3 years

Bunche was a fine prospect to offer - good size, good potential, generally hard working

Mike James would have been a hybrid RB/FB that did a million little things for us like Quatrine Hill did in the early 2000s, and he was Miami caliber for that specific role. We were just so thin at RB that he had to man one spot. It seems like Tampa Bay thinks he has some talent.

Feliciano wasn't offered last minute, he was offered after Miami's spring game. He approached the Miami coaches getting on the bus and gave them his tape.

Hurns would have played on plenty of Miami teams. In 2001 our #2 receiver was Ethnic Sands. Is Hurns as good as Sands? Yes, and then some. Hurns is a much better player.

Besides that, everybody else sucks

Advertisement
Give me one guy in this Sr. class that Al "failed" to develop as a first round pick?

Again you aren't understanding the point. We don't know who would have developed. But when your school is consistently failing to produce first rounders from a crop of players that other schools pump out into first rounders, statistically it is impossible that three different staffs just happen to be "unlucky" when it comes to who ends up being a good player.

This idea that every other school is guessing write in recruiting, including the lower rated kids, and we are constantly guessing wrong, is LAUGHABLE.

Here's the better question: what senior did Al Golden DEVELOP?

Shayon Green was a lowly 2 star and actually developed pretty nice and had a solid jr and sr year.. Clive Walford has gotten better every season here and was another low 3 star recruit with 3 offers.. Ladarius Gunter was a 2 star juco recruit and should of made one of the all acc teams last year and has gotten better each year. He will play in the NFL..

I thought Green was a high three star recruit but injuries messed him up... If I recall correctly, He was such an outstanding athlete that he also was a running back... He did well but according to his pro day performance, did our scheme hinder him... I mean he was a 4.5 DE that was strong and fast, yet we couldnt produce any sacks... Walford has improved each year although I feel he's underutilized... As for Gunter... He's decent... He's performing like his star rating... He wasn't better than any of the all-conference corners listed...

Our issue is we have had talent but are we really getting the most out of it?

Give me one guy in this Sr. class that Al "failed" to develop as a first round pick?

Again you aren't understanding the point. We don't know who would have developed. But when your school is consistently failing to produce first rounders from a crop of players that other schools pump out into first rounders, statistically it is impossible that three different staffs just happen to be "unlucky" when it comes to who ends up being a good player.

This idea that every other school is guessing write in recruiting, including the lower rated kids, and we are constantly guessing wrong, is LAUGHABLE.

Hurns, Linder

Linder was a wildly heralded recruit who won't be drafted until at least round three, and Hurns may not be drafted at all despite bing a three star kid from Miami.

That is not development.

Development is taking a kid like Calvin Pryor, a 3 star who Miami didn't even want, and getting him drafted by pick 18 after his junior year.

By that definition, it would be impossible for us to "develop" anyone since it would have to be a player we didn't want. Not all 2 stars are the same. No amount of development gives Gaines the natural athletic ability of Mack. They may have both been 2 stars, but Gaines had a much lower cap due to his lack of athleticism. With Hurns, he had one of the best single seasons in school history as a former 3 star. How is that not development? His lower draft status is due to his limited athleticism, not production. I would argue the staff got as much out of them as they possibly could.

See this is my issue with the "development" of players... The emergence of Hurns should not have resulted in the decline of Dorsett and Walford... Yea Dorsett was injured but his production was quite pedestrian before his injury... The same as Streeter his emergence should have coexisted with the consistent contributions of Byrd and Benjamin, yet they both regressed... That's not development... When McGahee was beasting it added another dimension to our team... No one fell off... That's my issue... For some reason we may witness a person emerge then another prospect falls off for whatever reason...

Hurns, Linder

Linder was a wildly heralded recruit who won't be drafted until at least round three, and Hurns may not be drafted at all despite bing a three star kid from Miami.

That is not development.

Development is taking a kid like Calvin Pryor, a 3 star who Miami didn't even want, and getting him drafted by pick 18 after his junior year.

By that definition, it would be impossible for us to "develop" anyone since it would have to be a player we didn't want. Not all 2 stars are the same. No amount of development gives Gaines the natural athletic ability of Mack. They may have both been 2 stars, but Gaines had a much lower cap due to his lack of athleticism. With Hurns, he had one of the best single seasons in school history as a former 3 star. How is that not development? His lower draft status is due to his limited athleticism, not production. I would argue the staff got as much out of them as they possibly could.

See this is my issue with the "development" of players... The emergence of Hurns should not have resulted in the decline of Dorsett and Walford... Yea Dorsett was injured but his production was quite pedestrian before his injury... The same as Streeter his emergence should have coexisted with the consistent contributions of Byrd and Benjamin, yet they both regressed... That's not development... When McGahee was beasting it added another dimension to our team... No one fell off... That's my issue... For some reason we may witness a person emerge then another prospect falls off for whatever reason...

Byrd was an absolute scrub! Did you really expect anything out of him? He one solid game against GT in 09. Nothing more then a slow possession WR. Beji always had inconsistent hands and was about 160 pounds. Still he had 600 yards and 3 TDs his senior years..which was basically the same his Soph and Jr season. His production in yards dipped a tad, but that is because we didnt have to rely on him as much especially when we had Hankerson exploding in 2010 and Streeter the following season

none of goldens recruited kids were in this draft so i cant really judge this statement

but if you want to talk about development hurns didnt do anything until golden got here and every year he got better, but that may be about the kid more, also a lot of development has to do with the kid putting in that work

Last edited:
Advertisement
none of goldens recruited kids were in this draft so i cant really judge this statement

but if you want to talk about development hurns didnt do anything until golden got here and every year he got better, but that may be about the kid more, also a lot of development has to do with the kid putting in that work

Or it cod be that when Golden got here Hurns was an underclassmen and when he left a senior?

Players going from non starting freshmen to startig seniors is not a sign of a staff that develops NFL talent.

Having a LB Corp running 4.75 sec 40yd times is very concerning interms of team speed. The LB Corp should avg 4.5 with the slowest in running around 4.6. This is why over the last few years the defense has been getting out run for big gains. Hopefully these kids will work on their speed over the summer break. Because the Louisville game will expose that lack of foot speed in a hurry. The old school defenses had LB corps running on avg in the 4.4 range, they were lighter in weight but stronger.

OP very good write up of the evenings events.

Go Canes

I'm gonna post this and then neg the **** out of you. The slowest running 4.6s?? Seriously??

Only 2 LBs in the entire draft ran 4.5s at the combine. One was Tevin Smith and he weighed 218lbs!!!

The next 13 guys all ran between 4.64 and 4.74, including Mack the 5th overall pick running 4.65.

Go back to last year. Again, one guy ran a 4.47, Zaviar Gooden, ever heard of him (3rd round to Tennesse, 12 tackles all year)?? One guy ran a 4.55, Cornelius Washington (drafted in the 6th round and didn't play).

The next 12 guys ran between 4.61-4.74 and 7 of those running in the 4.7s.

2012 the same ****! These are all the TOP 15 performers out of **** near 40 guys. Where are all these LBs running 4.4s and 4.5s growing on ******* trees to you apparently?? 8 guys in 9 years have run a 4.4 at the combine. The only ones to note:
Thomas Howard (2nd rounder 2006, 4 good years, now he's not on a team)
Antwan Barnes (4th rounder 2007, 2 good years, pass-rusher, blew out his knee last year)
Gary Guyton (Undrafted 2008, 1 good year in 09, 1 ok year, not on a team right now)
Mychal Kendricks (2nd rounder for the Eagles, 2 good years, last year he played well)

Ray Lewis ran a 4.58 at his Pro-Day, Jon Vilma ran a 4.61 at the combine, D.J. Williams the freak a 4.55 at the combine, Dan Morgan a 4.54 at his pro day. Those are some of the best players ever to play LB here.

Can't everyone just do a little bit of research before posting things like this. Be informed, don't look foolish. Our defense has been turrible, but our team speed overall is improving.

Hurns, Linder

That is not development.

There's more to it than that. I don't think Walford declined last year, his receptions were up from 25 to 34. His ypc was down but that had more to do with several times in 2012 where he caught 5 yard passes and there was no one around for 20 yards. Dorsett, you have a point. Him and Morris were not on the same page at all last year. However, we also had 60+ fewer pass attempts. Streeter's big year, Benjamin's receptions and TDs were the same as the previous year and he was used more in the return game. Byrd's numbers fell off a cliff, but we also had more than 100 fewer pass attempts from the prior year.
It's hard to compare anything to the 2000-2002 teams, just too much talent all around. Morris was only able to spread around so many completions, so it's hard to judge the "development" of a WR without taking into account all the other variables. You can't measure it just with numbers, with a WR it's dependent on the QB, with a RB the OL. I don't think most of us have the time or resources to watch every play isolated to watch things like route running, separation, blocking, I know I don't. That's where you see development, but we all fall back to stats because it's easy. ****, I did it in this post

Or it cod be that when Golden got here Hurns was an underclassmen and when he left a senior?

Players going from non starting freshmen to startig seniors is not a sign of a staff that develops NFL talent.

So you are saying that even though his numbers got better and better through out his time here has nothing to do with the staff, so every kid that gets better every year in college has to do with them being upper classmen and has nothing to do with a staff, good logic

Last edited:
Advertisement
Having a LB Corp running 4.75 sec 40yd times is very concerning interms of team speed. The LB Corp should avg 4.5 with the slowest in running around 4.6. This is why over the last few years the defense has been getting out run for big gains. Hopefully these kids will work on their speed over the summer break. Because the Louisville game will expose that lack of foot speed in a hurry. The old school defenses had LB corps running on avg in the 4.4 range, they were lighter in weight but stronger.

Go Canes

I'm gonna post this and then neg the **** out of you. The slowest running 4.6s?? Seriously??

Only 2 LBs in the entire draft ran 4.5s at the combine. One was Tevin Smith and he weighed 218lbs!!!

The next 13 guys all ran between 4.64 and 4.74, including Mack the 5th overall pick running 4.65.

Go back to last year. Again, one guy ran a 4.47, Zaviar Gooden, ever heard of him (3rd round to Tennesse, 12 tackles all year)?? One guy ran a 4.55, Cornelius Washington (drafted in the 6th round and didn't play).

2012 the same ****! These are all the TOP 15 performers out of **** near 40 guys. Where are all these LBs running 4.4s and 4.5s growing on ******* trees to you apparently?? 8 guys in 9 years have run a 4.4 at the combine. The only ones to note:
Antwan Barnes (4th rounder 2007, 2 good years, pass-rusher, blew out his knee last year)
Gary Guyton (Undrafted 2008, 1 good year in 09, 1 ok year, not on a team right now)
Mychal Kendricks (2nd rounder for the Eagles, 2 good years, last year he played well)

Ray Lewis ran a 4.58 at his Pro-Day, Jon Vilma ran a 4.61 at the combine, D.J. Williams the freak a 4.55 at the combine, Dan Morgan a 4.54 at his pro day. Those are some of the best players ever to play LB here.

Can't everyone just do a little bit of research before posting things like this. Be informed, don't look foolish. Our defense has been turrible, but our team speed overall is improving.

Thank god someone shut Paranos up. I don't where he comes up with his bullshi

Development plays a role but so does picking the right kids to begin with. The 2010 class was a disaster. The list of kids that left the program or were not good enough to begin with is off the charts. It has to be the worst class in the history of the program.

moving linder around the offensive line instead of letting him settle in at guard did not help his draft status. seeing a guy struggle out of position on film does nothing to boost his draft status despite the "benefit" of learning every oline position

Hurns, Linder

After draft last night and another no 1st round pick from Canes the question comes up after Al's third year.

Did Al inherit that big of a greasefire from Blandy or is the staff just failing to develop talent?

Consider this Charlie strong was at Louisville for the same amount of time and they just had 3 first round picks an will have a few more get drafted over the next few days. An on the field strong embarrassed both UM and UF just to prove a point.

So to answer your question it is a combination of both staff and defensive scheme. But these things are being corrected.

Go Canes

Like everything except that.

Advertisement
i will give credit to the staff that they seem to develop wrs, running backs, and i would say dbs are trending upward. outside of that we struggle to quickly develop any other position unit. the increase in production of our other positions has been at a snail's pace. too many examples of teams out there doing more with less talent. and to all of those people who think purely having kids drafted is indicative of "talent", you're thinking too simply. you have plenty examples of kids who come in to college with great athleticism who aren't developed and go no where. you also have kids that don't come in as stellar athletes, but through good coaching and maybe a whole lot of self motivation break through and increase their talent and skill set. we seem to be one of the few major programs that have little to no "break through" athletes. when you have year after year of kids underperforming regardless of star ranking, then you have to stop questioning the incoming talent and start questioning the culture of the team. it's a lazy culture that plagued this team under randy and is very slowly changing under golden. maybe too slow to save his job. my wish is to see some "break out" players. let me see a few 2 and 3 stars overachieving and our higher rated guys exceed expectations.

Last edited:
After draft last night and another no 1st round pick from Canes the question comes up after Al's third year.

Did Al inherit that big of a greasefire from Blandy or is the staff just failing to develop talent?

Consider this Charlie strong was at Louisville for the same amount of time and they just had 3 first round picks an will have a few more get drafted over the next few days. An on the field strong embarrassed both UM and UF just to prove a point.

So to answer your question it is a combination of both staff and defensive scheme. But these things are being corrected.

Go Canes

Oh so Charlie Strong developed talent with the NCAA on his back to? Or got blessed with enough south florida talent to be considered the Miami of the Big East?

Go Canes

2012 the same ****! These are all the TOP 15 performers out of **** near 40 guys. Where are all these LBs running 4.4s and 4.5s growing on ****ing trees to you apparently?? 8 guys in 9 years have run a 4.4 at the combine. The only ones to note:

Thank god someone shut Paranos up. I don't where he comes up with his bullshi

Parano's still leaving in the 90's where every skill guy was running a 4.3-4.4 and LBs 4.5.If he was paying attention we hardly see kids 40s anymore because they're not that fast.Top wrs and rbs are routinely timed in the 4.6 to 4.7.

Advertisement
so far, neither Randy nor Golden has proven that they can improve a recruit's draft stock by having them play at the U.

Go Canes

Damnit I liked this statement and then saw the end after I repped.

I swear, you folks have gone full ******. The entire fan base was beside themselves because Randy had a horrific last class and a mediocre class before then. Folks were so mad that randy got run off. Now you are trying to blame Al for not developing Jimmy Gaines, aj highsmith, kacy Rodgers and crew. You same idiots don't see how all the young thundercats are coming along. This is the best developing roster we have had in **** near a decade. If you don't see what flowers, duke, carter, burns, Howard, dorsett, figs, mccord, Pierre and crew doing from a development stand point.....well your just to dumb to talk to.

Hurns, Linder

That is not development.

If you don't think Linder and Hurns developed, there's no point in even discussing this. Your argument is weak on so many points. First of all, you're assuming that draft status equals development. Did Ken Dorsey develop? Yeah, thought so.

Hurns is going to be a heck of a receiver for whoever drafts him. Very sure handed, runs excellent routes. Could be a Wes Welker type player (who was also undrafted). I'm not sure that Linder's ceiling was ever that high (as in a first round talent). He was excellent for us, which is what we needed. I'd consider that development, unlike Henderson -- who should have been a first round talent that was not developed for whatever reason people want to attribute that.

If Dorsey had Morris arm, he'd have been a high first round pick.

Advertisement
Back