4-star CB Markevious Brown close to cutting list, talks UM

View as article
It’ll be a great day when Manny realizes that this bum still can’t recruit over 4 years into his job and finally gives Rumph his walking papers. Should have been done last year and Diaz almost pulled the trigger. If Rumph is such a great technician coach which IMO he’s not as our DBs still can’t turn around to find the ball and is just something his slurpers throw out there to deflect with his horrid recruiting then let him go to the NFL. Oh wait, no team in the NFL wants this “great developer”! Smh

Advertisement
Who are the 3 who haven't played? Williams and Couch have and Blades is a returning starter. Also, keep in mind that those kids were all young last season. Still only juniors we are fine at cb. This is a position that hasn't been a weakness on the field. We have been losing games in the trenches...some of y'all need to pay attention to what goes inside. I would like our cb recruiting to get better but we coulda had two 5* out there it would not have mattered like you think. The reason why those CBs you mentioned flourish is because they play with lethal fronts. You said it yourself, "unless you have freaks at DT"...all elite teams have big-timers in the trenches. I believe Clemson 2016 won with 3* CBs....don't get me wrong, I'd love to see Miami land a 5* cb....I just think we are going a little overboard about it.....I'm confident we will likely land Brown or a solid cb in class...
Clemson 2016-17 was all Watson.
My bad on couch and Williams. I thought they mostly played special teams.
I agree with you about the trenches. I’ll take an elite dtackle room over an elite Corner back room.
But until recently their hasn’t been any elite dtackles in sofla while blue chip corner backs are literally a ten minute drive away like Marshall at palmetto.
And that’s really all I’m saying. It’s not like we’re striking out at some corners from California or the dmv. We literally can get top kids at skill positions from the tri county area but can’t land the corners.
Last year despite our season we got the best running back in dade and the best one in Broward. But corner back.......????
And like I said this goes back even before Rumph and it’s frustrating as ****.

Malik Curtis is a kick returner. Tim Burns needs a year, at minimum, to get in the requisite S&C to be in college shape.

Do you really believe that haul makes us better than we are? Does this get us closer to conference and national contention? I know you can't believe that.

Tim Burns needs a year? What's your point? So what?

I think Curtis can be much more than a kick returner although I admit I'm excited to see what he does there.

I've said this in multiple threads but the writing has been on the wall with Rumph for some time. He was essentially let go two offseasons in a row and somehow convinced Manny each time to retain him.

He's a decent DB coach at best who has done just enough to keep his job, and I have no doubt he will find a random 4 star kid to flip at the 11th hour just like he's done the past 4 years.

It's astounding to me that there are still some people here who remain in denial about Rumph. If you can't recruit at the Cornerback position in arguably the most fertile hotbed of talent nationally then you flat-out need to be replaced. Recruiting is a MAJOR part of his job, people, this isn't something that we can simply gloss over. He has demonstrated time and time again that he's terrible at it and it became ABUNDANTLY clear that he was not the guy after whiffing on Campbell and Surtain Jr. I repeat, HIS OWN FORMER PLAYERS DECIDED THAT THEY DIDN'T WANT TO BE COACHED BY HIM. The only way he should be able to get away with his deficiencies on the trail would be if he was one of the top technical teachers in the game, which he's clearly not (he's merely adequate). I'm not sure what kind of kompromat he has on Diaz, but the dude should have been replaced by now. How is this even debatable at this point?

Advertisement
Tim Burns needs a year? What's your point? So what?

I think Curtis can be much more than a kick returner although I admit I'm excited to see what he does there.
I can accept that you're more optimistic about the current haul than I am. Reasonable people can disagree. I would be far more comfortable with someone who projects as an eventual starter. That's why Brown is so important to me.

The Ones in denial about Rumph summarizes our new age of fans. It’s sad that the majority of the fan base now accepts mediocrity. “Good enough” is a slogan used far too often in this fanbase now a days. Think you would ever hear urban Meyer or Saban say that. We need to get back to demanding excellence across all sports at Miami

Advertisement
I think mike jack and malek young were performing in spite of Rumph. And I think those 2 are the ones who are buying this guy so much time around here. It really is high time to go in another direction. No offense to him. He was a great cane. But for us to be elite we need someone else

I can accept that you're more optimistic about the current haul than I am. Reasonable people can disagree. I would be far more comfortable with someone who projects as an eventual starter. That's why Brown is so important to me.

I think both players project as eventual starters, although it remains to be seen if Burns will ever play on the outside.

And as much as I like M.Brown, I think there was a CLEAR drop-off between him and Jason Marshall. I like the kid, but I don't think a "can't miss"

Nope, I'm cool with the facts if you don't have them then we have nothing to talk about. I watched every game last year, and still without the best Corners they're not the reason we had a losing record. Currently we can win with those corners right now, so that's all I care about winning.
If you are looking for facts i had the misfortune of going to the UNC game last year to witness that 4th and 17 conversion. Hard to forget watching our secondary get sliced up by a 1 read true freshman QB. Sure there were alot of issues last season but the one that never gets attention is improving the CB play. There definitely is no problem w/ CBs looking back to see the ball or allowing every team to convert impossibly long downs.

I think both players project as eventual starters, although it remains to be seen if Burns will ever play on the outside.

And as much as I like M.Brown, I think there was a CLEAR drop-off between him and Jason Marshall. I like the kid, but I don't think a "can't miss"
There is a drop off between Marshall and Brown. Marshall is slightly taller, a little bigger, and a more polished player. Brown is a likely shirt his first year and unlikely to start until a R-Soph year.

Advertisement
Does this go back to Rumph not being able to offer who he wants?
For me, yeah. But even past that you gotta look at things objectively. We know rumph is a good teacher who will only get better. For whatever reasons recruiting seem to be his short coming and no coach at Miami should be struggling to recruit DB’s. If he truly cannot recruit at all and the head coach is aware of that shortcoming it falls back on manny when we miss TO ME. Mike does his job well and that’s to strictly teach apparently

It’ll be a great day when Manny realizes that this bum still can’t recruit over 4 years into his job and finally gives Rumph his walking papers. Should have been done last year and Diaz almost pulled the trigger. If Rumph is such a great technician coach which IMO he’s not as our DBs still can’t turn around to find the ball and is just something his slurpers throw out there to deflect with his horrid recruiting then let him go to the NFL. Oh wait, no team in the NFL wants this “great developer”! Smh
CBs around the country don't turn around unless they're in phase. No DB coach tells his DBs to look back for the football if they're not running stride for stride. Just a recipe to lose the WR as the ball goes over their head. Mike Jackson turned to locate the football all the time because he was generally in the pocket of a WR so losing the guy while the ball was in the air wasn't an issue. The narrative that are our CBs don't look back for the ball is played anyway. That **** happened in the Orange Bowl and to safeties a couple times btw now people want to pretend like they see it all the time. Unfortunately when our guys get beat, they get beat so bad that looking back for the ball won't mean a thing. See the UNC game

Advertisement
if what some people are saying is true, as far as Banda being the recruiter for corners and safeties, then I blame Manny. Maybe recruits are turned off by their position coach having to hide behind the safety guy. I don't, but I think Williams, Dunson, Couch, and as far as this camp, Clarke are good prospects. Not closing on the big cruits may be a system issue beyond Rumph. Idk just putting out there info I heard of the H1H channel.

CBs around the country don't turn around unless they're in phase. No DB coach tells his DBs to look back for the football if they're not running stride for stride. Just a recipe to lose the WR as the ball goes over their head. Mike Jackson turned to locate the football all the time because he was generally in the pocket of a WR so losing the guy while the ball was in the air wasn't an issue. The narrative that are our CBs don't look back for the ball is played anyway. That **** happened in the Orange Bowl and to safeties a couple times btw now people want to pretend like they see it all the time. Unfortunately when our guys get beat, they get beat so bad that looking back for the ball won't mean a thing. See the UNC game
Hence why we needed more talented CBs so we don’t get beat so badly like against UNC or so we have CBs fast enough to stay in there back pocket like MJ sò they can loom for the ball. Which is in turn why Rumph needs to be fired because he is incapable of Recruiting elite corners to accomplish that job. End of day Rumph will eventually be fired and our DB recruiting will improve and I hope that his fan club leaves with him as they put what’s good for “Rumph” over what’s good for the actually “team.” Rumph sucks, plain and simple.

For me, yeah. But even past that you gotta look at things objectively. We know rumph is a good teacher who will only get better. For whatever reasons recruiting seem to be his short coming and no coach at Miami should be struggling to recruit DB’s. If he truly cannot recruit at all and the head coach is aware of that shortcoming it falls back on manny when we miss TO ME. Mike does his job well and that’s to strictly teach apparently
Thanks, makes sense

Six (6) scholarship CBs on the roster. Two TFs (Dunson & Clarke), two sophomores (Couch & Williams), and two juniors (Blades and Ivey). Two guys committed for 2021 (Burns & Curtis). Clarke and Curtis are both developmental projects with raw tools that need to learn to play the position. Couch is a sticky cover corner and a dog, but, in a world where we have any real CB depth, he probably takes a shirt last season to physically develop. Strong chance Burns ends up in a similar position next year as Couch was in last year (that is, being asked to contribute as a TF).

Focusing on the positive, I like Blades and hope he has a break-out season (of course, if he really does, who knows whether he stays for year 4). Couch is a future 2-year starter at CB for us. Burns could be a very solid nickleback once he develops his body. And Curtis has some exciting physical tools (but will need to learn to play CB), though I am more excited to see him on STs.

Depth-wise, for those keeping track, we had six (6) rostered scholarship CBs in 2018. Five (5) scholarship CBs on the roster in 2019. Six (6) on the roster now. Malek Young's career-ending injury obviously hurt, but we have been otherwise lucky injury-wise at CB since then (and he'd likely be gone by now absent injury anyway). I'll be thrilled if we make it to eight (8) on the roster next season, but it shouldn't have to be this hard recruiting CBs in south Florida.

Depth concerns aside, when you look at what we have at CB it's definitely slightly above average. And if this was a WV Mountain-******' message board, I'd probably be happy with that. But this is Miami. Knowing how many top-flight guys we have missed on, how many other very solid blue chip guys we failed to or barely recruited, and the general embarrassment of talented CBs/DBs in this state and in south Florida especially, "slightly above average" just doesn't cut it.

Whether that's all Rumph or some combination or Manny+Rumph or Manny+Baker+Rumph honestly doesn't matter to me anymore. It just needs to be addressed. And as HC, that falls on Manny now. So unless our CBs come out this year playing like All-Conference candidates (which, if he's such a great talent developer, shouldn't be a problem), my expectation will be that Manny gives Rumph the axe.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Back