4 Star PF Matt Cross commits

According to a source, it was Jim Larranaga’s decision Thursday to drop four-star freshman Matt Cross from the basketball program, which was a surprise because UM at one point thought he could develop into a quality long-term starter.

Before the season, Larranaga compared him to the Heat’s Duncan Robinson from a three-point shooting standpoint.

We’re told Larranaga had trouble getting through to Cross, who had confidence issues and became detached when he wasn’t playing well, according to a source.

Cross did not violate any UM rules or have any disciplinary issues, according to the source.

Cross told colleague Michelle Kaufman on Friday that “unfortunately it did not work out,” among other things you can read here.

Cross averaged 6.3 points and 3.9 rebounds in 14 games, including nine starts. He shot 45.5 percent and 40 percent on threes (20 for 50).

But Cross went scoreless in his past two games, shooting 0 for 3 against Syracuse and 0 for 5 against Notre Dame.

Miami’s 81-59 loss to FSU dropped the Canes to 6-9 and 2-8 in the ACC. UM plays at Wake Forest at 2 p.m. on Saturday before hosting Duke at 7 p.m. on Monday.

I'm taking that with a massive grain of salt because it sounds like nonsense, but if that's truly all it was, maybe Jim's trying to get fired.

Advertisement
I'm taking that with a massive grain of salt because it sounds like nonsense, but if that's truly all it was, maybe Jim's trying to get fired.

I completely agree with you.
If I am coaching and a player is struggling offensively, I would just draw up a play to get him a layup to give him confidence in himself.
Kicking him off the team is never the option for me. Sitting the bench or not playing always opens eyes.
I cannot justify this in any way, shape or form.

If I am coaching and a player is struggling offensively, I would just draw up a play to get him a layup to give him confidence in himself.
Kicking him off the team is never the option for me. Sitting the bench or not playing always opens eyes.

Plus, he's been here for FIFTEEN games. You determined he wasn't fixable or couldn't change in 15 games? Really?

Advertisement
Miami doesn’t run half court sets. We have not since Konkol and Huger left. It’s comical given how bad we are offensively. No sets on baseline either.

It’s really amazing how bad L and staff have been for years now

Last edited:
On cue, lost lead at 10 minute mark and rarely challenged thereafter against a 1-7 team. Double digit loses to bottom feeders Wake, ND, BC and Cuse. Well done Jim. Look on the bright side. We have Duke and VPI coming in then UNC on the road.

Miami doesn’t run half court sets. We have not since Konkol and Huger left. It’s comical given how bad we are offensively. No sets on baseline either.

It’s really amazing how bad L and staff have been for years now
How many good looks do we get in a game? Maybe 5? You notice how every game the announcers always comment how the ball sticks and there’s no movement. This has been a huge glaring issue since Konkol and Huger left. It’s not unique to this season.

Advertisement
Back