2nd Half Offense vs UF

caneaddict

Senior
was able to make that 1 play per posession to gain 8-15 yards which allowed O'Donell to flip the field:

-Walford play when hit on knees
-Hurns sideline pay
-Duke couple runs late
-Hagens run
-Waters short screen

and others...

well managed, and beat the gators at their own game

Advertisement
What did we gain, like 70 yards after the first quarter total?

That was a pathetic showing. 1 play a drive be damned.

I know that's the best defense we'll see all season, but **** we have to do better.

better that than what Florida did being aggresive(5 TO), thats what the Gators wanted us to do, we didnt bite, we played from ahead, and gave our best player the baall, and played field position, that was the ONLY way we win that game

better that than what Florida did being aggresive(5 TO), thats what the Gators wanted us to do, we didnt bite, we played from ahead, and gave our best player the baall, and played field position, that was the ONLY way we win that game

U rite

www.miamiherald.com/2013/09/12/3621285_patience-a-golden-rule-for-hurricanes.html#storylink=addthis

But the offensive strategy against UF, Golden said, unfolded as coaches realized the game had become a back-and-forth slugfest and the Canes defense could be trusted.

As Golden witnessed Pat O’Donnell’s booming punts backing up the Gators and the Canes’ defense getting takeaways, he said it was prudent “just to be patient.” He praised UM offensive coordinator James Coley for not resorting to what he said the Canes sometimes did in the past: winging the ball and risking turnovers, which would have come against a fierce secondary.

DON’T TAKE THE BAIT

“I kept telling James just to be patient,” Golden said on Hurricane Hotline. “It’s so important that you have guys like that on your staff, because you could easily say, ‘Hey, we’re not getting an inch, so let’s just throw it.’ But now you’ve taken the cheese, you’ve taken the bait, and the whole thing unravels on you.

“We never let that unravel.”

He compared UM’s conservative strategy to two great tennis players at the baseline.

“There’s nothing wrong with just hitting it back for a while, until you get the angle and the shot you want,” he said. “We just kept hitting it back and said, ‘OK, you’re going to hit the net, or you’re going to hit it long. Prove to us that you can beat us.’ ”

Golden blamed quarterback Stephen Morris’ fourth-quarter interception on himself, telling WQAM play-by-play announcer Joe Zagacki that it was “absolutely my fault because that should have been what we call a CAR play — catch and run” — on third-and-25 from the Miami 37-yard line.

Freshman cornerback Vernon Hargreaves, whose father is a former UM linebackers coach, intercepted Morris and returned the ball 24 yards.

“We could have easily just conceded it, or threw it underneath and picked up 10 or 12 yards, punted it for 50 and then had a 62-yard swing,” Golden said. “Just a bad judgment call on my part.”

Golden refused to pin any blame on Morris or veteran receiver Phillip Dorsett, who for the second week were out of sync at times — though the two connected on a perfectly executed 52-yard touchdown late in the first quarter.

On one play with just over 10 minutes left in the final quarter, Dorsett cut toward the middle of the field on a safety blitz, his back to Morris as the quarterback threw to another spot.

Advertisement
I have to agree, in a game like that with the way things were shaping out to be....we remained claim and didn't get over excited and over aggressive and that was the key to winning that game. Its ok to win a few games ugly. NFL teams do it all the time. Gators do it ALWAYS. You regroup, you learn and then you move on. Its part of the process. 34 years back we would have been chuckin' balls into 4 deep coverage for the entire second half putting the game out of reach for us. I'll take that win as it is. I can live with it.

You don't have to be predictable to play it safe. Mix in a screen, or a draw, a first-down pass, but don't be predictable and run on every first down.

We could have done more to keep them off balance without running right into the teeth of their defense.

I didn't mind the play calling in the 2nd half. I didn't like our execution. We didn't need to be fancy we just needed guys to finish drives and step up. After Hurn's big play I thought we would score for sure. We have to capitalize in the future when we get those chances.

You don't have to be predictable to play it safe. Mix in a screen, or a draw, a first-down pass, but don't be predictable and run on every first down.

We could have done more to keep them off balance without running right into the teeth of their defense.

Agree, I would have liked to see them try and get Duke out in space a little on some PA, but agree that you can't just abandon the run.

Advertisement

This.

I know that's the best defense we'll see all season, but **** we have to do better.

Don't sell the VT defense short. They didn't give Bama squat. 11 first downs total and only ~200 total yards. Their special teams and inept QB did them in.

Advertisement
Back