3rd down offense

brock

All-American
That's the key to taking our offense to another level. Last year and in previous years we put ourselves in bad 3 3rd and long situations. Theoretically we should be able to limit those and convert more 3rd down conversions more this year due to rosier or perry being able to improvise more and having the ability to run to get the first down. We have been missing this ability in our offense for quite a while. What's crazy is that both jacory and Stephen Morris had the ability to do it with their legs but often did not as their careers went on. Improvement in this area of offense will be critical for us this season. Everyone knows I'm a brad kaaya fan but I can't defend the 3rd down play that we have had over the last few years

Last edited:
Advertisement
Morris scrambled successfully several times in 2010, and then never did it again. Weird.

Agreed. 3rd down % has been below average for a few seasons now. Ends up hurting time of possession, putting pressure on defense, and costing us points. Curious to see where that stat goes in CMR's second season and with a new QB starting.

3rd long was bad with Kaaya bc defenses could pin our ears back and rush wildly with no threat of the QB running for a 1st done. A QB that can do that will improve 3rd down tremendously

Advertisement
This will be key to the offense improvement. We have to shorten third down yardage needed and improve our conversion percentage on third downs. With a better line, wide receivers and more athletic QB no reason we shouldn't be able to improve.

Morris playing on a mangled ankle might have contributed to him not running much his final season.

As I do feel 3rd down conversion % will be higher this year..I also believe there will be fewer 3rd down opportunities. Considering the weapons we have on offense, I think a lot more of our plays, wind up producing big gains. O Line improvement, allows better runs,..as well as more time for the deeper plays to develop. I don't want to use the term "explosive", but I think the offense looks as different this year, as our defense looked last year.

I'll buy the offensive improvements in 2017 when I see good QB play and better coordination of the offense by Rick.

Advertisement
This brings to mind a great article from Football Study Hall about 3 and Outs. We ranked 106th in the nation in Offensive 3 and Outs last year, that is horrible, mind blowingly awful, we ranked behind offenses like Old Dominion and Buffalo. We were also ranked 99th in 3rd Down Conversation rate. A modest improvement in reducing offensive 3 and Outs this season could lead to huge gains for both sides of the ball. I'm not sure how a staff could emphasize this element, but I think play calling and focus could help.

https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2...tball-three-and-out-rates-clemson-north-texas

We have to, HAVE to use the short passing game to set up the run, IMO. 3rd down % is, in large part, a function of success on 1st and 2nd down. We need to loosen up defenses with screens, hitches, slants om those early downs - take the easy 4 yards whenever they're there, get the LBs leaning back and the DBs leaning forward.

We have to, HAVE to use the short passing game to set up the run, IMO. 3rd down % is, in large part, a function of success on 1st and 2nd down. We need to loosen up defenses with screens, hitches, slants om those early downs - take the easy 4 yards whenever they're there, get the LBs leaning back and the DBs leaning forward.

And that west-coast approach should be money with Herndon, Berrios, Thomas, Richards, and even Walton out of the backfield. Of course, I know Richt is going to test his OL and try to pound it in the trenches, too. And I would hope we win those battles this season, especially on the right side with Donaldson and St Louis.

I doubt we can be better. If richt or his thomas are calling plays we ARE NOT winning 10 games. I'm on record that Rucht is not a high level OC

Advertisement
I think a full 2 years of understanding who these players are and what they are capable of, and when, will help Richt have a much more efficient offensive unit.

As he learned the players better, his playcalling and gameplanning got better.

I doubt he makes the same mistakes this year but i'll believe it when I see it.

I doubt we can be better. If richt or his thomas are calling plays we ARE NOT winning 10 games. I'm on record that Rucht is not a high level OC

So whats your wager?

I got paypal. Put your money where your mope is, boi

Richt has had 10 or more wins seasons 9 of the 16 years he has coached.... quit with the overreaction

Advertisement
If we struggle on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down - it will be because of suspect QB play. With Rosier, Sherriffs or Perry, we will have suspect QB play.

If we struggle on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down - it will be because of suspect QB play. With Rosier, Sherriffs or Perry, we will have suspect QB play.

Just because you have a young qb starting doesn't mean they will struggle. Especially if most of the pieces around them are all in place. It's 2017 not the 80s.

Advertisement
Back