247 Update on Admin Changes

I get the Mas connection and all that but is this stadium even in play? And if it’s tiny why would we want it? Even if it’s closer. Hard rock is a fantastic place to play

There were conversations (when the Mas brothers were looking for a site) that maybe UM and Inter Miami could do something together. Didn't happen. Maybe it could?

Again, I said it in my "text" post (not the "picture" post). If we threw in with the Inter Miami stadium, we would need an upper bowl.

Douglas dirt mall and Due-East-of-Marlins-Stadium sites are big enough for a 60-70K stadium.

Advertisement
Yes.

If we are

--upping the budget
--paying for coaches
--acting like football is important

then maybe, just maybe, we might take a fresh look at the stadium question. No guarantees, but if UHealth is kicking us a half a billion of profits each year, then we might just be able to start thinking big.
Like normal big or paranos style women BIG lol

1. Douglas Road, between NW 7th Street and NW 11th Street. It is a dirt mall currently, and I don't want to hear a **** word about "future development plans". If you want the site, pay for the site. The footprint is, literally, larger than what we had at the Orange Bowl. Very close to the Mas brothers' soccer project at Melreese, and the parking at the football stadium could be used by Inter Miami (with shuttles running along Douglas).

2. Due east of the Marlins' stadium. 8 square blocks of old replaceable buildings. Identical footprint to the Marlins' stadium. Raze those 8 blocks, build football, use the existing parking garages, all other parking could be "tailgate" type lots. Yes, you would need City of Miami to cooperate on eminent domain and/or bond issuance. You could work out a situation where the new stadium could be connected to the Med School, maybe use the site for overflow/employee parking, maybe use the luxury boxes for medical conference rooms, etc. You could also put all the "new" football offices (necessitated by hiring a ****-ton more support staff) in the new stadium.

3. Inter Miami stadium at Melreese - yes, I realize this would have MASSIVE parking issues to resolve, but it would be on an existing mass-transit line, so Palm Beach/Broward would have some transit options. I know, I know, the CURRENT plan for the stadium is 25K, but if you look at the artist renderings, it is just a "single bowl" structure. I'm no architect, but I've been in enough stadiums to know that if you added an upper deck, you could create a seating capacity that could approach 60,000. Now, parking...different story.

I know **** well where the majority of season ticket holders live. I am a season ticket holder. I live in Orlando.

Bottom line, all three of those sites are, essentially, where the Orange Bowl was. Right off the Dolphin (most games will be on Saturday, stop whining). An extra 15-20 minutes south for people coming from the north (drive time, who knows about parking options at Melreese), with potential access to rail transit. INFINITELY closer for UM students.

I know, I know, there will be a bunch of Miami-area experts who will chime in to tell us how none of those options work. Whatever. I started at UM in 1986, I have seen MASSIVE changes to Dade County. Entire areas bulldozed, new stuff built. Very little in Dade is permanent and untouchable. Two great options and one challenging option (Melreese).
Thanks for this. It opens my eyes thinking about it since I drive past these areas 3 times a week for the past 40+ years.

I will happily keep Hard Rock and add another 30 years to the current lease over these places.

Thanks for this. It opens my eyes thinking about it since I drive past these areas 3 times a week for the past 40+ years.

I will happily keep Hard Rock and add another 30 years to the current lease over these places.

No way. If we can get ownership of either site along NW 7th Street, you take it.

Hard Rock is going to continue to transform its site into a multi-use sports orgy, where UM is the sixth priority.

Advertisement
No way. If we can get ownership of either site along NW 7th Street, you take it.

Hard Rock is going to continue to transform its site into a multi-use sports orgy, where UM is the sixth priority.
I hear what your saying but that area is a complete cluster fck and has been for years. I don't trust the city of Miami to improve it either. Hard Rock is the perfect place. Great Location and easy access. Awesome home field advantage with packed games. Great Tailgating.

Current rendering of Miami Freedom Park (Inter Miami CF stadium at Melreese). Raise the roof, build an upper bowl.

Site plan (almost no parking, as you can see); Inter Miami stadium is on the north side of the Melreese property:

View attachment 161756

Overhead site plan (the Douglas dirt mall is outside of the photo to the south/bottom of the photo, the Inter Miami stadium is on the north/top of the photo); the one parking structure appears to be along the left side of the property, along LeJeune:

View attachment 161757
i am pretty familiar with the site plan and the existing negotiations with the city.

you have 3 initial MAJOR impediments. first is parking which is underground and not enough to support 50k. plus since it is undergound there would be little to no tailgate areas second, is height. the FAA has already complained that the proposed initial height might be too high given that planes are landing less than a mile away. a bigger bowl suggest a taller bowl and further issues with the FAA. third, the city of miami (all that needs to be said).

i am pretty familiar with the site plan and the existing negotiations with the city.

you have 3 initial MAJOR impediments. first is parking which is underground and not enough to support 50k. plus since it is undergound there would be little to no tailgate areas second, is height. the FAA has already complained that the proposed initial height might be too high given that planes are landing less than a mile away. a bigger bowl suggest a taller bowl and further issues with the FAA. third, the city of miami (all that needs to be said).
Do you think pulling in UM, the county’s largest employer, may be the kick in the *** to get this over the county’s approval finish line? It would be naive to think it wasn’t slightly self serving too, but I’m ok with that if it’s the right fit for UN.

Do you think pulling in UM, the county’s largest employer, may be the kick in the *** to get this over the county’s approval finish line? It would be naive to think it wasn’t slightly self serving too, but I’m ok with that if it’s the right fit for UN.
What ever happened to that mega mall they were gonna build off of I-75? If I was Beckham and UM I would piggy back a stadium into that property. It would be amazing. A huge mall with dining parking hotels and shopping next to the stadium. Easy as **** freeway access. No need to clear any buildings. Zoning and planning already mostly done.
The revenue you can get by concerts and events would be huge cause it would be a better destination imo than anything In the tri-county.
Also it’s 10 minutes away from hard rock so there is really no difference in travel time. There will be tailgating space for days.
@rsa coral gables

Advertisement

Got nothing for the the other two but regarding FAA and building envelope.... If you cant go up, just go down. Kinda like SoFi just did in LA. Been there this year, it actually gives the stadium a very cool feel.

"The arena bowl is just the start of SoFi Stadium's opulence, however. The stadium is built deep in the ground with the playing field 100 feet below ground level, and the areas behind the main seating bowls are so vast and spacious that they're called “canyons.”"

Got nothing for the the other two but regarding FAA and building envelope.... If you cant go up, just go down. Kinda like SoFi just did in LA. Been there this year, it actually gives the stadium a very cool feel.

"The arena bowl is just the start of SoFi Stadium's opulence, however. The stadium is built deep in the ground with the playing field 100 feet below ground level, and the areas behind the main seating bowls are so vast and spacious that they're called “canyons.”"
first, going down impacts underground parking. in south florida, you can only go so deep before you hit the water table and have de-watering issues. second, there is allegedly a large underground area that is contaminated so digging it out might not be an option. regardless, i don't think a larger stadium works there just because of the parking issue.

Last edited:
maybe UM helps, but i think there are other constraints as i mentioned earlier.

Advertisement
When the love/obsession for Mario surpasses the hate for Manny, I start questioning if he is the answer…..

Stadium + Nike talk

Are we all getting unicorns and narwhals with orange and green horns from Santa too?

Last edited:
Jimmy Fallon Waiting GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon
U had the option to read the short story; u willingly chose to read the long story. U’re welcome & u can close out ur reading goals for the day. No need to thank me.

Advertisement

Did not know about the height concerns, but that makes sense with airport proximity. Take that one off the table.

It's a ****e show. Literally.

The most relevant point of the entire thing is that LeBastard is godfather to Frevola's kids. Other than that, it was a ****e show of inside jokes and inaccurate information masquerading as fact. The one guy who had any sort of a clue was talked over for 15 minutes.

I did appreciate the irony of LeBastard talking about how UM needed to clean up its program, while discreetly omitting the stuff about how he ratted us out and got us into the trouble that needed to be "cleaned up".
Tell us how it really is then. Why don't they just have you on the show to set them straight?

Why don't you have a show?

Current rendering of Miami Freedom Park (Inter Miami CF stadium at Melreese). Raise the roof, build an upper bowl.

Site plan (almost no parking, as you can see); Inter Miami stadium is on the north side of the Melreese property:

View attachment 161756

Overhead site plan (the Douglas dirt mall is outside of the photo to the south/bottom of the photo, the Inter Miami stadium is on the north/top of the photo); the one parking structure appears to be along the left side of the property, along LeJeune:

View attachment 161757
You are forgetting one tiny detail in all of this with your upper deck at the stadium - there is a major airport .25 miles away and FAA will not approve a taller structure that would interfere with flight paths, etc.

Advertisement
Back