247 Update on Admin Changes

Advertisement
Lake has a good source on all this stuff. He’s been accurate.

Notable name there is John Ruiz. I’d been hinting at that when I said there is a big money name people aren’t talking about.

Now that it’s out, Ruiz is about to be hugely wealthy and has a deep interest in sports and potential ownership. His son played baseball at Miami.

I’ve heard the name thrown around a lot with the program lately. To me, he reminds me a little of Nevin Shapiro, and that Spac deal looks a bit shady. Not sure how in bed we want to get. That all said, if he wants to throw big money at the program I hope it works out.

I'm sure T Boone Pickens had no say at Oklahoma State as he was giving hundreds of millions to the athletic program. Welcome to the real world.

We have big money finally stepping up and willing to invest in the athletic department, and because the university may not pick their personal favorite we have posters are losing their minds.
It ain’t got **** to do with personal favorites. It does have to do with bad process. And making a guy the favorite because of a personal connection is a sure way to **** it up.

Advertisement
If we are going to wait a year for a new head coach, I’d fire Manny and let Lashlee or Simpson get fill in year.
Manny needs to be gone and someone whose not gonna be a hype man cheerleader needs to take charge.

If that's the case, then Miami deserves exactly what is about to happen. Keep going with "Miami Guy Bro" hires and keep getting "Miami Guy Bro" results. The fact that this fanbase is excited about hiring a guy with no collegiate managerial experience to run the athletic department is hilarious. Then again, our fanbase jerks off to highlight films from the Reagan era, so it's not shocking.
It's possible all the other ADs mentioned, already said no thanks...

Diaz fixed the QB room and brought us to a modern offense. I'll give you that one for sure. But this season and his current recruiting class is not leaving the program in a good spot at all. Culture is also hard to measure - I'll have a hard time being convinced that he's changed the culture at all. He's playing young guys that won't quit fighting.. that's about it. Still a bunch of loser mentalities on this roster.

Golden left the DT position in as good or better shape than Diaz is going to leave it. The LB position is still a disaster. CB is still a disaster. OL is about equal to where Golden left it. DE is far worse than Golden left it. TE is worse than Golden left it. RB/WR/QB are the only rooms that have improved and can be attributed to Manny Diaz. Golden even left Rayshawn Jenkins, Carter, Jaquan Johnson at Safety. Njoku & Herndon at TE.

The current recruiting class is going to crap because we are losing and the world knows he's done. That's how it goes. If it wasn't that way and he had a top 10 class coming in he'd probably get another year. The class last year can be a program changing class... if the next guy can keep them. But read my post above again. He had to make seismic changes to the program. He had to fire the whole offensive staff, push out some friends, demote a former All-American, re-tool... he brought in guys like T-Rob, Lashlee and Likens... Shoop et al. Professional types we haven't seen here in a while. It just didn't work out and that's too bad. He will have made millions and Miami is being forced to have a come to Jesus. He needs to go.

Diaz fixed the QB room and brought us to a modern offense. I'll give you that one for sure. But this season and his current recruiting class is not leaving the program in a good spot at all. Culture is also hard to measure - I'll have a hard time being convinced that he's changed the culture at all. He's playing young guys that won't quit fighting.. that's about it. Still a bunch of loser mentalities on this roster.

Golden left the DT position in as good or better shape than Diaz is going to leave it. The LB position is still a disaster. CB is still a disaster. OL is about equal to where Golden left it. DE is far worse than Golden left it. TE is worse than Golden left it. RB/WR/QB are the only rooms that have improved and can be attributed to Manny Diaz. Golden even left Rayshawn Jenkins, Carter, Jaquan Johnson at Safety. Njoku & Herndon at TE.
Gonna say something very controversial and will likely not be well received here. Al Golden was a sneaky good evaluator of the low 4-star/3-star caliber recruits. He was just clueless about how to use said talent and missed out on the top-tier elite talent locally

The roster Richt inherited was really talented in hindsight. Alot of guys who caught onto rosters in the league

Advertisement
Lake does good work but there are a couple issues here.

-Zo doesn't have actual experience with the "business side" of football. Anyone that knows how NFL front offices actually operate understands this and too many people are confusing an NFL job title that has the word "executive" in it with having business experience.

-He makes quite the leap in saying Gino "understands the financial side of running an operation". By this standard my cousin Skippy that is a manager at Charles Schwab is qualified to be an AD.

This last one is just my own opinion but get fat f*ck Tony Hernandez out of my face and off these lists. Might as well just keep Blake if he's the alternative. That dipsh!t will probably try to hire Tommy Amaker (and get turned down again) for our football job before he's even officially offered the job here.

Lake does good work but there are a couple issues here.

-Zo doesn't have actual experience with the "business side" of football. Anyone that knows how NFL front offices actually operate understands this and too many people are confusing an NFL job title that has the word "executive" in it with having business experience.

-He makes quite the leap in saying Gino "understands the financial side of running an operation". By this standard my cousin Skippy that is a manager at Charles Schwab is qualified to be an AD.

This last one is just my own opinion but get fat f*ck Tony Hernandez out of my face and off these lists. Might as well just keep Blake if he's the alternative. That dipsh!t will probably try to hire Tommy Amaker (and get turned down again) for out football job before he's even officially offered the job here.

Agree on Zo and Gino. Big part of the AD is fundraising - I'm sure Gino can do that well. The other part is hiring head coaches and laying out a vision for how the sports programs should be run. Not sure he has much experience on that and I don't believe Zo does either.

Big money donors stepping up is ultimately a good thing. No one is disputing that. But is it a good thing if they don't spend that money wisely? For example, hiring Toretta over Jurich as AD without even making a call to the latter simply because Gino is a "Miami guy" may not be in the best interest of the program.
How do you know if they have not made the call? I would love to see Jurich at Hecht but the guy is 65. Does the guy want to come out of retirement and deal with rebuilding an athletic department?

Advertisement
Agree on Zo and Gino. Big part of the AD is fundraising - I'm sure Gino can do that well. The other part is hiring head coaches and laying out a vision for how the sports programs should be run. Not sure he has much experience on that and I don't believe Zo does either.
Still believe we will hire an AD and Highsmith will be Associate AD for Football.

Lake has a good source on all this stuff. He’s been accurate.

Notable name there is John Ruiz. I’d been hinting at that when I said there is a big money name people aren’t talking about.

Now that it’s out, Ruiz is about to be hugely wealthy and has a deep interest in sports and potential ownership. His son played baseball at Miami.
Not the person we want leading our athletics department.

Advertisement
Agreed and I love both of those guys and think they're obviously two very capable dudes. They just shouldn't be set up to fail though either.

I'd just want either of them in a football specific role under a real AD here first where they also learn the entirety of the job and THEN they can move into the AD job when it opens up again

It would so Miami to hire Highsmith within hours of finally doing the right thing.
That's the irony of this whole situation. They did the right thing in firing Blake (and presumably) firing Manny, but they're repeating the same mistakes. This was all orchestrated to put Gino and Highsmith in charge of the program, and to hire Mario. It may ultimately work since they are likely an upgrade over Blake, Strawley, and Manny, but I'm really not expecting a legitimate search for an AD or HC.

It ain’t got **** to do with personal favorites. It does have to do with bad process. And making a guy the favorite because of a personal connection is a sure way to **** it up.
You act as if Cristobal is not an excellent and viable option. You've already stated your opinion regarding Cristobal. If it is Cristobal then so be it. If it is Kiffin, then so be it as well.

Honestly, you nor I truly know the process. There is some rumors and a lot of speculation right now.

Advertisement
Back