3 Things I will never understand about Miami recruiting

mbuendia

Freshman
1. Why do we seem to be the only team where we are always fighting and uphill battle to convince mama dukes to get on board with her son to stay and play for the home team?

2. Why are constantly called out on not being the first to offer a kid Or slow stepping on an offer yet our recruiting rivals can come in and offer whenever the **** they want and swoop in and take kids we’ve established relationships with Yet the inverse is rarely if ever successful when we try it?

3. Similar to number one why do we always seem to be the team where a prospect spurns mom’s wish for her son to stay local? The good ol “got to do what’s best for me” syndrome.

There’s more but holy **** I just don’t seem to give enough crap to ask anymore questions.

#purge19

Advertisement
1. Why do we seem to be the only team where we are always fighting and uphill battle to convince mama dukes to get on board with her son to stay and play for the home team?

2. Why are constantly called out on not being the first to offer a kid Or slow stepping on an offer yet our recruiting rivals can come in and offer whenever the **** they want and swoop in and take kids we’ve established relationships with Yet the inverse is rarely if ever successful when we try it?

3. Similar to number one why do we always seem to be the team where a prospect spurns mom’s wish for her son to stay local? The good ol “got to do what’s best for me” syndrome.

There’s more but holy **** I just don’t seem to give enough crap to ask anymore questions.

#purge19
1.Bags
2.Bags
3.Brinks Truck
Seriously, You would think it’s irrational to blame Bags but majority of the time, that’s the case

We see ballers...they see thugs

Attachments

• EE6AD119-85E6-4E14-A95F-7D2F9C994D23.jpeg
    EE6AD119-85E6-4E14-A95F-7D2F9C994D23.jpeg
    134.5 KB · Views: 20
Advertisement
The recruits use us for bags.
Most of the kids that left Miami were never coming here. There has been this illusion that was true for a while but it’s now gone. Very few want to come here. But these sec schools get suckered into believing that they want to be canes and drop bags. Then whoever is the new UM coach believes that they want to be canes and don’t offer plan b kids. Both schools get suckered into some of these kids BS. Cmr bought into this notion that year kids were so in love with the U. The only thing they love about the U is how much it raises the bag price if your either commited to or saying UM is your leader.

#purge19

1. You follow one team

2. You follow one team

3. You follow one team

1. This current age of prospects has never seen dominant Miami. To them, Miami is a lesser program than most SEC teams and FSU. Theoretically, the lesser teams (especially if it’s local) should offer first. Then they don’t get the Miami offer, and it adds to the sour taste.

2. Kids are aware the threat of Miami being great again could destroy other programs. They’re almost adults and they’re smart. A high profile commit to Miami, and worse a chain of them, scares the blue bloods and forces them to offer more to avoid Miami’s actual resurgence.

3. Parents usually know best, no matter how old their kids are getting. That being said, it’s easy for parents to see the long game and best overall situations. Miami truly does offer a unique experience with a great education, football tradition, and an international city a few miles away. The short sighted kids don’t see it that way and go to the most hype situation. As a South Floridian who came to UM, I can tell you from recent experience most people down here want to experience something different like FSU and get the traditional college vibe.

Combine these things, and it’s not hard to see why we don’t recruit to our potential. Our current staff isn’t helping either.

Advertisement
This class didnt seem to have a leader in it like Dee Jay and Lingard and some others were.

Also think it's cyclical. Is it just me or is it a down year in Dade and Broward this year. The DB that went to Clemson is first, we have the second highest rated guy in Solomon at 83, TS at 100 is undecided. Also don't see underrated guys we all knew would be good like Garvin and Joe Jackson.

Don't know if that makes a difference.

Also:

4. Why we can’t count on family legacies? Some others programs have families committed for generations and we aren’t able to land the brothers of players on roster.

Maybe we gotta start to recruit out of the state more and attract kids with a first class worldwide place more than sell Miami as home to South florida kids.

Also:

4. Why we can’t count on family legacies? Some others programs have families committed for generations and we aren’t able to land the brothers of players on roster.

Maybe we gotta start to recruit out of the state more and attract kids with a first class worldwide place more than sell Miami as home to South florida kids.

We have 2 FSU legacies on our team, and a Michigan legacy. It happens everywhere.

Advertisement
The recruits use us for bags.
Most of the kids that left Miami were never coming here. There has been this illusion that was true for a while but it’s now gone. Very few want to come here. But these sec schools get suckered into believing that they want to be canes and drop bags. Then whoever is the new UM coach believes that they want to be canes and don’t offer plan b kids. Both schools get suckered into some of these kids BS. Cmr bought into this notion that year kids were so in love with the U. The only thing they love about the U is how much it raises the bag price if your either commited to or saying UM is your leader.

This post should be CIS required reading. Kids, espescially in South Florida, use the Miami flirtation to up their asking price. The problem is the majority of our coaches the last two decades or so don't usually figure it out and get duped by these kids, too. Leaves us scrambling last minute for bodies.

Advertisement

#purge19
Believe it or not, the fact that we dont have a stadium on campus affects recruiting a lot! Kids feel UM is not all about football, while at the other SEC type schools football comes 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.

We also seemed to be moving in the right direction the last couple of years, but then Richt insisted that he is a good play caller and offensive coordinator, instead of hiring a top notch young point scoring machine. Thus, the kids know they would be in for a crappy offense yet again, and the decide to bolt and go somewhere else.

If you analyze our recruiting class (purge19), we are retaining our defensive recruits. It's the offensive kids who are jumping ship. This is all on Richt.

This year is different. There is something systemically wrong with our program. We may all have our own ideas what it Is and we may be close but we really don’t know. We are two weeks out from finding out a lot. I see it going one of two ways. We are either going to pleasantly surprised or we are going to be totally humiliated.

This class didnt seem to have a leader in it like Dee Jay and Lingard and some others were.

Also think it's cyclical. Is it just me or is it a down year in Dade and Broward this year. The DB that went to Clemson is first, we have the second highest rated guy in Solomon at 83, TS at 100 is undecided. Also don't see underrated guys we all knew would be good like Garvin and Joe Jackson.

Don't know if that makes a difference.
Joe Jackson being underrated is news to me, he was just outside the top 100. Harvey was somewhat underrated but he has shot up the rankings and is now a top 150-200 prospect.

It's not really very hard to understand. We are recruiting kids like we are Bama, or Clemson, or Ohio State, or even Florida. Those are the caliber of recruits we are chasing after most of the time.
But the reality of it all is we have not been relevant for 15 years. Last year gave us hope, and that hope came with a top 10 class. But this year's ineptitude has shown recruits that Miami is the same old Miami, a middle of the pack coastal team.
Most blue chip recruits want to win. They want to play for established programs. I guarantee you if we had a better record than Florida and an offense that was humming guys like Tarquin would be canes.
This is why every loss Miami sustains is devastating to the program. This is why ineptitude in coaching (basically our whole offense) is so dangerous to Miami. Many local recruits want to believe. They want the canes to be back, to be relevant year in and year out. But most will not take the gamble. Miami has to prove their relevance for them to jump onboard. When you go 7-5 and look ugly doing it, they find greener pastures.

Advertisement
Back