2025 Recruiting

5 star top 10 player in the 2025 class on campus today

1712952395623.png

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
I don't follow basketball recruiting too closely but looking through that AreaCodes Basketball account and seeing the local (South Florida, Naples, and Central Florida) talent without any mention of Miami as current suitors. Can't compete in-state with Florida and FSU (forget the ACC) if we won't even attempt to keep local talent home.
What? Here we go with this nonsense AGAIN. FSU, UF and Miami, all three schools recruit NATIONALLY, with varying degrees of success. Never mind the fact that Miami has been consistently outrecruiting FSU and UF over the last 3-4 years. I'm going to say this again, maybe it'll sink in this time: THIS IS NOT FOOTBALL. Does L put more of his time and effort into recruiting the eastern seaboard? Yes, because 1)He's had a ton of success in those areas and 2) He has decades of ties to the area and it is beyond obvious the kids in places like Philly, NYC and DC are extremely receptive to the Miami sales pitch.

That said, L does put in effort down in South Florida, but he puts that time into the elite of the elite.

What? Here we go with this nonsense AGAIN. FSU, UF and Miami, all three schools recruit NATIONALLY, with varying degrees of success. Never mind the fact that Miami has been consistently outrecruiting FSU and UF over the last 3-4 years. I'm going to say this again, maybe it'll sink in this time: THIS IS NOT FOOTBALL. Does L put more of his time and effort into recruiting the eastern seaboard? Yes, because 1)He's had a ton of success in those areas and 2) He has decades of ties to the area and it is beyond obvious the kids in places like Philly, NYC and DC are extremely receptive to the Miami sales pitch.

That said, L does put in effort down in South Florida, but he puts that time into the elite of the elite.
Yes, Miami has done a good job of recruiting top recruits from other parts of the country over the last few years. At the same time, we've had some ugly misses as well with some of the OOS signees. Now, imagine how much more success the program/team would have if we had kept guys like Devin Carter (Doral HS), RJ Luis (Columbus), Jamal Mashburn, Jr. (Gulliver Prep), Jizzle James (Olympia HS - Orlando), Riley Kugel (Dr. Phillips), etc.? And that's just the tip of the ice berg. I could go on and on with guys over the last 10+ years (since Coach L has been at Miami) that became NBA pros that we completely missed out on. This short list are only some of the players from the last 2-3 classes. All guys who Miami either didn't recruit at all, or barely did so. I don't think anyone is saying Miami should stop recruiting nationally. However, I do think we could've done a better job of keeping some of the local talent home.

I agree that Coach L does recruit well nationally but some of these local kids he's not even saying hello to or by the time he does they feel disrespected.

Just wish he'd not let so many kids get out of state without so much as a phone call.

Advertisement
I agree that Coach L does recruit well nationally but some of these local kids he's not even saying hello to or by the time he does they feel disrespected.

Just wish he'd not let so many kids get out of state without so much as a phone call.

Do we know for a fact that no phone call was made?

This kid is from Orlando, which technically isn't South Florida, and it's even more telling that UF or FSU were not on his list.

Do we know for a fact that no phone call was made?

This kid is from Orlando, which technically isn't South Florida, and it's even more telling that UF or FSU were not on his list.
Do I know for a fact? LOL! Of course not! Jimmy's not telling me who he calls.

But Espn reports who he offers to. That generally suggests some degree of who he's recruiting.

But if you know for a fact that he is calling them, just say so.

I'm not saying that he never looks at Florida kids, I'm just saying a lot of talented kids get out of Florida that never even get offers. Thats not an unfair criticism is it?

This entire conversation just feels like a portion of our fanbase nitpicking. I'd be more understanding of this argument if L wasn't recruiting well(on paper) and wasn't by far the most successful coach this program has ever had, but he is and honestly, it comes across as "We need something, ANYTHING to complain about".

By the way, it's amazing that schools outside the state can slow play some of these same kids, but the local school has to love them from jump. I wouldn't be shocked if the nonsense prevalent in South Florida recruiting is annoying to Coach L, and as a result, he spends his recruiting capital elsewhere. Let's be honest here, a lot of the top end kids don't value a Miami offer, they are holding out for the "Real" basketball offers. Keep in mind that UF and FSU also don't recruit the state heavily. Maybe, not just maybe, the juice isn't worth the squeeze for the most part. Are there kids that come from the area and find success? Yes, and there's also a ton of busts as well, but those kids are rarely mentioned.

Advertisement
Do I know for a fact? LOL! Of course not! Jimmy's not telling me who he calls.

But Espn reports who he offers to. That generally suggests some degree of who he's recruiting.

But if you know for a fact that he is calling them, just say so.

I'm not saying that he never looks at Florida kids, I'm just saying a lot of talented kids get out of Florida that never even get offers. Thats not an unfair criticism is it?

It's not unfair to criticize Coach L for not offering Florida kids, but I highly doubt you'll offer a kid who's not interested.

However, it's unfair to say no phone call was made. That kind of statement gets regurgitation in these forums as fact when, in reality, none of us are plugged in and know what the staff is doing behind the scenes.

Personally, I hope the staff goes after Shon Abaev from Calvary Christian Academy (Fort Lauderdale, FL). Now that a local kid from South Florida who's also an SF.

Either way, I'm not here to argue.

With the transfer market being the way it is, it's hopeful they have some relationship with these Florida kids even if you don't land them.

It's not unfair to criticize Coach L for not offering Florida kids, but I highly doubt you'll offer a kid who's not interested.

However, it's unfair to say no phone call was made. That kind of statement gets regurgitation in these forums as fact when, in reality, none of us are plugged in and know what the staff is doing behind the scenes.

Personally, I hope the staff goes after Shon Abaev from Calvary Christian Academy (Fort Lauderdale, FL). Now that a local kid from South Florida who's also an SF.

Either way, I'm not here to argue.

With the transfer market being the way it is, it's hopeful they have some relationship with these Florida kids even if you don't land them.
Doesn't appear we are recruiting him

This entire conversation just feels like a portion of our fanbase nitpicking. I'd be more understanding of this argument if L wasn't recruiting well(on paper) and wasn't by far the most successful coach this program has ever had, but he is and honestly, it comes across as "We need something, ANYTHING to complain about".

By the way, it's amazing that schools outside the state can slow play some of these same kids, but the local school has to love them from jump. I wouldn't be shocked if the nonsense prevalent in South Florida recruiting is annoying to Coach L, and as a result, he spends his recruiting capital elsewhere. Let's be honest here, a lot of the top end kids don't value a Miami offer, they are holding out for the "Real" basketball offers. Keep in mind that UF and FSU also don't recruit the state heavily. Maybe, not just maybe, the juice isn't worth the squeeze for the most part. Are there kids that come from the area and find success? Yes, and there's also a ton of busts as well, but those kids are rarely mentioned.
Just curious, where are you getting this from? And if you use Vernon Carey Jr, that's one instance, and not necessarily what the broader S FL market thinks about being recruited by Miami.

Just curious, where are you getting this from? And if you use Vernon Carey Jr, that's one instance, and not necessarily what the broader S FL market thinks about being recruited by Miami.

Miami is a harder sell to Florida - especially south Florida - kids than out of state kids. Why? How much media coverage and attention does the program get? That’s a good proxy for local interest and enthusiasm.

Weather & the city of Miami are more attractive to cold weather kids. And L is probably better recognized in DC, NY, and Philly than he is in FL.

Advertisement
Back