30 for 30

I understand. But they said “we STUNK”.

This post shows how far our standards have dropped & how easily we’ve been lulled into thinking 8-9 wins here is a good season.

He said we stunk b/c we were not accustomed to what that season brought forth. Furthermore, understand Butch was on JJ’s staff; he knew what championship football look like. So yes, what was said was entirely appropriate. Just like Bama, today, feel winning 11 games & no national title is a failure of a season.

When there’s a precedence set & u fail to meet such precedence, that’s the mentality.

Advertisement
Honestly I wonder how a school supported by wealth city folk would let a group of country hicks create programs better organized and ran than city slickers. Best talent within 50 miles than any school and our Boosters and Alumni let a bunch of country boys make us look like idiots.

AE416D53-A91C-4D03-A53D-3426D8C78031.gif

This post shows how far our standards have dropped & how easily we’ve been lulled into thinking 8-9 wins here is a good season.

He said we stunk b/c we were not accustomed to what that season brought forth. Furthermore, understand Butch was on JJ’s staff; he knew what championship football look like. So yes, what was said was entirely appropriate. Just like Bama, today, feel winning 11 games & no national title is a failure of a season.

When there’s a precedence set & u fail to meet such precedence, that’s the mentality.
I get it’s below our standard. But if I were to ask you to describe a season that Miami football stunk, I think you would say the season we lost FAU and was shutout vs LaTech. I don’t care about standards....a top 20 nationally ranked football team doesn’t “stink”. Words matter. They have meaning.

Advertisement
I get it’s below our standard. But if I were to ask you to describe a season that Miami football stunk, I think you would say the season we lost FAU and was shutout vs LaTech. I don’t care about standards....a top 20 nationally ranked football team doesn’t “stink”. Words matter. They have meaning.

In all due respect, I don’t know how long U’ve been a fan, but at that time, we did stink, per our standards. Top 25 wasn’t considered a success or a decent year at this time, not for a perennial power. Losing more than 2 games was considered a disaster, no matter how hard our schedule was. Plus, we lost to VT for the first time & VT wasn’t VT as we know them today. From like 1920 til 1994, VT was a bottom feeder program. Think their best yr was 1954 where they went undefeated in 9 games, but that was an anomaly...they constantly loss between 3-8 games/yr on a consistent basis.

We got blew out by UCLA, lost to an unranked team for the 1st time since 1984 (VT), & started the season 0-3 against FBS teams for the 1st time since like 1976. So yeah, we stunk.

Now, today in 2021, would I take starting 1-3 & then finishing 7-0?? With the chit that we’ve seen; yes. But to ur point, words matte; so unless u were apart of what we witnessed up to that point, u wouldn’t get it. I’ve been able to personally witness 4 of our 5 national titles, with one being in person at the Rose Bowl. So I get why that terminology was used, again, at that time. Standards matter, whether u agree or not. That’s just the facts. Celtics/Lakers fans ain’t happy w/ conference or division titles, their standards r NBA titles. Pats don’t care about the AFC East, they care about SBs. Bama don’t give a **** about a SEC crown; it’s Nat’l title or bust. We USED to be like that, hence hearing we stunk winning 7 in a row after going 1-3 to start the season sounds like foreign language today.

In all due respect, I don’t know how long U’ve been a fan, but at that time, we did stink, per our standards. Top 25 wasn’t considered a success or a decent year at this time, not for a perennial power. Losing more than 2 games was considered a disaster, no matter how hard our schedule was. Plus, we lost to VT for the first time & VT wasn’t VT as we know them today. From like 1920 til 1994, VT was a bottom feeder program. Think their best yr was 1954 where they went undefeated in 9 games, but that was an anomaly...they constantly loss between 3-8 games/yr on a consistent basis.

We got blew out by UCLA, lost to an unranked team for the 1st time since 1984 (VT), & started the season 0-3 against FBS teams for the 1st time since like 1976. So yeah, we stunk.

Now, today in 2021, would I take starting 1-3 & then finishing 7-0?? With the chit that we’ve seen; yes. But to ur point, words matte; so unless u were apart of what we witnessed up to that point, u wouldn’t get it. I’ve been able to personally witness 4 of our 5 national titles, with one being in person at the Rose Bowl. So I get why that terminology was used, again, at that time. Standards matter, whether u agree or not. That’s just the facts. Celtics/Lakers fans ain’t happy w/ conference or division titles, their standards r NBA titles. Pats don’t care about the AFC East, they care about SBs. Bama don’t give a **** about a SEC crown; it’s Nat’l title or bust. We USED to be like that, hence hearing we stunk winning 7 in a row after going 1-3 to start the season sounds like foreign language today.
Spot on.

In 1990 #1 Miami opened with a loss at BYU and incurred a mid-season loss at ND. The Canes did whip FSU at the OB, and gave a epic beatdown to Texas in the Cotton Bowl. Finished 11-2 and ranked 2nd or 3rd.

A ‘disappointing’ season, since the program won the NC the prior and following seasons.

Obviously a NC every season is unrealistic, as it was then, but the NC should be always be the goal. And if or when the team fails to achieve that goal they need determine the course corrections necessary to progress towards that goal the following year. And so on, and so on.

Spot on.

In 1990 #1 Miami opened with a loss at BYU and incurred a mid-season loss at ND. The Canes did whip FSU at the OB, and gave a epic beatdown to Texas in the Cotton Bowl. Finished 11-2 and ranked 2nd or 3rd.

A ‘disappointing’ season, since the program won the NC the prior and following seasons.

Obviously a NC every season is unrealistic, as it was then, but the NC should be always be the goal. And if or when the team fails to achieve that goal they need determine the course corrections necessary to progress towards that goal the following year. And so on, and so on.

Man, fans have been so lured into “building champions”, “we’re progressing”, “trust the process” etc, etc that they don’t understand where any fan of this program for 30+ yrs is coming from when we complain. We know what greatness is, and we know what a standard is; not battling for a divisional crown in one of the weakest divisions of CFB.

Advertisement
Honestly I wonder how a school supported by wealth city folk would let a group of country hicks create programs better organized and ran than city slickers. Best talent within 50 miles than any school and our Boosters and Alumni let a bunch of country boys make us look like idiots.

Look in the mirror

Man, fans have been so lured into “building champions”, “we’re progressing”, “trust the process” etc, etc that they don’t understand where any fan of this program for 30+ yrs is coming from when we complain. We know what greatness is, and we know what a standard is; not battling for a divisional crown in one of the weakest divisions of CFB.
Brick by brick, bro!

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back