3-4 and 4-3 Under - the front 7 (long)

Advertisement
A reference for this stuff that I have always found interesting was the leaked copy of Saban's playbook while at LSU. I imagine he has evolved slightly but not that much. The pdf can be found here.

One of the best quotes may shed some insight on what Dorito is trying to accomplish. I, for one, think he can be very successful once it is fully implemented, but am also please to hear rumblings that he is willing to be flexible with some gap shooting as well this year.

"In all situations, we will defend the inside or middle of the field first – defend inside to outside. Against the run, we will not allow the ball to be run inside. We want to force the ball outside. Against the pass, we will not allow the ball to be thrown deep down the middle or inside. We want to force the ball to be thrown short and/or outside.

"... Finally, our job is to take the ball away from the opponents' offense and score or set up good field position for our offense. We must knock the ball loose, force mistakes, and cause turnovers.Turnovers and making big plays win games. We will be alert and aggressive and take advantage of every opportunity to come up with the ball ... . The trademark of our defense will be effort, toughness, and no mental mistakes regarding score or situation in any game."

Football talk. Yessir. I've been trying my best, and I asked you to stop playing music or whatever you're doing up there in the cold so you can post more, but these are the threads that will make this board rival the Canestime board some years back.

Thank you.

My biggest thing with Donofrio isnt the overall concept, its the execution. For a DC you can give anybody Nick's, 49ers, Seahawks, etc playbook but if there are 3-4 WR on the field and you stay in base 4-3 defense with LB trying to cover slot WR, well lord help us, I dont think anybody can do anything for you.

I saw too much of that, some teams whenever they need to move the ball would just smoothly spread the field run a cross or seam from slot and pick up yards in chunks, Kstate comes to mind which still gives me nightmares

Advertisement
Sky you bring up a very valid point particularly as regards last year's "defense", such as it was. I think what you will start to see now is some legitimate sub packages out of the base 4-3 Under/3-4 defense that will allow for a nickel back in the WILL position (a gritty bump-and-run type CB like Howard would be great in the slot). In that instance I'd keep Perryman and Gaines at SAM and MIKE respectively.

The big thing is the LBs have to have their drops down to challenge the crossing routes/seams that you're talking about.

You can also devise some pretty hip blitz packages for the SS and WILL if you want to play a Cover 2 or 3 look over the top with guys like AQM, Armbrister/Figs and Bush rushing the QB.

Sky you bring up a very valid point particularly as regards last year's "defense", such as it was. I think what you will start to see now is some legitimate sub packages out of the base 4-3 Under/3-4 defense that will allow for a nickel back in the WILL position (a gritty bump-and-run type CB like Howard would be great in the slot). In that instance I'd keep Perryman and Gaines at SAM and MIKE respectively.

The big thing is the LBs have to have their drops down to challenge the crossing routes/seams that you're talking about.

You can also devise some pretty hip blitz packages for the SS and WILL if you want to play a Cover 2 or 3 look over the top with guys like AQM, Armbrister/Figs and Bush rushing the QB.

You're going to have some trouble convincing me (though I'd like to discuss it) that Perryman should be in a role where he has to consistently take on the TE. He's at his best when he's chasing stuff down. Even with the added weight, he's one guy I don't want to see moved to different spots.

Lu I feel you. I'm just not sure who else we have savvy enough to cover that position. Grace eventually maybe. You think Gaines or Figs maybe?

Lu I feel you. I'm just not sure who else we have savvy enough to cover that position. Grace eventually maybe. You think Gaines or Figs maybe?

Figs or Armbrister. They're both big enough and potentially have the ability to get depth. To me, I'd rather:

SSLB Armbrister/Figs: 75 output
MLB Gaines/Kirby: 80 output
WLB Perryman: 95 output

OVER

SSLB Perryman: 85 output
MLB Gaines/Kirby: 80 output
WLB Arbrister/Figs: 80 output

...if that makes any sense. Basically, I rather Perryman make his max impact at WLB. I think this is a problem we've had along the OLine with the shuffling. Yes, one guy might be better than another at LT (Brandon Washington as one example), but you're bringing down his impact and lowering the collective score.

Advertisement
It makes absolute sense and I think the coaches will agree with you. Personally I'd want our most proven LB at SAM in this defense due to the risk of that position and right now it's Perryman. I think it's easier to find an effective WILL.

But again, I suspect the D coaches are thinking as you are. That's why I'm a musician...

It makes absolute sense and I think the coaches will agree with you. Personally I'd want our most proven LB at SAM in this defense due to the risk of that position and right now it's Perryman. I think it's easier to find an effective WILL.

But again, I suspect the D coaches are thinking as you are. That's why I'm a musician...

In that case, maybe Gaines. Except, I worry about Gaines if he has a lot of depth responsibility. F* it. Maybe Armbrister or Figs show us something special. Figs isn't an ordinary Frosh. He's a year older and was here in the Spring.

All in all, I think we'll see A LOT less times with 3 LBs on the field. I hope they've got that **** in order this year. If I see a SSLB over a slot, I'm just going to have addict-like flashbacks to 16 yard completions by average QBs.

Agree wholeheartedly with your 2nd paragraph. I think we'll see Perryman/Gaines at LB in nickel and hopefully Howard/Crawford in the slot.

IMO, Gaines and DP will be the primary backers for the D this season.

In the nickle, I'd put Gunter over the slot and leave Crawford and Howard on the outside receivers.

Using Cain, McCord, Quan, or Green as the 4th DL gives the ability to remain "multiple" in the front. All of them can play standing up or with their hand in the dirt.

Advertisement
Gunter was my other thought at nickel as well, I just love the idea of Howard mauling slot WRs...

I absolutely love Artie in the slot for certain coverages. You can bring him on the blitz. I doubt we have a better corner to chase routes (crosses, drags) across the field. And, he can support the run game.

Advertisement
I would have:

Gunter boundary corner (short side)
Crawford field corner (wide side)
Howard nickel

All in all, I think we'll see A LOT less times with 3 LBs on the field. I hope they've got that **** in order this year. If I see a SSLB over a slot, I'm just going to have addict-like flashbacks to 16 yard completions by average QBs.

Do you think that was due to more confidence in the LBs in zone coverage as opposed to the inexperienced CBs? Or perhaps overcompensation for the porous run defense (which was MUCH worse earlier in the season when Porter was out)?

Not Lu but I think it was lack of confidence in ANYTHING. We had neither the personnel nor the experience to effectively play the run or the pass well last year, so it became "everybody bail and hope the QB makes a mistake somewhere before the endzone, and maybe we can tighten up in the red zone."

Advertisement
Back