3-star 2020 LB AJ Mathis offered

Advertisement
6'2 215lbs from out of Largo, goes to Pinellas Park HS.

Plays mostly Mike backer & some OLB, has good speed, great motor getting after the ball carrier & can hit really well.

Has 206tcks & 12TFL's in 3 years as a starter (86tcks 9TFL's his Junior year).

Offers from Auburn, FSU, UF, Oregon, LVille, Kentucky, USF, West Va & Vandy.

Advertisement
man, his film don't look that great to me.... I much prefer Hyppolite!

The film in this thread is sophomore film. I’ll post his junior tape below and I hope your opinion will change.

Junior film .

Shows size, speed and quick reaction time. What you need to take notice of is his ability to not even be fazed by linemen trying to get their hands on him. The play happens so fast that you don’t even realize that after one step towards LOC he’s already quickly used his hands and agility to deny any attempt from a linemen. You’ll see him in the backfield and the linemen falling forward or looking back because they whiffed on their block so hard.

i like his film. He appears to sift through traffic real well. Heseems rangy. Looks to be close to 200 pounds. Dont know his times but he appears to be able to run a bit. He is playing in the middle mostly, he may be able to play there for us.

I personally like Andy Gacia locally a lil bit better. But he can definately play here.

His game is similar to the LB out of Brevard we were after last class that went to Auburn i believe

Solid film but I would love to see him strike a little harder when he tackles. Also not the fastest dude for sure

Advertisement
Junior film .

What you need to take notice of is his ability to not even be fazed by linemen trying to get their hands on him. The play happens so fast that you don’t even realize that after one step towards LOC he’s already quickly used his hands and agility to deny any attempt from a linemen. You’ll see him in the backfield and the linemen falling forward or looking back because they whiffed on their block so hard.

I did notice this ^...Don't mind the kid. Like Hyppolite better if choosing between the two, but this kid definitely has some instincts. Like you said doesn't look real explosive, but if a LB can be "Smooth" (not a word usually meant for a LB) it's this kid. Near the top of the backup plan list imo

I would like to see
Austin-Cave
Hypolite
Portal

And then 1 striker from the Hanna/Bayou kids group of prospects. K-Wash imo has that spot now, but I like others better and kid seems to be jerking UM anyway.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Junior film .

Shows size, speed and quick reaction time. What you need to take notice of is his ability to not even be fazed by linemen trying to get their hands on him. The play happens so fast that you don’t even realize that after one step towards LOC he’s already quickly used his hands and agility to deny any attempt from a linemen. You’ll see him in the backfield and the linemen falling forward or looking back because they whiffed on their block so hard.

Kids a beast

Would be nice to get him and whoever the dude is that visited with him. Need to get our lbs on board now rather than get caught with our fingers in our ******* looking for guys.

Advertisement
Back