3-star DB Brownlee nabs UM offer, names Canes his leader

View as article

Stefan Adams

Managing Editor
Premium
From childhood, most of Carol City 3-star DB Jarvis Brownlee’s college football experience revolved around the Miami Hurricanes. That’s why, when the Canes offered him a chance to be in their 2019 class on Tuesday night, the idea of playing big-time football at the next level began to feel more real.

“Since I was little, that’s all I knew, Miami and Florida State, because those were the two main schools when I was growing up. So, it was a blessing when Miami told me I had the offer,” Brownlee said. “Coach Diaz told me to give him a call the other night. He told me they just had a recruiting meeting and the first group they went with were the DB’s in 2019 and I was the first name brought up. That’s when he offered me.”

Brownlee seems to have quite the following in the South Florida community and more than a few players with Miami ties were rooting for him to get his UM offer. Miami commits like Keontra Smith and Henry Gray shouted out Brownlee on Twitter within hours of his offer going public and Brownlee expanded on his relationship with the pair.

“With those guys, man, I didn’t even really get to spend a lot of time with them but each day that I have, playing with SFE (South Florida Express 7-on-7 team), was the time of my life,” Brownlee said on Smith and Gray. “We had some great times together and I love those guys.”

Lately, the contact with the Canes has really picked up, and Brownlee has felt like a priority to Miami. After getting his foot in the door with coach DeMarcus Van Dyke, Brownlee grew his connection with UM DB coaches Ephraim Banda and Mike Rumph and the staff sees him at corner.

“I mostly talk to coach Banda. I talk to Miami most every day. I knew coach Van Dyke since I was at Hallandale,” Brownlee says. “He came out one day with coach Banda and I met (Banda) from there. I got in touch with coach Banda, we started having a good conversation. He texts me every day. I’ve been on the phone with coach Rumph, he tells me about the defense. So, by the time I come to practice, I should be familiar with the plays, what they’re doing so I won’t be lost.”

So, with the offer, where are the Canes in his mind?

“Right now, they’re in the front, number 1,” Brownlee said of Miami. “The top 3 right now would be UM number 1, UCF number 2, and Pitt number 3. I’m probably going to have a top 10 in a couple of weeks.”

In terms of visit plans, Brownlee has an idea of a few schools he’d like to check out over the summer, including Miami. He also plans on taking his recruitment slow and making sure he makes the right choice for his future.

“Over the summer, I’m going to Syracuse, UM, I think I’m supposed to go to NIU June 15th,” Brownlee said. “Right now, I’m just being patient and trusting the process. I should have my decision made by playoff time. I’m trying to be graduated (in December).”

The talented corner prospect, who lists himself at 6’0” 175 pounds, will base his final decision on if a program can offer him more than just football.

“In a college, I’m looking for a school that can teach me lessons on and off the field,” Brownlee said.

When talking about the toughest receiver he went against last year, Brownlee’s first thought went to current Miami freshman corner Nigel Bethel.

“Last year, toughest receiver, going speed-wise, I’ll give it to Nigel (Bethel) from Northwestern. He’s got some wheels. I seen he be coming right. I give him that respect.”

Despite landing multiple offers this spring, Brownlee felt he could have done more to help his Carol City team last fall. That’s why for 2018, he’s putting in even more work to make sure he doesn’t fall short of his lofty expectations again.

“I felt that there was still more to be done, I didn’t accomplish all my goals,” Brownlee said. “Like, last year I wanted to not give up some passes that I did. So, it was alright, but this season I need to do more, more interceptions, make first team All-Dade. That’s why I’m grinding harder this year, so I can get that.”

Advertisement
Advertisement
Brownlee and Good are 1 in the same as they are both developmental kids.

Steele and Dent are the elite. You recruit them to the end.

Also we should have never slow played Kaiir Elam.

Another thing Brownlee could play Slot Corner behind also.

Where is this we only want 1-2 corners narrative coming from? What is that based on?

Advertisement
If Frierson, Ivey, and Blades Jr are as good as advertised their freshmen year I can see us only taking 3 CBs.

Especially since TStephenson is being recruited as a FS.

Brownlee and Good are 1 in the same as they are both developmental kids.

Steele and Dent are the elite. You recruit them to the end.

Also we should have never slow played Kaiir Elam.

Another thing Brownlee could play Slot Corner behind also.
They are not the same at all, Brownlee is a legit Corner & has played CB since he was at Hallandale. He started as a Sophomore & had a great Junior season in a down year for CC.

He has very good ball skills & naturally gets his head around, plus he's played significantly better comp in the toughest 6A District in the State. Good only has physical traits that could make him a legit CB after 2 years of developing. Brownlee could come in & play early.

Dent not coming, he's just waiting on Bama & Steele is a complete long shot. I'm the highest on Elam & hate that we haven't made more headway with him because he's one of the 3 best CB's in this class so agree with you on that.

But everything to me is contingent on landing Stevenson & Richards, we simply cannot afford to miss on those two.

They are not the same at all, Brownlee is a legit Corner & has played CB since he was at Hallandale. He started as a Sophomore & had a great Junior season in a down year for CC.

He has very good ball skills & naturally gets his head around, plus he's played significantly better comp in the toughest 6A District in the State. Good only has physical traits that could make him a legit CB after 2 years of developing. Brownlee could come in & play early.

Dent not coming, he's just waiting on Bama & Steele is a complete long shot. I'm the highest on Elam & hate that we haven't made more headway with him because he's one of the 3 best CB's in this class so agree with you on that.

But everything to me is contingent on landing Stevenson & Richards, we simply cannot afford to miss on those two.
Steele and Dent are not coming agree, this post is spot on. Why do I think we miss Stevenson I had the feeling for awhile now, hes a must get too

Advertisement
Advertisement
We need a nickel corner and 2 Big Corners that fit Rumph style

Honestly they probably notice he is a good kid that they can develop down the line.

Also sends a message to DBs in Florida. You better be phsyical if you want to play here.

Like Brownlee's style of play, played for a large school that faces top competition The only drawback may be his slight build and somewhat on the shorter size in stature (5-9.5 and 169). The weight can be solved with a solid S&C program. Good kid overall.
Nike Football The Opening

Advertisement
Back