3rd and Longs against Clemson

Walsh5

Recruit
I can't take credit for the stats or idea - I got them from an ESPN+ article - but it brings up an excellent point about 3rd and longs and how we've been in A LOT of them.

http://insider.espn.com/chalk/insider/story/_/id/30054963/connelly-acc-rise-big-weekend-ahead

I went back and looked at the games and we were converting 3rd downs at an amazing rate - but the distance always seemed far (even during the FSU beatdown). And I think it speaks to Lashlee's earlier comment about improving our offensive efficiency.

The point being - if we're in a lot of 3rd and longs, I worry Clemson will pin their ears back and make us pay the way UAB, LOU and FSU couldn't do. And with our receivers constantly dropping passes, it compounds the importance of not being in too many passing situations on 3rd down.

I wonder how Lashlee will account for this.

"In open-play situations -- which I define as snaps that take place between your own 10-yard line and your opponent's 30 -- Miami ranks 72nd out of 74 active-to-date teams in average third-down distance (9.4 yards). That they're 43rd in third-down success rate is an endorsement of King's prowess, but we've seen quite a few sequences where Miami runs twice up the middle for just a few yards before leaning on King to keep the drive alive."

"The Tigers are fourth in defensive SP+, 10th in passing-down sack rate, and 12th in passingdown success rate. If Miami is facing too many third-and-longs in this game, it probably isn't going to work out in the Hurricanes' favor, nor is giving Trevor Lawrence and the Clemson offense good field position after rapid-fire 3-and-outs."

Advertisement
I worry more that we’ve played terrible defensive teams and we’ve been propped up.
This year I just have more confidence in our OC.

Lashlee and Justice had two weeks to scheme up stuff vs Venables.

You cannot have a better situation vs Clemson and Venables. King described that Miami had great practices this week.

Its still Clemson but my confidence in this team rises from day to day.

Advertisement
This is a great topic and many people overlook it. We have been AWFUL on third downs the past few years, and have been put in many third and long (7+ yards) already this year. If we have any chance of beating Clemson we must stay ahead of the chains and avoid 3rd and 7+. It’s simply not sustainable and I’m very happy Lashlee recognizes this is an issue. If the team was as successful last year as they have been this year in this situation, Enos would’ve given himself a pat on the back and not worried about it, because he was the smartest guy in the room

Statistics don't always tell the whole story. For one thing, this is where success rate comes in.

Advertisement
God forbid we switch up the inside zone plays to anything else. One of those games we can’t just go inside zone after every hurry up first down. To be successful we will need to use the pass as an extension of the run game to maximize yards

Another thing to help the offense overall, not just 3rd and long, is receivers catching the **** ball..........

Noticed it multiple times this season. We've had a ton of third and long situations and have obviously converted a far greater percentage of them compared to last.

The conversions are obviously a good thing, but we can't continue to put ourselves in terrible down and distance situations like that against Clemson.

This offensive scheme allows for a better conversion rate on 3rd and long because the defense doesn’t know what to key in on. In previous years a 3rd and long seemed more like 3rd and 20 because the scheme sucked and our tackles couldn’t get off the snap. Totally different year this year. No we won’t covert at the same clip we did in previous 3 games. But we also should not be scared. I am excited to see what Lashlee and crew have prepared. Going to be a great litmus year to see where we are at.

Advertisement
The quick runs when the Canes run up tempo annoyed me at first but it seems like Lashlee is always calculating, that he does it with a purpose beyond trying to score every play. That seems counterintuitive but he adds little wrinkles that end up exposing a defense’s tendencies he is seeing. Which, obviously, we are not used to seeing.

Having Mallory healthy after the bye is going to be key. Two good TE's = funneling quick passes to escape pressure from blitzing LBs. Would be a great counter balance to Venables' strategy. I think some other poster mentioned OJ Howard's (Alabama TE) huge games against Clemson. It's by far our biggest advantage in this matchup in my opinon. Well... our kicker too but we need TDs not field goals.

Advertisement
His inverted Cover 2 stuff is where he took stuff to the next level last season. I briefly got into it in the pod. While I remembered the story, I couldn't remember who he had visited last season (ISU), but brought back some spicy stuff he used with Simmons. If he tries it on Saturday, I'm really not sure who on his current team could replace Simmons' role.

I think you’ll see a lot of 5 wide on 3rd down Saturday with Will and brevin in the pattern

His inverted Cover 2 stuff is where he took stuff to the next level last season. I briefly got into it in the pod. While I remembered the story, I couldn't remember who he had visited last season (ISU), but brought back some spicy stuff he used with Simmons. If he tries it on Saturday, I'm really not sure who on his current team could replace Simmons' role.

http://www.thepostcorner.com/blog/2...es-pressure-package-and-3-down-3-high-defense

This blog touched on Clemson and ISU defense and some of what Venables does with it. It was right before championship game and he ran a ton of 3 man lines agains Burrow that confused them early.. Man runs all types of fronts a bunch of different coverages behind them and attacks.. I wouldnt be surprised if he ran 3 man line 4i tite type defense against us to take away the Inside zone read. Everyone else has and Diaz seems to be surprised every game after for some reason.

Dude is gonna throw the kitchen sink, personnel be ****.. Wish we had a jamarr chase to just say **** reading all this crap go over the top one on one

Advertisement
Back