31 Points (significance of that number)

Is FIU better than UF because they had a better win against us? You can’t translate game to game success/failure. If we dropped 60 on UAB, it wouldn’t mean a thing against UL, Clemson or whatever, no more than the 31 pts yesterday. Doesn’t mean we ain’t dropping 50 on FSU....
The answer is somewhere in the middle most likely.. but point taken. 👌

Advertisement
I can't remember the specifics but there was a period of time, I think it was like 10 years or something like that...we were undefeated in games when we scored at least 31.

Literally only 2 games last year where we scored over 30 (BCC doesn't count, that's a scrimmage).

We were rusty & not having a full Spring of course limits the amount of install that can be implemented.

I think people are severely overreacting but that's become a staple of this fanbase.

People spent all offseason saying "beat Temple/UAB!" Basically saying, don't get ahead our ourselves & take everything one game at time, meaning we're not good enough to overlook any of our opponents, then we beat UAB & we might as well had lost according to the board lol.

There were a lot of good things to take away from the game, there were a number of mistakes too, but that's football & Idk how the same fans that were colossally ****ed at how we got embarrassed by FIU, La Tech, GTech & Duke last year can be so upset that we won vs UAB? I mean if we played this same game last year we would've lost most likely.

Idk maybe I'm just weird but I'm gonna wait until the games are played before I act as if the season is already over.
Nah, LCE....you know how CIS is. New offense? No spring practice?

Angry posters - “50 burger or bust!”

Advertisement
Fair post but it HAS to be noted we played an absolute DOG **** schedule last year. But yeah, as long as we keep playing the types of schedules we currently have (other than Clemson), scoring over 30 should lose us no more than 2 games if Baker's side of the ball does their part.

This morning I was looking at the stats and kept eyeing the 31 point total for us. Couldn't figure out if it bothered me or was acceptable for our opening game. Then I realized that both @DMoney and @Roman Marciante have mentioned that with this defense playing well, 31 points in 2019 would have turned our season from 6-7 to 12-1. VT was the only team to go over 30 points on us in 2019 (FIU got to 30).

We don't need this offense to go crazy every week. We just need it to net us 30+ points per game and to give our defense rest with minimal 3-and-outs. That's it - that's our threshold for success.

View attachment 129877
If we can average 31 points a game where going at minimum 8-3 or hopefully 9-2. 9-2 would keep our entire class together and add more.

First game. New offense. New QB. Running a limited offense, rushing for 334, and scoring 31 on what was touted as a pretty solid defense should give us all some hope for a good season.

Advertisement
Literally only 2 games last year where we scored over 30 (BCC doesn't count, that's a scrimmage).

We were rusty & not having a full Spring of course limits the amount of install that can be implemented.

I think people are severely overreacting but that's become a staple of this fanbase.

People spent all offseason saying "beat Temple/UAB!" Basically saying, don't get ahead our ourselves & take everything one game at time, meaning we're not good enough to overlook any of our opponents, then we beat UAB & we might as well had lost according to the board lol.

There were a lot of good things to take away from the game, there were a number of mistakes too, but that's football & Idk how the same fans that were colossally ****ed at how we got embarrassed by FIU, La Tech, GTech & Duke last year can be so upset that we won vs UAB? I mean if we played this same game last year we would've lost most likely.

Idk maybe I'm just weird but I'm gonna wait until the games are played before I act as if the season is already over.

Its been as spectacular as we were expecting.

This morning I was looking at the stats and kept eyeing the 31 point total for us. Couldn't figure out if it bothered me or was acceptable for our opening game. Then I realized that both @DMoney and @Roman Marciante have mentioned that with this defense playing well, 31 points in 2019 would have turned our season from 6-7 to 12-1. VT was the only team to go over 30 points on us in 2019 (FIU got to 30).

We don't need this offense to go crazy every week. We just need it to net us 30+ points per game and to give our defense rest with minimal 3-and-outs. That's it - that's our threshold for success.

View attachment 129877
Oh hey. I see my name. Hope all the inSight family is doing well. Nice post by the way.

We gon' be alright! People need to chill. Temper your expectations obviously. This team is a work in progress, still in rebuild mode with a new offensive staff, a 2nd year HC, and a 2nd year DC. But the pieces are there to be special, and we are definitely better than last year on offense and special teams--2 out of 3 phases of the game (defense looked good too but I can't say they are better than last year yet. That's all we can ask for right now. GO CANES!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back