3/1 vs VT (ESPN 2) 12:00pm

Advertisement
Happy Miami won, but I'm not going to sit here and pretend that was a foul late. Lykes was bailed out, he was out of control and lost his footing. What bothers me about that possession was that Lonnie wasn't included. Go with the guy that has shown the ability to get his own shot, and has the size and toughness needed to finish with contact.

Maybe this was the basketball gods repaying Miami for the robbery that was the Boston College game up there.

**** off. He hit Lykes as he was reaching around, 100% the correct call.

Only our "fans" would try to argue that should not have been called, which is all the more pathetic given how much officials have screwed us this year.

Nah, you were praying for a loss so you could ***** about Coach L. Too bad

Fresh off the replay.

The bad:

Offense with Huell and Izundu in early foul trouble
Long stretches of not scoring. The final 8 minutes of the second half, for instance
FT shooting totals (10-18)
Crowd never seemed into the game
Unflattering camera angles of DJ's spare tire
VT trash talking (eff them)

The good:

Shout out to our seniors
Lykes getting foul calls at both ends of the halves. The one at the end of the first half was huge
IV's basket at 7:30ish of the first half
Huell's first 3 buckets of the second half
DJ continuing to dribble penetrate
Us winning a game in which we didn't play our best basketball

Bring on the conference tournament

Only our "fans" would try to argue that should not have been called, which is all the more pathetic given how much officials have screwed us this year.

Considering that I've stood up for L against the stupidity that is our fanbase, I'm quite sure I wasn't hoping for a loss. That said, in that situation, that shouldn't have been a foul, much like the foul called late in the BC game was complete nonsense. CL was out of control, tripped over himself and hit the deck. Most of the time, that's a no-call at best, and a turnover at worst. Wasn't happy with the iso for CL, he isn't going to be able to get his own shot against beefier guards, especially in short clock situations. Let Lonnie get the touch, he's a better FT shooter anyway.

Advertisement
Question: Was that Lykes pass (cross court) to Amp that bad?

Granted it was risky, the first person to touch it was Amp. Shouldn't Amp step towards the pass and try to catch it?

53 Seconds

Low percentage pass. Extremely low percentage. CL sometimes tries to make the spectacular pass, instead of looking for the easiest, most efficient one. I've lost count how many times CL has tried a no look pass to a guy who wasn't paying attention, when he had a layup for the taking. Sometimes, when you are up in the air, you just have to finish the play, don't try to throw a pass to someone who may be prepping to rebound. That, and I'd love to see CL be more efficient in placing passes where the bigs can do something with the ball when they get it. John Stockton used to say "If I couldn't make a pass to where Karl couldn't get to a move/bucket/shot within 1-2 steps, then I won't make that pass". Chris needs to learn that, and I believe he will as time passes.

Low percentage pass. Extremely low percentage. CL sometimes tries to make the spectacular pass, instead of looking for the easiest, most efficient one. I've lost count how many times CL has tried a no look pass to a guy who wasn't paying attention, when he had a layup for the taking. Sometimes, when you are up in the air, you just have to finish the play, don't try to throw a pass to someone who may be prepping to rebound. That, and I'd love to see CL be more efficient in placing passes where the bigs can do something with the ball when they get it. John Stockton used to say "If I couldn't make a pass to where Karl couldn't get to a move/bucket/shot within 1-2 steps, then I won't make that pass". Chris needs to learn that, and I believe he will as time passes.

What is the answer to the question?

What is the answer to the question?

The answer is yes, it was a bad pass, because even if Amp would have stepped forward and caught it, he would have not been in position to do anything with it. He would have had to come closer to the closeout guy, making the open jumper not open anymore.

The answer is yes, it was a bad pass, because even if Amp would have stepped forward and caught it, he would have not been in position to do anything with it. He would have had to come closer to the closeout guy, making the open jumper not open anymore.

Correct. If he caught it, he was not in a position to take a shot (at least an open one).

Advertisement

That same sack of **** defended Shalala as having had no role in our athletic department's downturn. **** that guy.

Correct. If he caught it, he was not in a position to take a shot (at least an open one).

Plus, odds are even if he would have caught it, the defender could have gotten a good swipe at the ball anyway, creating a turnover. It was a pass that had little upside, and a lot of things that could(and did) go wrong.

Considering that I've stood up for L against the stupidity that is our fanbase, I'm quite sure I wasn't hoping for a loss. That said, in that situation, that shouldn't have been a foul, much like the foul called late in the BC game was complete nonsense. CL was out of control, tripped over himself and hit the deck. Most of the time, that's a no-call at best, and a turnover at worst. Wasn't happy with the iso for CL, he isn't going to be able to get his own shot against beefier guards, especially in short clock situations. Let Lonnie get the touch, he's a better FT shooter anyway.
It was a foul. Clearly hit his arm.

It was a foul. Clearly hit his arm.

He also got ball as well, it was a touch foul, AT BEST. Frankly, in most situations, that's not even called, the only thing that helped Lykes was him tripping over his own feet. The ref anticipated a call, and didn't want to risk not calling something if Lykes was actually knocked down. It was weak, period. I'd be ****ed if Miami got dinged in a similar situation, and actually was, up in Chestnut Hill.

Advertisement
He also got ball as well, it was a touch foul, AT BEST. Frankly, in most situations, that's not even called, the only thing that helped Lykes was him tripping over his own feet. The ref anticipated a call, and didn't want to risk not calling something if Lykes was actually knocked down. It was weak, period. I'd be ****ed if Miami got dinged in a similar situation, and actually was, up in Chestnut Hill.
No, I would be ****ed that our point tried to reach on a 5’6 guard instead of forcing him to go up in traffic and trying a contested layup against the help like Lykes is prone to doing...

No, I would be ****ed that our point tried to reach on a 5’6 guard instead of forcing him to go up in traffic and trying a contested layup against the help like Lykes is prone to doing...

I agree with this. Robinson was dumb to try to reach around Lykes and swat at the ball. While the contact there may have been minimal, that action is what caused the ref to blow his whistle. If Robinson simply moves with Lykes, no foul will be called, even if Lykes trips.

It is the same reason why you tell guys to keep their hands straight up when defending a drive to the basket (and hoping to take a charge). Even if the defender doesn't make significant contact, the ref sees the defender's hands coming down and has the visceral reaction to blow the whistle.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Back