4 more days for a Portal WR. Tell me the good news.

Advertisement
Advertisement

darth vader GIF

Advertisement
If its a grad transfer they can still enter and play immediately. All others would have to sit out the year unless they are granted a special waiver.

Grad transfers shouldn’t need to sit out I think.

They dont. I was specifically referring to portal guys though.

There's a lot of confusion around this topic as it relates to graduate transfers. If you guys have sources for that information, please share because what I have seen very strongly indicates the opposite (i.e., that graduate transfers still need to comply with the May 1 notice requirement or otherwise get a waiver to be immediately eligible to play):

"Postgraduate Transfer Eligibility
Q11: What criteria does a student-athlete who has graduated with their baccalaureate degree need to meet to be eligible as postgraduate student at another Division I school?
A11: A student-athlete who graduates with remaining athletics eligibility may be eligible as a full-time postgraduate student at another Division I school provided they meet the one-time exception criteria, including providing a written request to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal to their current school by May 1 if they participate in a fall or winter sport, or July 1 if they participate in a spring sport."

Source: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Transfer/OneTime_Transfer.pdf

So it seems like they still need a waiver, but hopefully for graduate transfers it's as close to automatic as possible. They definitely gave them out last year to guys who were in the portal way after May 1, like Jordan Rhodes at Ole Miss.

OK I tried Google and all I could find was stuff on his dad. Anyone have a link to a site with his specifics? Thanks for helping a computer-challenged old fart.
He was a typical low star s.fla wr that got lost in the mix playing at a doormat program at South Plantation that went to Temple.

He likely was a cane fan....but likely wasnt on our board at all. He developed in College.

Advertisement
There's a lot of confusion around this topic as it relates to graduate transfers. If you guys have sources for that information, please share because what I have seen very strongly indicates the opposite (i.e., that graduate transfers still need to comply with the May 1 notice requirement or otherwise get a waiver to be immediately eligible to play):

Q11: What criteria does a student-athlete who has graduated with their baccalaureate degree need to meet to be eligible as postgraduate student at another Division I school?
A11: A student-athlete who graduates with remaining athletics eligibility may be eligible as a full-time postgraduate student at another Division I school provided they meet the one-time exception criteria, including providing a written request to enter the NCAA Transfer Portal to their current school by May 1 if they participate in a fall or winter sport, or July 1 if they participate in a spring sport."

Source: http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/eligibility_center/Transfer/OneTime_Transfer.pdf

So it seems like they still need a waiver, but hopefully for graduate transfers it's as close to automatic as possible. They definitely gave them out last year to guys who were in the portal way after May 1, like Jordan Rhodes at Ole Miss.
I always thought grad transfers didn’t have to sit out. I can’t remember when we had grad transfers enter the portal though so this was more an assumption on my part.

Advertisement
He was a typical low star s.fla wr that got lost in the mix playing at a doormat program at South Plantation that went to Temple.

He likely was a cane fan....but likely wasnt on our board at all. He developed in College.
In today's landscape, a guy like Robby Anderson is likely a 4-star recruit, especially since he'd most likely have elite verified speed times due to the camp landscape.

To pull it all together...

The grad-transfer waiver has historically been the easiest of all "immediate playing time" waivers to get. You just demonstrate that the grad program at the new school was unavailable at the old school, and you are in like Flynn.

1652118381834.png

I always thought grad transfers didn’t have to sit out. I can’t remember when we had grad transfers enter the portal though so this was more an assumption on my part.

That was definitely the pre-portal rule, but it seems like the NCAA changed it with the transfer portal. I think they were giving the "late" grad transfers waivers last year, though.

Advertisement
Back