4-star CB Markevious Brown close to cutting list, talks UM

View as article
Which one is it? Rumph is a bad recruiter, so Manny took him off the trail... Or Rumph actually pick the Corners he want recruits them, but fails... One minute he's only the developer everybody else is the sniper, but when they commit somewhere else... Rumph is the problem. I guess he was the problem when Jaden Davis and Asante Samuel Jr both wanted to be here... Yet, Wasn't givin the green light. So again which one is it? Spell it out for me if you know the arrangement.
It's been discussed before but no one wants to believe it. I guess it's just easier to blame Rumph.

Some of you need to reread the 🚨🚨 ¡ MIKE RUMPH ! 🚨🚨 thread. Rumph does not and never has controlled the CB board. He can't green light an offer to any one. Excerpts
Ima say this and leave it alone. What Rumph can do is coach everybody; what Rumph cannot do is identify a cb and green light an offer. If you are going to blame anyone for missing cb targets, it should be 1. Diaz & 2. Banda. Mike has a directive on exactly what he can do regarding recruiting.

I don’t understand how people can see what he did as a coach (especially at AH) and think he can’t recruit or teach. This reminds me of how people shytted on Randy Shannon while other programs raved about him. Just about all of the coaches on Randy’s staff are still collecting checks but so called Canes fans still bash the guy knowing he did not have any support. Fkn crazy.
Who knows. It goes against the flow (after all we all know "Rumph Can't Cruit"), but maybe he bailed everyone's *** out with the last minute signings after their CB strategy failed.

Another questions his coaching
If he's such a good teacher, why can't he coach safety, a position he played in the nfl?

Compared to the vast majority of DB coaches, he is doing a quarter of the job.
The answer
Rumph coaches corners, strikers & safeties
So in other words, (1) he can't identify and offer a recruit, and (2) he coaches the entire defensive backfield (including strikers). It's a crazy structure. I'm not saying it's right or wrong. I'm just saying what responsibilities have been laid out.

Advertisement
I'm done with the stupid contortions you guys are doing to protect Rump. If you're happy with a guy who coaches 8 players being a complete zero recruiting, then that's cool. You guys act like chicks who got sweet dycked. You'll twist yourselves up in a ball like David Blaine to protect this dude.
Don't forget the safeties and strikers.

CBs around the country don't turn around unless they're in phase. No DB coach tells his DBs to look back for the football if they're not running stride for stride. Just a recipe to lose the WR as the ball goes over their head. Mike Jackson turned to locate the football all the time because he was generally in the pocket of a WR so losing the guy while the ball was in the air wasn't an issue. The narrative that are our CBs don't look back for the ball is played anyway. That **** happened in the Orange Bowl and to safeties a couple times btw now people want to pretend like they see it all the time. Unfortunately when our guys get beat, they get beat so bad that looking back for the ball won't mean a thing. See the UNC game
Don't try to tell that to these guys. You're just putting yourself in the middle of a good rant.

We keep hearing this from people that have connections to the program. That Rumph is only allowed to recruit corner backs in the area that he’s Responsible for and that he’s not in charge of evaluating what kids we should offer at the position.
I can understand that you have to distribute recruits in a geographic location and divide that amongst your staff. It’s good for logistics it’s good for fairness. But people have said that he’s not even allowed to evaluate and make a decision on what kids to offer at corner back?
You’re telling me that a guy like LCE can name off 7 or 8 kids in the state of Florida who can absolutely play at the highest level And should be offered but Manny isn’t allowing Rumph to do it?

Is it because he doesn’t want to, is it because he’s not good at it, or is it because he doesn’t know how to do it.
I doubt it's any of those. No one can convince me he can't recognize a good CB when he sees one. I think because this is his first college job, they don't trust him. But I have no inside knowledge.
This is why I say that Manny needs to reevaluate what’s going on with recruiting at that position. If Rumph is not allowed to evaluate and make a decision on who should be offered at the position he played at in the highest level then Someone needs to ask why that is if indeed it’s true.

But if it is true then you have to imagine that it’s creating a **** of a lot of tension on that staff considering how much heat Rumph is getting from our fanbase and how much he’s getting clowned by other teams. That man is getting criticized by everyone every time we miss on a corner even though he wasn’t involved with any part of his recruitment.
Mike is in a no win situation. He has to coach up half the defense with talent he seemingly has no input on. He gets the criticism if he fails. Manny and Banda gets the praise if he succeeds.

I doubt it's any of those. No one can convince me he can't recognize a good CB when he sees one. I think because this is his first college job, they don't trust him. But I have no inside knowledge.

Mike is in a no win situation. He has to coach up half the defense with talent he seemingly has no input on. He gets the criticism if he fails. Manny and Banda gets the praise if he succeeds.

brah we got Banda out from behind the bar of tijuana flats identifying and evaluating.

That whole he has to coach up thing is a myth. Mike is that you?.

These are his recruits currently if he fails this year its on him. If he fails on landing another palm beach kid..its on him(Markevious Brown)

Advertisement
brah we got Banda out from behind the bar of tijuana flats identifying and evaluating.

That whole he has to coach up thing is a myth. Mike is that you?.

These are his recruits currently if he fails this year its on him. If he fails on landing another palm beach kid..its on him(Markevious Brown)
LOL , no I'm not Mike. This whole coach up thing and not being able green light a recruit is based on others that are closer to it than me. Quotes were provided.

I'm not or never calmed he's an ACE recruiter but there seems to be more to this than he can't recruit so get rid of him. If you have insight, I'm all ears.

LOL , no I'm not Mike. This whole coach up thing and not being able green light a recruit is based on others that are closer to it than me. Quotes were provided.

I'm not or never calmed he's an ACE recruiter but there seems to be more to this than he can't recruit so get rid of him. If you have insight, I'm all ears.

if his group flounders this yr there may be a case to....but DVD and other guys are hellping a bit in recruiting (cooney).

I just want a cohesive board at cb..something we never have.

For example look at rb..right now we have a contingency if thad flips we had 3 or 4 guys lined up...

if his group flounders this yr there may be a case to....but DVD and other guys are hellping a bit in recruiting (cooney).

I just want a cohesive board at cb..something we never have.

For example look at rb..right now we have a contingency if thad flips we had 3 or 4 guys lined up...
I don't mind going after high rated guys particularly if they're from So Fla. But what I don't understand (and this may fall under the category of cohesive CB board), why don't they target the next level and aggressively recruit them early. I not talking about the jags but solid 4* types like Assante Samuels, Kaiir Elam, Jaden Davis, etc. Otherwise, we left scrambling when the "elites" go else where.

We seem to put all our eggs in the elite basket every year.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Besides Nesta, the rest of our DTs are 3 stars. Besides Huff and Mcloud, the rest of LBs are 3 stars. Where is all this five star talent at the other ? At DE we are starting two transfers, but I'll give you DE and Safety.
Not true! Ford, blissett, Harrison hunte were all four stars. And the only reason brooks wasn’t a FIVE star was because of his knee injury. He’s 5 star talent and was predicted by all the recruiting sites to eventually be a 5 star by the time his senior season started. And those two transfer your talking about, well one was the number one D end transfer In CFB and the other was the number one recruit in the country. Get back to me when Dumph can get two CB transfers here of that quality to play for him. Smh

Besides the safety position, has any position on defense clearly out recruited corners?
I think part of it is not just who we bring in, but how we bring them in. Whether it is Rumph, Diaz, Baker, our CB board is always a mess. If and when we strike out on the local five stars, there is no backup plan.

We have some nice players, but numbers are low and we have lost out on guys that would play here because of our board being a mess. We have managed to get Williams late, but you can’t rely on that every year and there is no reason that we should be.

Advertisement
Not true! Ford, blissett, Harrison hunte were all four stars. And the only reason brooks wasn’t a FIVE star was because of his knee injury. He’s 5 star talent and was predicted by all the recruiting sites to eventually be a 5 star by the time his senior season started. And those two transfer your talking about, well one was the number one D end transfer In CFB and the other was the number one recruit in the country. Get back to me when Dumph can get two CB transfers here of that quality to play for him. Smh
The talent we have at corner is on par with the rest of the team. 4 star recruits.

As far as CB goes, we only have one proven guy, low numbers, and in the last two classes, we’re getting two guys who are transitioning into the position. Not good enough, IMO

I don't mind going after high rated guys particularly if they're from So Fla. But what I don't understand (and this may fall under the category of cohesive CB board), why don't they target the next level and aggressively recruit them early. I not talking about the jags but solid 4* types like Assante Samuels, Kaiir Elam, Jaden Davis, etc. Otherwise, we left scrambling when the "elites" go else where.

We seem to put all our eggs in the elite basket every year.
I think Rumph has already landed two of those guys in Burns and Curtis. Certainly Burns fits the Samuels bill. But he needs to land the big game, too. We've gotten them at DT, DE, and S. Rumph and Patke are 0 for at LB and CB. They get the next level, kids that deserve to be at Miami no doubt. I absolutely love guys like Brooks, Chase Smith and Couch. But they just don't get the elite guys.

I'll give Rumph a B- given the state of the program, the Head Coaches and being able to bring in some solid CB and Safeties. Their are better CB coaches and recruiters, but I'm not 100% certain they, given the same state of the program and Head Coaches, would have been able to convince the Surtains'. Campbells', Jobes' and Stevensons' to choose Miami over the schools they signed with. If we sign M. Brown, I'll give this years DB haul an A. Otherwise an A- because of the Safety haul. IMO they should keep Curtis at WR because he is so fast. If they play him at CB, I don't think you have to worry about WR out running him.
I swear Rump is the only dude who can fail so spectacularly so often and UM fans giving him B-. They better not ever make this dude HC, or it'll be a lifetime appointment. Supreme Court Justice Michael J. Rump.

Advertisement
Back