4-star FSU LB commit Greene lands UM offer, plans visit

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2020 Wakulla (FL) 4-star LB Keyshawn Greene has been an FSU commit for over a year and a half at this point, so naturally he was in the Florida State recruiting section for the big rivalry matchup between the Seminoles and the Miami Hurricanes last weekend. The Canes came out on top, 27-10, but Greene saw positives in both teams’ performances.

“Both teams played a good game, but they both made a lot of mistakes,” Greene said. “I like how Miami’s defense played, they come downhill a lot.”

Of course, the day after the game, the FSU athletic department dropped a bombshell: Head coach Willie Taggart had been fired after posting a 9-12 record through his second season in Tallahassee.

“That was pretty sad, I really liked coach Taggart,” Greene said. “He was a good coach, it just hurts right now. I don’t know who’s going to be the head coach now, so there’s uncertainty.”

Did Taggart have a big impact on him committing to FSU in the first place?

“Yes sir, he did,” Greene said. “They’re still my number 1, but I’m going to keep my options open for now.”

With all the turmoil going on at FSU this week, the Miami coaching staff wasted no timing in offering the talented linebacker and letting him know he had a home in Coral Gables.

“It felt real good, I’ve been waiting for that offer for a long time,” Greene said of UM. “When I was younger, I used to watch them play, I liked how they played on defense. I was a fan.”

Outside linebackers coach Jon Patke has taken the lead in this recruitment and has been tasked with getting Greene to flip from the rival Seminoles.

“I talked to the coaches before, but this was our first time talking in a long time,” Greene said. “I spoke with coach Patke, he said I’d fit in with their defense there.”

Did Miami’s win over FSU move UM up in his mind?

“I’d say it’s the same with them, one game won’t make a difference,” Greene said of Miami. “I know they got a great brotherhood down there, they play together, and they ball out. They come out as one.”

The 6-3 205 pound prospect has also heard from schools such as UF, Auburn, and Nebraska since Taggart’s departure, and Greene said he knows of two trips he wants to make in the future.

“I’m going to visit (Miami) soon,” Greene said. “I got Nebraska as well, I want to visit them soon too.”

With the question marks in the FSU program right now, Greene feels it is best for him not to sign early next month and take his time to see what other schools have to offer, especially in the realm of academics.

“I really don’t look at football,” Greene said. “I look at the education, see how their program is, how their academic stuff is.”

Living just outside of Tallahassee in Crawfordville, Florida State is the local school for Greene. Does he feel that staying home is a big factor in his recruitment?

“I wouldn’t say that. I like it, but there ain’t nothing out here really,” Greene said.

Green has helped the War Eagles run the table thus far in 2019, as Wakulla has gone 10-0 in the regular season with the first round of the playoffs coming up today vs. Suwannee. With 100 tackles, 6 TFL, 3 sacks, 1 INT, 2 PBU’s, and a blocked kick, Greene has certainly made his senior season count.

“The seasons going good,” Greene said. “We’re playing the games one by one, trying to get to states.”

At the Opening Orlando Regional in February, Greene posted a 4.49 40-yard dash, a 4.66 short shuttle, and a 28.70 inch vertical leap.

Advertisement
Advertisement
This kid is locked into FSU, an just giving lip service for a few free trips and some corn feed Nebraska luvin (they offer multiple hostesses per recruit).

In the end he will probably wait until. February to sign with FSU to see whom they hire as new head coach.

Go Canes
No way hes not going to FSU. I appreciate the effort on our part.

Talk to me when he decommits.

Advertisement
If only south Florida kids were as locked into the Canes that they didn’t talk to other teams unless something like a coach firing happens.....

one can wish right?

don’t know if we can get this kid to deflect. BUT he will have a chance to prove if education and program culture are really the most important thing to him. Because none of those other schools can offer that compared to Miami right.

Neb. is on the verge of being in shambles right now. Forst is getting the “don’t have the atheletes” mulligan but when will Nebraska ever have the athletes? Everyone thought he was this great X & Os guy but so far he’s not. He’s been worst than his predecessors and hasn’t even been competitive vs. the better teams (which is the most alarming part).

FSU same as above.

Outside linebackers coach Jon Patke has taken the lead in this recruitment and has been tasked with getting Greene to flip from the rival Seminoles.

Has Patke landed ANYONE of value?

Advertisement
With the question marks in the FSU program right now, Greene feels it is best for him not to sign early next month and take his time to see what other schools have to offer, especially in the realm of academics.

“I really don’t look at football,” Greene said. “I look at the education, see how their program is, how their academic stuff is.”

"look at the education"; committed to fsu

so he wants the education that requires you to breathe on your own for 3-4 years and come out with a degree. got it.

This kid is locked into FSU, an just giving lip service for a few free trips and some corn feed Nebraska luvin (they offer multiple hostesses per recruit).

In the end he will probably wait until. February to sign with FSU to see whom they hire as new head coach.

Go Canes

More than likely.

Advertisement
So how many **** LBs would the staff take lol? Somebody committed would have to get dropped

I think we all agree this kid isn't flipping. I think he is doing his due diligence in case whoever the new HC is doesn't want him. Have to account for that if you are a recruit and a new staff comes onboard. Need a solid backup plan. Good job by the staff to make sure if that does happen we are his solid plan B.

Go Canes

Multiple hostesses? No wonder you often hear a recruit say "Yeah I went to Nebraska for an official visit with a teammate. Just wanted to check it out". Makes sense now. lol

Advertisement
Back