3rd down % in 2022

LuCane

Administrator
Administrator
This has to be one of the more improved categories across the board, right?

On offense in 2021, we converted 40% of our 3rd downs - good for 59th in the country. This was down from 40.63% the prior year. Best in the nation was 53.28%. A top 30 conversion % in 2021 would have been about 44% or better.

How we may get better: We're likely to have a far more diversified run game. Our control of down and distance should greatly improve with more manageable 2nd and 3rd downs.

On defense in 2021, we allowed our opponent to convert at a 41.14% rate - good for 83rd in the country. This was up from 38.27% the prior year. Best in the nation was 27.91%. A top 30 stop % in 2021 would have been about 36% or below.

How we may get better: We may actually play tighter zones this season. Better communication and more contested passes should lead to getting off the field more often.

My projected experimental "get the F off the field on 3rd and long" unit:

DE Agude
DT Mesidor
DT Taylor/Moultrie
DE Harvey

Hybrid James Williams
LB Chase Smith or Keontra

DB Couch
DB Porter
DB Tyrique
DB Kinchens
DB AWilliams

Advertisement
Gotta be able to run the ball. Plain and simple. I made so many of these posts when Lashlee was hired because he was really good in this area at SMU. But we sucked when he was here too on 3rd down. It’s because we can’t run the ball. Very hard to be good on 3rd downs when you’re always in 3rd and long. The offense the past couple years has been chunk play or very minimal/no gain/negative. Both things are not conducive to high 3rd down conversion percentages.

Move someone off the line of scrimmage, for the love of Christ. And this will be much better.

Advertisement

On offense in 2021, we converted 40% of our 3rd downs - good for 59th in the country. This was down from 40.63% the prior year. Best in the nation was 53.28%. A top 30 conversion % in 2021 would have been about 44% or better.

How we may get better: We're likely to have a far more diversified run game. Our control of down and distance should greatly improve with more manageable 2nd and 3rd downs.

On defense in 2021, we allowed our opponent to convert at a 41.14% rate - good for 83rd in the country. This was up from 38.27% the prior year. Best in the nation was 27.91%. A top 30 stop % in 2021 would have been about 36% or below.

How we may get better: We may actually play tighter zones this season. Better communication and more contested passes should lead to getting off the field more often.

DE Agude
DT Mesidor
DT Taylor/Moultrie
DE Harvey

Hybrid James Williams

DB Couch
DB Porter
DB Tyrique
DB Kinchens
DB AWilliams
You don’t have a breakdown for the distance on O, do you? Im curious the conversion rate on passing vs running downs.

Gotta be able to run the ball. Plain and simple. I made so many of these posts when Lashlee was hired because he was really good in this area at SMU. But we sucked when he was here too on 3rd down. It’s because we can’t run the ball. Very hard to be good on 3rd downs when you’re always in 3rd and long. The offense the past couple years has been chunk play or very minimal/no gain/negative. Both things are not conducive to high 3rd down conversion percentages.

Move someone off the line of scrimmage, for the love of Christ. And this will be much better.
Or be a good coach and call plays that make the defense think and move so it makes it a lil easier to move the players.

Blocking up a defense that knows what you're going to run is a recipe for an atrocious 3rd down percentage.

Advertisement

DE Agude
DT Mesidor
DT Taylor/Moultrie
DE Harvey

Hybrid James Williams

DB Couch
DB Porter
DB Tyrique
DB Kinchens
DB AWilliams
Good breakdown, at first I was like where tf is Stevenson lmao. I think we are much more likely to see the defensive % go down. Frierson should be tough to keep off the field he was our best player 2 years ago.

Our defense was not great last year and those 20 second 3 and outs didn’t help them out either

For some reason this board can’t give Lashlee his props while also voicing concerns and seeing how in some ways Gattis could be better. Lashlee gets this moniker of being QB friendly, which I’m not saying is completely false, but not being able to run it isn’t very QB friendly either

Stop the run, run the ball better. Everything else flows from that. I expect drastic improvements on D. Offense is wait and see even though I suspect we will run the ball much better much more consistently. Lot more pulling and getting to the 2nd level

Advertisement
?

FSU 6-16
VT 6-12
Duke 8-17
I'm a dumbass. The 35+% was for opponent 3rd down %. Basically, our defense. I looked at the wrong sheet.

Over the last three games, our conversion % was 44.44%.

We should look at all of TVD's games, but I'm guessing it's somewhat similar. My impression is we didn't control down and distance with or without TVD.

Not trying be be a ****, but does this particular data point have an impact on wins? I know there are some data points that are highly correlated to wins but wasn’t sure this was one of them. It’s reasonable, just curious

Not trying be be a ****, but does this particular data point have an impact on wins? I know there are some data points that are highly correlated to wins but wasn’t sure this was one of them. It’s reasonable, just curious
When looked at together with Yards Per Play and, of course, TOs, you'll find a strong correlation.

Advertisement

DE Agude
DT Mesidor
DT Taylor/Moultrie
DE Harvey

Hybrid James Williams

DB Couch
DB Porter
DB Tyrique
DB Kinchens
DB AWilliams
OL unit is critical to 3rd down conversion rate.

My guess is the best Os with higher conversion rates had a noticeable shorter distance to make on 3rd down.

Inversely, the best Ds who held on 3rd down very likely had longer distances to help out.

Bottom line: 3rd down conversions, both O and D, stage is set on 1st down.

DE Agude
DT Mesidor
DT Taylor/Moultrie
DE Harvey

Hybrid James Williams

DB Couch
DB Porter
DB Tyrique
DB Kinchens
DB AWilliams
Don’t forget blades at star or in slot. Ts will also get time at star.

There’s options lol.

Advertisement
Back