3-4 Defense

Hstokes1447

Junior
In a new interview on cane sports Olajuwon Tucker said coaches told him "he fits in perfectly in Miami's 3-4 defense". I would love to see this team run more of a 3-4 hybrid scheme but I don't think we have the LB's yet to get it done.

Advertisement
In a new interview on cane sports Olajuwon Tucker said coaches told him "he fits in perfectly in Miami's 3-4 defense". I would love to see this team run more of a 3-4 hybrid scheme but I don't think we have the LB's yet to get it done.

I do. Saw it a few times in the spring game.

Advertisement
We only have 3 ILB's on the roster right now. Who will slide inside and take on guards is what concerns me.

Advertisement
3-4 should be an improvement on our 4-3 with bonds, figs, grace, Muhammad, kumula, and McCord!

now, I don't know much about football.

but it seems like the most important thing in a 3-4 is a nose tackle.

we don't got that.

Advertisement
Besides porter I don't know who's big enough to play DT

We're gonna have the same guys on the field as if we play a 4-3.... if we're not big enough to play a 3-4, we're not big enough to play a 4-3. Your front seven are still your front seven. It's just do you want to have Bond/McCord/AQM standing up, or do you want them with their hand in the dirt.

McCord isn't gonna be any smaller just because you stand him up vs having him on the line. Same guy, same size.

You have packages for running downs and passing downs.

Wouldn't Chick be a solid DE in a 3-4? I don't really know the answer to this so I'm asking you guys that know defensive schemes inside and out. It seems like he's big enough to hold down the position and quick enough to still get a little bit of a rush to the QB. Thoughts?

If we had Chick, Luther Robinson, Jelani, and Shayon Green at DE and Porter, Earl Moore?, Ivery, and whoever else at DT plus AQM, Bond, McCord, etc as the OLB wouldn't that be a pretty solid mold? ILB would obviously be Figs, DP, Blue, Kirby, Grace, and Gaines. (Definitely forgetting players all around the board here just did this off the top of my head.

Tell me if this would work cause I dont know lol.

Advertisement
Wouldn't Chick be a solid DE in a 3-4? I don't really know the answer to this so I'm asking you guys that know defensive schemes inside and out. It seems like he's big enough to hold down the position and quick enough to still get a little bit of a rush to the QB. Thoughts?

If we had Chick, Luther Robinson, Jelani, and Shayon Green at DE and Porter, Earl Moore?, Ivery, and whoever else at DT plus AQM, Bond, McCord, etc as the OLB wouldn't that be a pretty solid mold? ILB would obviously be Figs, DP, Blue, Kirby, Grace, and Gaines. (Definitely forgetting players all around the board here just did this off the top of my head.

You just have your three best linemen on the line, that's how it works. You have Porter, Chick, and maybe Robinson or Pierre. Chick is a little small, but he's young too. A true junior, right?

You have your nose in the middle stuffing the run on each side of him, and then you have two smaller "tackles" or ends if you want to call them that. Grimble, Hamilton, I have to think these guys were recruited to play end in a 3-4.

Either way, if he's small to play end in a 3-4, then he's small to play in a 4-3. You still have to cover the same gaps. That's what people miss. How do you think all these NFL teams are switching between 3-4 and 4-3 every year? It's true the player requirements are a little different, but it's blown way out of proportion.

I don't know why people don't think Porter could play NT, dude is a moose when healthy.

You just have your three best linemen on the line, that's how it works. You have Porter, Chick, and maybe Robinson or Pierre. Chick is a little small, but he's young too. A true junior, right?

You have your nose in the middle stuffing the run on each side of him, and then you have two smaller "tackles" or ends if you want to call them that. Grimble, Hamilton, I have to think these guys were recruited to play end in a 3-4.

Either way, if he's small to play end in a 3-4, then he's small to play in a 4-3. You still have to cover the same gaps. That's what people miss. How do you think all these NFL teams are switching between 3-4 and 4-3 every year? It's true the player requirements are a little different, but it's blown way out of proportion.

Pierre, Porter/Robinson and Chick with Bond, DP, Kirby and Figs as the 4 lb's.

Works for me.

Advertisement
Back