4-star CB Markevious Brown close to cutting list, talks UM

View as article
Does this go back to Rumph not being able to offer who he wants?
We keep hearing this from people that have connections to the program. That Rumph is only allowed to recruit corner backs in the area that he’s Responsible for and that he’s not in charge of evaluating what kids we should offer at the position.
I can understand that you have to distribute recruits in a geographic location and divide that amongst your staff. It’s good for logistics it’s good for fairness. But people have said that he’s not even allowed to evaluate and make a decision on what kids to offer at corner back?
You’re telling me that a guy like LCE can name off 7 or 8 kids in the state of Florida who can absolutely play at the highest level And should be offered but Manny isn’t allowing Rumph to do it?

Is it because he doesn’t want to, is it because he’s not good at it, or is it because he doesn’t know how to do it.
This is why I say that Manny needs to reevaluate what’s going on with recruiting at that position. If Rumph is not allowed to evaluate and make a decision on who should be offered at the position he played at in the highest level then Someone needs to ask why that is if indeed it’s true.

But if it is true then you have to imagine that it’s creating a **** of a lot of tension on that staff considering how much heat Rumph is getting from our fanbase and how much he’s getting clowned by other teams. That man is getting criticized by everyone every time we miss on a corner even though he wasn’t involved with any part of his recruitment.

Advertisement
I've said this in multiple threads but the writing has been on the wall with Rumph for some time. He was essentially let go two offseasons in a row and somehow convinced Manny each time to retain him.

He's a decent DB coach at best who has done just enough to keep his job, and I have no doubt he will find a random 4 star kid to flip at the 11th hour just like he's done the past 4 years.
I wish Rump was as persuasive with recruits as he is begging Manny to keep him every offseason.

Six (6) scholarship CBs on the roster. Two TFs (Dunson & Clarke), two sophomores (Couch & Williams), and two juniors (Blades and Ivey). Two guys committed for 2021 (Burns & Curtis). Clarke and Curtis are both developmental projects with raw tools that need to learn to play the position. Couch is a sticky cover corner and a dog, but, in a world where we have any real CB depth, he probably takes a shirt last season to physically develop. Strong chance Burns ends up in a similar position next year as Couch was in last year (that is, being asked to contribute as a TF).

Focusing on the positive, I like Blades and hope he has a break-out season (of course, if he really does, who knows whether he stays for year 4). Couch is a future 2-year starter at CB for us. Burns could be a very solid nickleback once he develops his body. And Curtis has some exciting physical tools (but will need to learn to play CB), though I am more excited to see him on STs.

Depth-wise, for those keeping track, we had six (6) rostered scholarship CBs in 2018. Five (5) scholarship CBs on the roster in 2019. Six (6) on the roster now. Malek Young's career-ending injury obviously hurt, but we have been otherwise lucky injury-wise at CB since then (and he'd likely be gone by now absent injury anyway). I'll be thrilled if we make it to eight (8) on the roster next season, but it shouldn't have to be this hard recruiting CBs in south Florida.

Depth concerns aside, when you look at what we have at CB it's definitely slightly above average. And if this was a WV Mountain-******' message board, I'd probably be happy with that. But this is Miami. Knowing how many top-flight guys we have missed on, how many other very solid blue chip guys we failed to or barely recruited, and the general embarrassment of talented CBs/DBs in this state and in south Florida especially, "slightly above average" just doesn't cut it.

Whether that's all Rumph or some combination or Manny+Rumph or Manny+Baker+Rumph honestly doesn't matter to me anymore. It just needs to be addressed. And as HC, that falls on Manny now. So unless our CBs come out this year playing like All-Conference candidates (which, if he's such a great talent developer, shouldn't be a problem), my expectation will be that Manny gives Rumph the axe.
Correct.

Advertisement
I honestly just think manny doesn’t value the corner position. As long as they aren’t afraid to tackle, he probably thinks his scheme will hide the deficiencies.

Advertisement
We keep hearing this from people that have connections to the program. That Rumph is only allowed to recruit corner backs in the area that he’s Responsible for and that he’s not in charge of evaluating what kids we should offer at the position.
I can understand that you have to distribute recruits in a geographic location and divide that amongst your staff. It’s good for logistics it’s good for fairness. But people have said that he’s not even allowed to evaluate and make a decision on what kids to offer at corner back?
You’re telling me that a guy like LCE can name off 7 or 8 kids in the state of Florida who can absolutely play at the highest level And should be offered but Manny isn’t allowing Rumph to do it?

Is it because he doesn’t want to, is it because he’s not good at it, or is it because he doesn’t know how to do it.
This is why I say that Manny needs to reevaluate what’s going on with recruiting at that position. If Rumph is not allowed to evaluate and make a decision on who should be offered at the position he played at in the highest level then Someone needs to ask why that is if indeed it’s true.
- We already know why. He sucks.
But if it is true then you have to imagine that it’s creating a **** of a lot of tension on that staff considering how much heat Rumph is getting from our fanbase and how much he’s getting clowned by other teams. That man is getting criticized by everyone every time we miss on a corner even though he wasn’t involved with any part of his recruitment.
read the bolded again to your self and there in lies your answers. Just ask yourself why?

LCE is a better evaluator of cb talent im sure of it. Rumph had no experience recruiting/or evaluating cbs. He coached optomist ball..then moved up to CC and then Heritage where talent was pretty much stocked and came to them in droves due to the loop hole of U School and every school in western broward sucking.

These are finally all his recruited guys so we shall see how they go this season and how this cycle goes recruiting. We need a cb that doesnt have to shirt in this class..currently we dont have one in my opinion

I honestly just think manny doesn’t value the corner position. As long as they aren’t afraid to tackle, he probably thinks his scheme will hide the deficiencies.
I disagree. I believe having elite shut down corners is the cherry on top for this defense. We call an aggressive D with man across the board.

imagine sending 6 daring you to throw at the pat surtain jr / Jason Marshalls of the world.

Advertisement
This threads long af and been around forever but there’s almost no updates or opinions on the kids ability at all. Must be the Rumph factor

Another completely derailed thread. Are we talking about the player or about another subject that has been discussed enough already? Disappointing.

I'll give Rumph a B- given the state of the program, the Head Coaches and being able to bring in some solid CB and Safeties. Their are better CB coaches and recruiters, but I'm not 100% certain they, given the same state of the program and Head Coaches, would have been able to convince the Surtains'. Campbells', Jobes' and Stevensons' to choose Miami over the schools they signed with. If we sign M. Brown, I'll give this years DB haul an A. Otherwise an A- because of the Safety haul. IMO they should keep Curtis at WR because he is so fast. If they play him at CB, I don't think you have to worry about WR out running him.

Advertisement
Another completely derailed thread. Are we talking about the player or about another subject that has been discussed enough already? Disappointing.
Another corner back thread derailed by the elephant in the room.
It’s not like we’re arguing about Willie Williams vs the Onion.

Hence why we needed more talented CBs so we don’t get beat so badly like against UNC or so we have CBs fast enough to stay in there back pocket like MJ sò they can loom for the ball. Which is in turn why Rumph needs to be fired because he is incapable of Recruiting elite corners to accomplish that job. End of day Rumph will eventually be fired and our DB recruiting will improve and I hope that his fan club leaves with him as they put what’s good for “Rumph” over what’s good for the actually “team.” Rumph sucks, plain and simple.
Okay, but why only Rumph? At what other positions have we recruited elite players on D?

I disagree. I believe having elite shut down corners is the cherry on top for this defense. We call an aggressive D with man across the board.

imagine sending 6 daring you to throw at the pat surtain jr / Jason Marshalls of the world.
Absolutely would be great to have 5 stars at corner. No coach would turn that down. With Manny and his staff, in terms of allocating resources and time cornerback sits at the bottom of that list in my uninformed opinion. For them I think they prioritize safeties, de, dt, linebacker, and then corner in that order

Advertisement
Back