3rd and Longs against Clemson

Having Mallory healthy after the bye is going to be key. Two good TE's = funneling quick passes to escape pressure from blitzing LBs. Would be a great counter balance to Venables' strategy. I think some other poster mentioned OJ Howard's (Alabama TE) huge games against Clemson. It's by far our biggest advantage in this matchup in my opinon. Well... our kicker too but we need TDs not field goals.
The thing is Howard wasnt a main weapon for bama and was kinda a after thought and underused until that game. Brevin is not sneaking up on them as in every interview Venables/Dabo have mentioned both and said they will try to take away a teams main weapon. Other guys have to step up, we are gonna be depending on Harley/Pope/Wiggins to make them pay.

Advertisement
I can't take credit for the stats or idea - I got them from an ESPN+ article - but it brings up an excellent point about 3rd and longs and how we've been in A LOT of them.

http://insider.espn.com/chalk/insider/story/_/id/30054963/connelly-acc-rise-big-weekend-ahead

I went back and looked at the games and we were converting 3rd downs at an amazing rate - but the distance always seemed far (even during the FSU beatdown). And I think it speaks to Lashlee's earlier comment about improving our offensive efficiency.

The point being - if we're in a lot of 3rd and longs, I worry Clemson will pin their ears back and make us pay the way UAB, LOU and FSU couldn't do. And with our receivers constantly dropping passes, it compounds the importance of not being in too many passing situations on 3rd down.

I wonder how Lashlee will account for this.

"In open-play situations -- which I define as snaps that take place between your own 10-yard line and your opponent's 30 -- Miami ranks 72nd out of 74 active-to-date teams in average third-down distance (9.4 yards). That they're 43rd in third-down success rate is an endorsement of King's prowess, but we've seen quite a few sequences where Miami runs twice up the middle for just a few yards before leaning on King to keep the drive alive."

"The Tigers are fourth in defensive SP+, 10th in passing-down sack rate, and 12th in passingdown success rate. If Miami is facing too many third-and-longs in this game, it probably isn't going to work out in the Hurricanes' favor, nor is giving Trevor Lawrence and the Clemson offense good field position after rapid-fire 3-and-outs."
I noticed Clemson was also in a ton of 3rd and longs against UVA. Thought it was interesting topic. Nice post.

http://www.thepostcorner.com/blog/2...es-pressure-package-and-3-down-3-high-defense

This blog touched on Clemson and ISU defense and some of what Venables does with it. It was right before championship game and he ran a ton of 3 man lines agains Burrow that confused them early.. Man runs all types of fronts a bunch of different coverages behind them and attacks.. I wouldnt be surprised if he ran 3 man line 4i tite type defense against us to take away the Inside zone read. Everyone else has and Diaz seems to be surprised every game after for some reason.

Dude is gonna throw the kitchen sink, personnel be ****.. Wish we had a jamarr chase to just say **** reading all this crap go over the top one on one

i disagree a bit.

he knows his personnel is a significantly better than ours, particularly his DL against our OL, and his CB's against our WR's. so he doesn't have to get cute and outsmart himself. i think he plays it pretty straight up and picks his spots to get fancy to generate some big plays for his defense

i disagree a bit.

he knows his personnel is a significantly better than ours, particularly his DL against our OL, and his CB's against our WR's. so he doesn't have to get cute and outsmart himself. i think he plays it pretty straight up and picks his spots to get fancy to generate some big plays for his defense
He is versatile enough where he will mix it up so who really knows, lucky for us its only a couple days away until we find out

I can't take credit for the stats or idea - I got them from an ESPN+ article - but it brings up an excellent point about 3rd and longs and how we've been in A LOT of them.

http://insider.espn.com/chalk/insider/story/_/id/30054963/connelly-acc-rise-big-weekend-ahead

I went back and looked at the games and we were converting 3rd downs at an amazing rate - but the distance always seemed far (even during the FSU beatdown). And I think it speaks to Lashlee's earlier comment about improving our offensive efficiency.

The point being - if we're in a lot of 3rd and longs, I worry Clemson will pin their ears back and make us pay the way UAB, LOU and FSU couldn't do. And with our receivers constantly dropping passes, it compounds the importance of not being in too many passing situations on 3rd down.

I wonder how Lashlee will account for this.

"In open-play situations -- which I define as snaps that take place between your own 10-yard line and your opponent's 30 -- Miami ranks 72nd out of 74 active-to-date teams in average third-down distance (9.4 yards). That they're 43rd in third-down success rate is an endorsement of King's prowess, but we've seen quite a few sequences where Miami runs twice up the middle for just a few yards before leaning on King to keep the drive alive."

"The Tigers are fourth in defensive SP+, 10th in passing-down sack rate, and 12th in passingdown success rate. If Miami is facing too many third-and-longs in this game, it probably isn't going to work out in the Hurricanes' favor, nor is giving Trevor Lawrence and the Clemson offense good field position after rapid-fire 3-and-outs."
3rd and long is not where you want to live, but if you convert them a lot it can drive the other team crazy. If you doubt that just think about all those times the last 10 years were our D gave up 1st downs on 3rd and long. You want to run to keep ball out of that QB on the other side, but putting points on the board make them have to score more and maybe cuts their run game down.

Advertisement
http://www.thepostcorner.com/blog/2...es-pressure-package-and-3-down-3-high-defense

This blog touched on Clemson and ISU defense and some of what Venables does with it. It was right before championship game and he ran a ton of 3 man lines agains Burrow that confused them early.. Man runs all types of fronts a bunch of different coverages behind them and attacks.. I wouldnt be surprised if he ran 3 man line 4i tite type defense against us to take away the Inside zone read. Everyone else has and Diaz seems to be surprised every game after for some reason.

Dude is gonna throw the kitchen sink, personnel be ****.. Wish we had a jamarr chase to just say **** reading all this crap go over the top one on one

I welcome the 4-0-4 looks because teams have essentially sacrificed their pass rushes in order to clog the middle of the line.

Advertisement
Back