the legend of the U, considering we haven’t been a real version of that in @15yrs sans the 2017 start. Here’s hoping we keep the pipeline open and continue recruiting kids from upstate. That can only lead to good things for Miami.

Advertisement
Tbh I was like meh until I saw his size , 6’0 220 running like that and lining out wide is really impressive.

Big , physical , good hands and can be used in the pass game. You don’t see these types too often , very intriguing prospect.

But do you take him over Parrish or Holmes?

Normally when you see a kid at RB his size in HS you see a lot gaudier numbers and little more "wow" factor on the film. Especially considering his level of competition. That being said i didn't see any holes in his game. He did everything well, just nothing outstanding imo. I'd like to see some testing #'s on him. All i could find were some track #'s that arent good but they were from his sophmore year so i wouldn't put too much stock in it.

200m 24.39 (sophmore HS)

For an player comparison (Their college times are listed)
Deion Sanders 20.76
Jerome Mathis 20.32

1. That was indoor track time for the 200m with 2 turns as a sophomore
  2. He is 220 pounds
  3. What do the other two have to do with this RB?

1. That was indoor track time for the 200m with 2 turns as a sophomore.
  2. He is 220 pounds
  3. What do the other two have to do with this RB?

1. I clearly stated that was his sophmore time
  2. Very unlikely he weighed 220 when he ran that.
  3. It's so people who don't know how to evaluate track times have a couple of players to measure his time against. Leonard Fournette ran a 21.71 in HS if that helps you.

Advertisement
Back