31 Points (significance of that number)

HurricaneAce07

Class of 2007
This morning I was looking at the stats and kept eyeing the 31 point total for us. Couldn't figure out if it bothered me or was acceptable for our opening game. Then I realized that both @DMoney and @Roman Marciante have mentioned that with this defense playing well, 31 points in 2019 would have turned our season from 6-7 to 12-1. VT was the only team to go over 30 points on us in 2019 (FIU got to 30).

We don't need this offense to go crazy every week. We just need it to net us 30+ points per game and to give our defense rest with minimal 3-and-outs. That's it - that's our threshold for success.

Capture.JPG

Advertisement
While yes, it's significant, it cannot be our "threshold for success" because that makes the assumption this defense will be equally productive to last season. I think the D will be as good or better than last season by the end of this season, but I expect to see some real growing pains early on, which is particularly scary given FSU and Clemson are coming up.

Literally only 2 games last year where we scored over 30 (BCC doesn't count, that's a scrimmage).

We were rusty & not having a full Spring of course limits the amount of install that can be implemented.

I think people are severely overreacting but that's become a staple of this fanbase.

People spent all offseason saying "beat Temple/UAB!" Basically saying, don't get ahead our ourselves & take everything one game at time, meaning we're not good enough to overlook any of our opponents, then we beat UAB & we might as well had lost according to the board lol.

There were a lot of good things to take away from the game, there were a number of mistakes too, but that's football & Idk how the same fans that were colossally ****ed at how we got embarrassed by FIU, La Tech, GTech & Duke last year can be so upset that we won vs UAB? I mean if we played this same game last year we would've lost most likely.

Idk maybe I'm just weird but I'm gonna wait until the games are played before I act as if the season is already over.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Literally only 2 games last year where we scored over 30 (BCC doesn't count, that's a scrimmage).

We were rusty & not having a full Spring of course limits the amount of install that can be implemented.

I think people are severely overreacting but that's become a staple of this fanbase.

People spent all offseason saying "beat Temple/UAB!" Basically saying, don't get ahead our ourselves & take everything one game at time, meaning we're not good enough to overlook any of our opponents, then we beat UAB & we might as well had lost according to the board lol.

There were a lot of good things to take away from the game, there were a number of mistakes too, but that's football & Idk how the same fans that were colossally ****ed at how we got embarrassed by FIU, La Tech, GTech & Duke last year can be so upset that we won vs UAB? I mean if we played this same game last year we would've lost most likely.

Idk maybe I'm just weird but I'm gonna wait until the games are played before I act as if the season is already over.
Again...sound logic. The issue is that either guys are fans just because of not having anything else to do or they don't know football (haven't played nor coached)....I'm FULLY convinced of this.

This morning I was looking at the stats and kept eyeing the 31 point total for us. Couldn't figure out if it bothered me or was acceptable for our opening game. Then I realized that both @DMoney and @Roman Marciante have mentioned that with this defense playing well, 31 points in 2019 would have turned our season from 6-7 to 12-1. VT was the only team to go over 30 points on us in 2019 (FIU got to 30).

We don't need this offense to go crazy every week. We just need it to net us 30+ points per game and to give our defense rest with minimal 3-and-outs. That's it - that's our threshold for success.

View attachment 129877
You might want to quiet your voice a little... You're making TOO much sense for this board.

W
View attachment 129877
Since we averaged 12 pts per game against conf. USA opponents last season, 31 pts is a mark improvement.

As a bonus, we covered the spread.

Advertisement
Of course not.

But when has any single person anywhere ever have us beating Clemson? Seriously, no one has us beating them so when did that become the barometer?

Everyone knew the moment they were on our schedule it was gonna be a loss.
I hope the players don't feel that way, cause then it will be a self fulfilling prophecy

Barring injuries, I would expect our offense to get a little better as the season progresses. I see this as a very nice starting point.
Some interesting tidbits I gathered from the NCAA’s website:

Rhett Lashlee yr 1 SMU - 30.8ppg (34th in the country)/yr 2 42ppg (7th in the country).

We avg out 31 ppg for the year, that would have put us at 18th in the country, who knows this year. But we would have won a lot more games.

Not enough sample size but would be interesting to if this is a Lashlee trend, meaning yr 2 the offense explodes like SMU.

I’m going to be patient lol and see what happens

Nah. This stat is BS. Our defense often rolls over when needed, despite the hype from our fanbase. An extra score means an extra possession by the other team, hence the loss to VT.

Advertisement

View attachment 129877
Not to mention we lost by one score in every game with the exception of the last. When taking that into consideration, there's no way we should do anything less than 9-2. Same Defense and better offense.....

We scored 31 but it coulda been 40+ if king does miss payton alone & we dont put it in cruise control the whole 4th quarter. I just need to see Brevin Jordan get the ball more. RB's, Kings legs, Jordan/Mallory & deep shots every once ina while. Very simple recipe.

Big facts and again it was King’s 1st game since his pops pasted. He’s only going to get better each game imo. He knows he has to have a better passing game. watch him come light up Louisville with over 250 passing.
And he said as much in the post game interview. first time in his ENTIRE life that his father was not there or wasn't watching him. We aren't talking about ANY father, but a father that by all accounts walked step by step with him as he matured as a man and a player. Not sure about you, but if that were me, i would have had a very difficult time doing ANYTHING right and accurately. Let's cut the kid a break. He did pretty darn well and he connects with Harley and/or Payton in the endzone and we'd be a lot happier.

Will putting up 31 on UAB at home translate to putting up 31 at Clemson?!
Is FIU better than UF because they had a better win against us?
You can’t translate game to game success/failure. If we dropped 60 on UAB, it wouldn’t mean a thing against UL, Clemson or whatever, no more than the 31 pts yesterday. Doesn’t mean we ain’t dropping 50 on FSU....

Advertisement
Back