4-star DT commit Collins goes in-depth on pledge at UA Miami

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
2021 Miami Palmetto (FL) 4-star DT Savion Collins has been committed to the Miami Hurricanes for nearly a year and a half at this point, but at the Under Armour Miami Camp this past weekend, Collins admitted UM's down season in 2019 has him questioning his pledge.

“My commitment’s not rocky, but things need to improve (at Miami),” Collins said. “It’s being hyped up, and I don’t get my results. And I know it’s not just me, other recruits have told me the same thing. It’s coming down to this season - I’m about to be a senior, time’s almost up for me, so I have to make a final decision.”

When asked if he could expand on what he meant by that, Collins had this to say.

“My relationship with them is not bad, they haven’t done anything bad to me,” Collins said of Miami. “I just have to make the best decision for me.”

Ultimately, can Collins see himself sticking with Miami if they show improvement in 2020?

“As long as I see things coming along this year, we should be good,” Collins said. “But they need to work on stuff. I’ve got to keep my options open, that’s all I’m going to say.”

The 6-4 290 pound prospect was last on campus in late January for Miami’s Junior Day event with his teammates and said he enjoyed his time in Coral Gables.

“It was cool, me and the team went, so it was a good bonding experience,” Collins said.

Collins mainly spoke with DL coach Todd Stroud on the trip, but indicated that he’s looking to hear more from his position coach day-to-day.

“Our relationship is okay. We don’t talk a lot, but it’s fine,” Collins said of Stroud.

As for other programs involved here, Collins points to UF, LSU, Georgia, and Auburn as schools he hears from regularly, and he recently is coming off a visit to Florida this past Friday as well. As for his next trip, Collins said he will likely be making a return visit to see the defending national champions again in April.

“Probably LSU, I know the rest of the team wanted to get up there,” Collins said. “I’ve seen them (last summer), they have a lot of good things going on up there. The coaches tell me it’s a good program, and that I can expect a lot of good things from them in the future too.”

Aside from winning on the field, what aspect of other schools will Collins be looking at that could potentially pull him away from his UM commitment?

“The relationship with me and the coaches, because that’s what I’m big on," Collins said. "Most colleges out there, the coach couldn’t care less about his players, so that’s not a place I want to go.”

On the field, Collins has kept his performance high and earned an invite to the UA All-America Game yesterday with a strong effort in the trenches against a solid group of offensive linemen.

"I dominated. I had to keep up with LT (Leonard Taylor)."

At the Opening Miami Regional last February, Collins recorded a 4.97 shuttle time and a 32.80 inch vertical leap.

Advertisement
“Our relationship is okay. We don’t talk a lot, but it’s fine,” Collins said of Stroud.

“The relationship with me and the coaches, because that’s what I’m big on. Most colleges out there, the coach couldn’t care less about his players, so that’s not a place I want to go.”

Not a good combo

Advertisement
2021 Miami Palmetto (FL) 4-star DT Savion Collins has been committed to the Miami Hurricanes for nearly a year and a half at this point, but at the Under Armour Miami Camp this past weekend, Collins admitted UM's down season in 2019 has him questioning his pledge.

“My commitment’s not rocky, but things need to improve (at Miami),” Collins said. “It’s being hyped up, and I don’t get my results. And I know it’s not just me, other recruits have told me the same thing. It’s coming down to this season - I’m about to be a senior, time’s almost up for me, so I have to make a final decision.”

When asked if he could expand on what he meant by that, Collins had this to say.

“My relationship with them is not bad, they haven’t done anything bad to me,” Collins said of Miami. “I just have to make the best decision for me.”

Ultimately, can Collins see himself sticking with Miami if they show improvement in 2020?

“As long as I see things coming along this year, we should be good,” Collins said. “But they need to work on stuff. I’ve got to keep my options open, that’s all I’m going to say.”

The 6-4 290 pound prospect was last on campus in late January for Miami’s Junior Day event with his teammates and said he enjoyed his time in Coral Gables.

“It was cool, me and the team went, so it was a good bonding experience,” Collins said.

Collins mainly spoke with DL coach Todd Stroud on the trip, but indicated that he’s looking to hear more from his position coach day-to-day.

As for other programs involved here, Collins points to UF, LSU, Georgia, and Auburn as schools he hears from regularly, and he recently is coming off a visit to Florida this past Friday as well. As for his next trip, Collins said he will likely be making a return visit to see the defending national champions again in April.

“Probably LSU, I know the rest of the team wanted to get up there,” Collins said. “I’ve seen them (last summer), they have a lot of good things going on up there. The coaches tell me it’s a good program, and that I can expect a lot of good things from them in the future too.”

Aside from winning on the field, what aspect of other schools will Collins be looking at that could potentially pull him away from his UM commitment?

“The relationship with me and the coaches, because that’s what I’m big on," Collins said. "Most colleges out there, the coach couldn’t care less about his players, so that’s not a place I want to go.”

On the field, Collins has kept his performance high and earned an invite to the UA All-America Game yesterday with a strong effort in the trenches against a solid group of offensive linemen.

"I dominated. I had to keep up with LT (Leonard Taylor)."

At the Opening Miami Regional last February, Collins recorded a 4.97 shuttle time and a 32.80 inch vertical leap.

Wow. This is not trending in the right direction

Advertisement
This young man is borderline disrespectful. I understand his mom wants him at UM and I’m happy for that. But he talks as though he has accomplished something in life, which he has not. High school playing ability is next to accomplishing nothing in life.
I remember being on a plane shortly before graduating law school at Emory University and thinking that if the plane crashed a list of my accomplishments on a tombstone would read,”he was a pretty good student”.
and then I graduated and did everything possible to impact as many lives in a meaningful way. Everyone’s path is different but this kid hasn’t done **** and I hope someone tells him before he flames out.

Hes partially right, things need to improve on the field but his tone is suspect af. I dnt mind diva WRs but divas at DT is a bad mix.

Like I said in another post if the Palmetto want to ride, peace out, we'll see u on the otherside. We are coming, fit in or fit out. #DontBeJadenFrancois

Advertisement
Translation: Hey ******** (s) (BLAKE AND MANNY), win the ******* games you're suppose to win or get ready for more recruits flocking for greener pastures.

I have ZERO issues with this kid's stance. If my kid was a highly touted recruit, and as much as it pains me to say it, I'd be hesitant to trust him to this staff unless MAJOR improvements happen this season.

Welcome to the reality that is life and and big time college football. NONE of what he said is wrong or should come as a surprise.

Last edited:
I do not see a problem with his comments. We lost to FIU/GT/Louisiana Tech and Stroud has not proved himself as a recruiter. Just wants us to prove its not all hype, which is usually the case.

It says more about the kid that he DIDN'T automatically leave the class after the FIU game. That was an embarrassing display that should have been a fireable offense for EVERYONE involved on the football side of the athletic department.

We did this to ourselves. It's why many of us won't shut up about the incompetence that is our administration....it filters itself down to every aspect of the football program and dies at the feet of recruiting.

Advertisement
I hate kids when they’re cryptic. Be fckng specific.
This leaves the window open to everything from winning a few more games to making the **** playoffs. Literally anything in between can be an excuse to leave. He’s gone folks accept it. This is literally the thing all the decommits have said. Granted the team hasn’t held up their end of the bargain but saying he needs to see stuff is just paving the way to decommitment. Can only imagine when the bag schools start comming at him.
4.9 and 33 vert at 300lbs. No way we hold on to him.

I'd hate a job where I'm focused on teaching who's in front of me and having to talk to a kid every single day. I don't talk to my dang family that much it's ridiculous what the heck do you say every single day?

Advertisement
Back