25 best teams not to win the National Championship...

TheOriginalCane

So say good night to the bad guy!
Premium
Interesting reading, especially for those whose memories only go back 10 years.

Impressions:

1. The list should never include 2-loss teams. Ridiculous.

2. The list absolutely should include the 1988 Miami team, which was screwed out of a chance to play for the title by the infamous "Cleveland Gary non-fumble/blown ref call" play. The play was NEVER called a fumble by the refs, they gave the ball to ND on downs, as Miami "failed to score on fourth and goal", even though it was 4th and 7 from the 11 and Gary made it to the 1. This blown ref call was so bad that the NCAA changed the rules on split-squad ref teams to try to prevent this miscarriage of justice from ever happening again.

3. SIX TEAMS on the list were there because Miami beat them, 3 F$U teams (1980, 1987, 1992), 2 Oklahomo teams (1986, 1987), and, of course, the 1983 Nebraska team.

And this is why we can never, ever forget how great the 1987 Miami team was...we went undefeated...and we beat not one, but TWO of the teams who are considered to be the "best ever who never won a national championship", F$U and Oklahomo.

Advertisement
I had a feeling 2019 OSU would be on there. I think they would have beat LSU if they knocked off Clemson.

Advertisement
How are the '00 Canes not on there?!? I'd put money on them vs all 25 other teams on that list. Garbagio!

I genuinely believe the 2000 Canes may have beaten the 2001 Canes. I don't have them far apart anyhow. The way they were playing by the end of that season, I don't see any team beating them unless the ball bounced the wrong way.

I had a feeling 2019 OSU would be on there. I think they would have beat LSU if they knocked off Clemson.
Really? LSU was scoring at will late in the season and had maybe the best offensive season in the history of college football. I think they rout them if they play.

Advertisement
How are the '00 Canes not on there?!? I'd put money on them vs all 25 other teams on that list. Garbagio!

I genuinely believe the 2000 Canes may have beaten the 2001 Canes. I don't have them far apart anyhow. The way they were playing by the end of that season, I don't see any team beating them unless the ball bounced the wrong way.
They wouldn't have beaten 01...but 2002 is a different story...

Really? LSU was scoring at will late in the season and had maybe the best offensive season in the history of college football. I think they rout them if they play.
Would have been a really good game but I think Osu would have came out with the W. They would have put up some points.

Would have been a really good game but I think Osu would have came out with the W. They would have put up some points.

I don't see it, I think it's 50 something 30 something LSU, but you never know. Burrow and Co were clicking so well no one was holding them down.

Interesting reading, especially for those whose memories only go back 10 years.

Impressions:

1. The list should never include 2-loss teams. Ridiculous.

2. The list absolutely should include the 1988 Miami team, which was screwed out of a chance to play for the title by the infamous "Cleveland Gary non-fumble/blown ref call" play. The play was NEVER called a fumble by the refs, they gave the ball to ND on downs, as Miami "failed to score on fourth and goal", even though it was 4th and 7 from the 11 and Gary made it to the 1. This blown ref call was so bad that the NCAA changed the rules on split-squad ref teams to try to prevent this miscarriage of justice from ever happening again.

3. SIX TEAMS on the list were there because Miami beat them, 3 F$U teams (1980, 1987, 1992), 2 Oklahomo teams (1986, 1987), and, of course, the 1983 Nebraska team.

And this is why we can never, ever forget how great the 1987 Miami team was...we went undefeated...and we beat not one, but TWO of the teams who are considered to be the "best ever who never won a national championship", F$U and Oklahomo.

Your post was good enough I don't think I need to read the actual article.

Advertisement
1. After UM was screwed in 1988, "split-squad" referee teams were outlawed by NCAA rule.
2. After UM was screwed in 2000, the BCS changed its entire selection formula.
3. After UM was screwed in 2002, there was increased demand for video review of ref calls, though PI is not a call that is open to review.

They wouldn't have beaten 01...but 2002 is a different story...
I dunno, man. You have most of the '01 roster plus James Jackson, Santana, Reggie, Andre King, Dan Morgan and Al Blades. But you don't have true freshmen Rolle, Wilfork, Winslow, Gore and McGahee. And look at how hot that team was late. After edging by #1 FSU, crushes #2 VT by 20 in a game that could have been much worse, wins their next three by a combined score of 113-13, and then thrashes a top ten **** team 37-20 in the Sugar Bowl, another game that wasn't even as close as that 17pt win margin. That squad was absolutely on fire by that point! Would they beat 01? Who knows; it'd be a **** of a game. But you sure wouldn't find me betting money on 01 Canes vs 00 Canes (I'd pass all together).

Last edited:
Advertisement
I dunno, man. You have most of the '01 roster plus James Jackson, Santana, Reggie, Andre King, Dan Morgan and Al Blades. But you don't have true freshmen Rolle, Wilfork, Winslow, Gore and McGahee. And look at how hot that team was late. After edging by #1 FSU, crushes #2 VT by 20 in a game that could have been much worse, wins their next three by a combined score of 113-13, and then thrashes a top ten **** team 37-20 in the Sugar Bowl, in a game that wasn't even as close as that 17pt win margin. That squad was absolutely on fire by that point! Would they beat 01? Who knows; it'd be a **** of a game. But you sure wouldn't find me betting money on 01 Canes vs 00 Canes (I'd pass all together).
I knew there was weaknesses in the 02 team early on....team had just lost 6 starters from previous yr....2000 had a much better chance with 02 than 01....

I knew there was weaknesses in the 02 team early on....team had just lost 6 starters from previous yr....2000 had a much better chance with 02 than 01....
I absolutely agree that 2002 is the 'weakest' of the three in question. I still think if 2000 Canes in the form they were in at the end of the season somehow faced off with our 01 title team 10 times that they'd likely split them. That team was absolutely on fire! They would have blown OU out by 30+.

1. 86 Miami
  2. 88 Miami
  3. 92 Miami
  4. 00 Miami
  5. 02 Miami

92 team got waxed by Bama. I still think we were a better team than Bama, but that was the beginning of the unvravelling of the Erickson era. That team was overconfident and complacent.

The top 3 listed above all belong in the top 6 of any list of best teams not to win a 'ship. I mean, they are all among the greatest ***** jobs in all of sports (not just CFB) history. '86 belongs top 10, but I still think Vinny threw that game and for that reason, the whole team falls in my ranking.

Advertisement
Back