3 - 0 WITH OUT NEWTON: Newton Off Suspension ??

Like i said before we are better off without him, but for those who think
they know basketball Bruce Brown showed us what it takes to win, confidence,
being a team player, and making good tough decisions at crucial points in the game.
the way those guys stayed together even with the refs trying to take it away was huge
but for some reason when newton is in the game they look like they don't believe that
they have a chance to come back once the other team takes the lead. i can be wrong
but who else see what i see?

Advertisement
diagree, we are better with him coming off the bench. we need bodies. 7 guys deep isnt enough to make a meaningful ncaa run.

Need Jaquan. His ability to drive the basket is the best on the team. He just needs to pass the ball more and limit the turnovers. He did that against NC

Advertisement
I really think he weighs down the team when he's starting.

I'm ok with him coming off the bench, but nothing more than that.

Newton playing big chunks on minutes at PG= No bueno

Newton playing spurts at PG= ACC semis at the least....

Sent from my SM-N910T using Tapatalk

It is short sighted to say he should not be playing. He 100% should. Now, I think he should be coming off the bench as 6th man vs. Duke, where he excelled last year. He is Jamal Crawford-light.

We also need bodies nonetheless, even with him we go only 8 deep. Rodney Miller's lack of progression and ability to log even a few minutes hurts our depth. Rashad's expulsion also killed.

We need Newton this year. But hopefully he learned over these last few games how much he hurts this team but dribbling and forcing too much. Ball movement is always the best way to beat defenses. If the balls moving, the defense scrambles and then it's easy to attack. If Newton plays the right way he can be such an asset on this team. But I agree it makes sense for him to come off the bench. He then can be more of a scorer coming off the bench and his minutes can depend on if he's playing within the offense or not.

Advertisement
Far be it for me to second guess Coach L da gawd, but Newton as starting PG was obviously a no go before we even got into ACC play. If he's still here next season, he'll be battling with DJ for 15 minutes per game off the bench.

We need Newton this year. But hopefully he learned over these last few games how much he hurts this team but dribbling and forcing too much. Ball movement is always the best way to beat defenses. If the balls moving, the defense scrambles and then it's easy to attack. If Newton plays the right way he can be such an asset on this team. But I agree it makes sense for him to come off the bench. He then can be more of a scorer coming off the bench and his minutes can depend on if he's playing within the offense or not.

It's not so much a matter of him learning at this stage. He's a one dimensional, dribble drive player. He can be lethal doing it, but ultimately he's still one dimensional.

We don't have enough guys that can create their own shot without Newton. He certainly needs to play, just not as a 1.

It's not so much a matter of him learning at this stage. He's a one dimensional, dribble drive player. He can be lethal doing it, but ultimately he's still one dimensional.

I know he's one dimensional. What I mean is if he learns when to attack the defense. When he tries to go 1 on 5 he kills us. But if he can play within the offense, make the passes and then attack when the defense is scrambling he can be an asset. I hate Newton's game, I've hated it since day 1. But with this team we need people who can create and we need depth. So that is why we need him. But I've said all season that Brown should run the point and now I hope Coach L sees this too.

Advertisement
Don't think so at all. Jaquan is a far better player then DJ. DJ has found a role on this team, and its great, but Quan is a far more dynamic player that is ideal in the 6th man role. DJ should be an 8th man, which he currently is.

I love Bruce, he is a star, but people are also forgetting how many careless turnovers he makes, he is not tight with the ball.

Newton needs to come off th bench, and give the team a quick spark with his scoring.
He should be like a Jamal Crawford type role.

Don't think so at all. Jaquan is a far better player then DJ. DJ has found a role on this team, and its great, but Quan is a far more dynamic player that is ideal in the 6th man role. DJ should be an 8th man, which he currently is.

I love Bruce, he is a star, but people are also forgetting how many careless turnovers he makes, he is not tight with the ball.

I'm anticipating DJ will improve his game a lot by next season. I think Newton is what he is.

Brown is absolutely not a starting PG. But he is clearly better at running the point than Newton. The starting pg position is Chris Lykes' to lose next year.

Advertisement
Not having Newton last night showed in the 3 point shooting percentage. I think that at one point in the second half, UM was something like 2-15 from 3 point range. (They ended up 4-19, 21%... if they shot their normal percentage, the game is a blowout.) That comes from fatigue and it showed big-time with Davon last night. They need the option of putting Newton in the rotation...you can't play these games at the end of the year, or in any tourney, with a 7 man rotation and be successful.

As I said in a previous post...Newton has played out of position all year...he hasn't played PG since high school. He is a scorer and would have helped last night. He has become the goat for anything that goes wrong with this team. In the Clemson game, DJV had three of the most horrible looking turnovers that I have seen all year and in about a two minute span...bouncing the ball off of his foot...losing the ball and a Clemson player knocking it off of him out of bounds, etc. And there were crickets on this board.

Last edited:
Not having Newton last night showed in the 3 point shooting percentage. I think that at one point in the second half, UM was something like 2-15 from 3 point range. (I remembet thinking that if they shot there normal percentage, the game is a blowout.) That comes from fatigue and it showed big-time with Davon last night. They need the option of putting Newton in the rotation...you can't play these games at the end of the year, or in any tourney, with a 7 man rotation and be successful.

As I said in a previous post...Newton has played out of position all year...he hasn't played PG since high school. He is a scorer and would have helped last night. He has become the goat for anything that goes wrong with this team. In the Clemson game, DJV had three of the most horrible looking turnovers that I have seen all year and in about a two minute span...bouncing the ball off of his foot...losing the ball and a Clemson player knocking it off of him out of bounds, etc. And there were crickets on this board.

DJ is a freshman who should probably be redshirting if we had any depth. He gets the benefit of the doubt from me.

Newton is still one of the best scorers on this team. He's got his ball handling issues but we're better with him than without him IMO.

Advertisement
Back