3 Things I will never understand about Miami recruiting

It's not really very hard to understand. We are recruiting kids like we are Bama, or Clemson, or Ohio State, or even Florida. Those are the caliber of recruits we are chasing after most of the time.
But the reality of it all is we have not been relevant for 15 years. Last year gave us hope, and that hope came with a top 10 class. But this year's ineptitude has shown recruits that Miami is the same old Miami, a middle of the pack coastal team.
Most blue chip recruits want to win. They want to play for established programs. I guarantee you if we had a better record than Florida and an offense that was humming guys like Tarquin would be canes.
This is why every loss Miami sustains is devastating to the program. This is why ineptitude in coaching (basically our whole offense) is so dangerous to Miami. Many local recruits want to believe. They want the canes to be back, to be relevant year in and year out. But most will not take the gamble. Miami has to prove their relevance for them to jump onboard. When you go 7-5 and look ugly doing it, they find greener pastures.

But but they told me that losing games doesn’t affect recruiting.

Advertisement
Does anyone on here think that everyone else " drops bags" but Miami doesn't? I think its more accurate to say we've been out bid.

We focus on our misses b/c, as was said by others, we focus on Miami. If you followed Texas you'd be aware of their misses and not Miami's.

I also think its quite valid that for many parents of SoFla kids, getting out of this environment is seen as a benefit. Cant blame them for thinking that way either. Sometimes the big city vibe repels recruits and sometimes it attracts them.

Finally, we have to realize we simply haven't been relevant in any true sense of the word in terms of upper tier College football for FIFTEEN years. These recruits were 2-3 years old when we were last in any meaningful national conversation.

While I cannot give any coach a pass at UM for ever being rated lower than top 10-15 in recruiting simply by the place we call home where its almost impossible to land a class out of the top 15, I think we have to realize that ASIDE from geography and maybe the stories told to the recruits by their Dads or uncles, we simply are not an attractive program at this point in time and haven't been so in years.

Don’t underestimate having that whole campus atmosphere and on campus stadium. Down here they’re just another fish in a big pond but in places like Athens , Tuscaloosa, Gainesville they own those cities and have everybody worshipping them. And also like Kendall Briles used to tell his recruits at Baylor “you like white girls? Because we have plenty of those “

Don’t underestimate having that whole campus atmosphere and on campus stadium. Down here they’re just another fish in a big pond but in places like Athens , Tuscaloosa, Gainesville they own those cities and have everybody worshipping them. And also like Kendall Briles used to tell his recruits at Baylor “you like white girls? Because we have plenty of those “

Cynicism is much more popular and convenient than big picture realities. Just throw the word bags out there and it explains everything.

I don't mind being the one who grasps the big picture reality before anyone else. Day to day variables mean nothing. Everyone tries to explain this kid's decision process and that kid's priorities because they made the laughable error of following every step of the way, often for years. Meanwhile I can ignore everything and simply understand that a wide scope variable is going to dictate the choices, and Miami stuck itself in this negative expectancy predicament when that on-campus stadium was never built.

It is not impossible for Miami to have recruiting excellence. But minus that stadium our margin for error is gone and everything else has to be perfect. The coach has to have a great reputation and the won/loss record needs to be top notch and the Canes in the pros need to be thriving and the assistant coaches have to master recruiters, and so forth. Other programs don't have anything close to that type of burden.

This class didnt seem to have a leader in it like Dee Jay and Lingard and some others were.

Also think it's cyclical. Is it just me or is it a down year in Dade and Broward this year. The DB that went to Clemson is first, we have the second highest rated guy in Solomon at 83, TS at 100 is undecided. Also don't see underrated guys we all knew would be good like Garvin and Joe Jackson.

Dade is a top heavy (esp if you don't consider Lucas dade with transfer), but it is def a down year overall by Dade's usual standards in overall numbers. Last year, for instance, was much deeper and so is next.

Broward is still pretty stacked, a little less at the top maybe but you still got Bogle and Battle, and then a lot of top 50 types.

Advertisement
Current highschool kids have only seen Miami as a bad team.
They weren't alive when we were good. Just youtube videos.

Cynicism is much more popular and convenient than big picture realities. Just throw the word bags out there and it explains everything.

I don't mind being the one who grasps the big picture reality before anyone else. Day to day variables mean nothing. Everyone tries to explain this kid's decision process and that kid's priorities because they made the laughable error of following every step of the way, often for years. Meanwhile I can ignore everything and simply understand that a wide scope variable is going to dictate the choices, and Miami stuck itself in this negative expectancy predicament when that on-campus stadium was never built.

It is not impossible for Miami to have recruiting excellence. But minus that stadium our margin for error is gone and everything else has to be perfect. The coach has to have a great reputation and the won/loss record needs to be top notch and the Canes in the pros need to be thriving and the assistant coaches have to master recruiters, and so forth. Other programs don't have anything close to that type of burden.

Having an off-campus stadium has nothing to do with Miami's recruiting issues.

Advertisement
Back