2024 2024 WR Joshisa "Jojo" Trader (Miami Central)

Status
Not open for further replies.
So what dictates someone being a whiff and someone just going elsewhere? Assuming quite easily that there's VERY few people on here who really know which way a kid is leaning and what's genuine and what isn't. If Capers goes elsewhere is that a whiff because he's a highly ranked Columbus kid? Is mcgahee going elsewhere a whiff? Seriously. What lets people know who's a miss by the staff and who isn't? Is it hey this kid is from the south. So we should have our choice first and foremost?
That’s where it gets tough… if you go just on individuals it can have too many different reasons for not landing him and isn’t clear cut.

I’d rather stick to just position groups as a whole and at signing day you failed to bring in blue chip quality kids I’d consider that a whiff… like last year at WR and DT in my eyes were “whiffs” by the staff. Which then leads you to the portal hoping and overpaying you go for some kids to fall in your lap…

Advertisement
So what dictates someone being a whiff and someone just going elsewhere? Assuming quite easily that there's VERY few people on here who really know which way a kid is leaning and what's genuine and what isn't. If Capers goes elsewhere is that a whiff because he's a highly ranked Columbus kid? Is mcgahee going elsewhere a whiff? Seriously. What let's people know who's a miss by the staff and who isn't? Is it hey this kid is from the south. So we should have our choice first and foremost?
I’ve never understood the concept of a “miss”. Say player “X” announces a top 5 that includes Miami. Player “X” chooses 1 of his top 5 that isn’t Miami. Did the other 3 “miss” as well? Did the other 3 not go all out to “get” player “X”?

There’s a plethora of reasons a kid doesn’t choose Miami none of which include an all out effort by Mario and his staff to convince a kid Miami is where he should be. Often times, a kid just decides he’d rather go somewhere else.

Nope none of that. We got Russell, that’s fine if they’re hitting on some of their top targets. If they miss on those then it’s all no bueno.

The top targets at DT are the guys coming on OV’s in June. I’ve named them in multiple threads - Scott, Stone, Franklin, Artavious Jones, Breland, McCray - those guys and a few others.

Get 2.
Okay but that doesn't answer the question of what makes them a whiff or not. Are we supposed to get them just because they come visit? Is it just because they are our top targets WE SHOULD get them? Again how do you do tate a miss by the staff opposed to someone who just chooses to go elsewhere? Or are both on the staff? Simply get two of them here or we're not doing our jobs.

There’s known top players each year and offer lists, particularly commitable offers, say a lot. In the context of what I’m talking about, if we miss/whiff on all the DTs I named, all of whom are widely considered pretty **** good based on offers - all of whom we’ve been targeting - then I don’t want to hear the capping bull**** about hidden gems and trust the staff and evaluations.

They have to close on some of these guys. And I believe they will. They did it last year with Mauigoa and Samson. Now it’s the DTs. But if they miss on them and get what’s left, most of us don’t want to hear about the issues with rankings and why the guys we got are all underrated. They’re not the top targets. There’s no issues for us here with the top guys we’re after with June OV’s at DT.
Well reason I asked that is I'm pretty sure **** near all of the dudes we EVER take are widely recruited by most schools. We don't go after just anyone. Even the undervalued (by u guys)kids have alot of offers for the most part which pretty much shows what most of the country thinks about them. When y'all say yet some people say recruit rankings don't matter and then seem to scoff at it in my eyes what's being said is these dudes don't cut it and we need highly rated guys or it's simply a failure. Coaching is what dictates a failure or not. Talent most certainly helps. But it's on coaching to develop kids and get the most out of them. There's teams that are nothing but overachieving kids with exceptional coaching yearly who illustrate exactly that. **** we've lost to teams just like that year after year after year since 2005. The acc has been led by teams just like that for quite awhile. The va techs,the dukes, the Virginia's etc. Only teams who normally recruit at a high level is fspoo,Clemson,Carolina & us. & Fspoo is probably at the bottom of those 4. Look at the Illinois team nephew was just on. Being real for the last few seasons they would've mollywhopped us and they recruit like ****. Development is where we need to excel. We can't keep just saying oh another bad evals after kid after kid fails to live up to there hype here. That's what really dictates where recruits end up going. Money & coaching\development is what kids wanna see.

Well reason I asked that is I'm pretty sure **** near all of the dudes we EVER take are widely recruited by most schools. We don't go after just anyone. Even the undervalued (by u guys)kids have alot of offers for the most part which pretty much shows what most of the country thinks about them. When y'all say yet some people say recruit rankings don't matter and then seem to scoff at it in my eyes what's being said is these dudes don't cut it and we need highly rated guys or it's simply a failure. Coaching is what dictates a failure or not. Talent most certainly helps. But it's on coaching to develop kids and get the most out of them. There's teams that are nothing but overachieving kids with exceptional coaching yearly who illustrate exactly that. **** we've lost to teams just like that year after year after year since 2005. The acc has been led by teams just like that for quite awhile. The va techs,the dukes, the Virginia's etc. Only teams who normally recruit at a high level is fspoo,Clemson,Carolina & us. & Fspoo is probably at the bottom of those 4. Look at the Illinois team nephew was just on. Being real for the last few seasons they would've mollywhopped us and they recruit like ****. Development is where we need to excel. We can't keep just saying oh another bad evals after kid after kid fails to live up to there hype here. That's what really dictates where recruits end up going. Money & coaching\development is what kids wanna see.
Development is the Key factor when all is said and done.

Advertisement
That’s where it gets tough… if you go just on individuals it can have too many different reasons for not landing him and isn’t clear cut.

I’d rather stick to just position groups as a whole and at signing day you failed to bring in blue chip quality kids I’d consider that a whiff… like last year at WR and DT in my eyes were “whiffs” by the staff. Which then leads you to the portal hoping and overpaying you go for some kids to fall in your lap…
But what makes it a whiff if kids simply elected to go elsewhere? Is the bar simply set at we need to bring in difference makers PERIOD at these positions SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY'RE POSITIONS OF NEED? This making it irrelevant WHO we get in particular? Simply bring in some difference makers & that's that? Because if that's the case then why is ray ray and Robbie not valid to where it's not a whiff? Both were all Americans. Both are without question difference makers. It's just simply not enough cause y'all think we should've prioritized hykeem and the other jit more? Like we didn't try everything we could? I'm just being difficult. I get what you're saying but I think it's just naive for people to always assume we should get such and such to sign here because we think they have legit interest and apparently we just deserve them...

So when there is actually a quiet recruitment, people need to invent fictitious problems and claim "the juice isn't worth the squeeze"? We have some true conspiracy nuts on this website. Grow up and stop looking for monsters under your bed.
I remember my first beer.
If they’re at that point it’s because he’s not interested.
Never alluded otherwise (at least didn’t intend to). If a kid point blank doesn’t have interest, you turn the page.. especially if you have higher guys on board.

I understand the dynamics.

On the DT side if staff lands 2-3 of their legit too targets of…

David Stone
Justin Scott
KamarionFranklin
Artavious Jones
Dylan Williams
Ayden Breland
LJ McRae

… then there’s no argument about the hidden, underrated gems they take behind that.

It’s really simple. If they don’t land 2-3 of those guys and people try to brush over it and worse on here about recruiting nerds don’t know and kalijah Kancey was a 3 star and what ****** fans we are, I’m just sending them to purgatory for deceitful behavior unbecoming of a forked tongue serpent.
ezgif-1-38ce27012a.gif

I’ve been saying this exact same thing for years and getting killed for it. Cis is really bizzaro world man lol

Advertisement
So what dictates someone being a whiff and someone just going elsewhere? Assuming quite easily that there's VERY few people on here who really know which way a kid is leaning and what's genuine and what isn't. If Capers goes elsewhere is that a whiff because he's a highly ranked Columbus kid? Is mcgahee going elsewhere a whiff? Seriously. What let's people know who's a miss by the staff and who isn't? Is it hey this kid is from the south. So we should have our choice first and foremost?

Andrew Ivins, of course!

But what makes it a whiff if kids simply elected to go elsewhere? Is the bar simply set at we need to bring in difference makers PERIOD at these positions SIMPLY BECAUSE THEY'RE POSITIONS OF NEED? This making it irrelevant WHO we get in particular? Simply bring in some difference makers & that's that? Because if that's the case then why is ray ray and Robbie not valid to where it's not a whiff? Both were all Americans. Both are without question difference makers. It's just simply not enough cause y'all think we should've prioritized hykeem and the other jit more? Like we didn't try everything we could? I'm just being difficult. I get what you're saying but I think it's just naive for people to always assume we should get such and such to sign here because we think they have legit interest and apparently we just deserve them...
Folks having undying need to place blame somewhere when they have little knowledge of the backstory of the situation.

@Brooklyndee if I had to guess some of the schools that recruited you didn’t “whiff”. Someone else probably recruited you very well and you thought highly of other places at a that time in your life but chose UM for one reason or another… thanks btw.

I know I have heard a few highly recruited guys say they were very close to picking another school than they went to. And then not choosing a school had nothing to do with a lack of effort by a coaching staff

I’ve been saying this exact same thing for years and getting killed for it. Cis is really bizzaro world man lol
You gotta realize most guys on here are simply fans. Most are more than casual but their knowledge of the game is somewhat basic. People don't realize MOST kids that are recruited especially by bad staffs are mainly system fits. That's ALL Manny recruited. So what happens when a system is changing year after year. There's constant turnover in staff and players. You prioritize the portal? Well what happens is you neglect the development of the kids you recruit from high school to come here. Fact is it's a very different mental approach to be a high school child being recruited heavily and have multiple options opposed to a portal kid who's been exposed to what coaching is at this level. Exposed to what the majority of staffs do all around the nation. Plenty of staffs tear high school kids down to build them up in the image you want. It's a **** system but it's done by a wide percentage of them. Portal dudes come here for business and have promises made to them. It's stops the growth of numerous kids. Now the cycle starts again. That's why the people with a clue have been saying we want athletes, we want FOOTBALL players. I don't give a **** about 7 on 7. I want people that excell at football on my team and leaders. That's how you develope a standard. If we keep the same blueprint that's failed for **** near 20 years in place than why should we ever expect change. Continuity and comraderie that's what I'll take. To this day I still wake up and say let me check on some of my brothers. That's college that's NFL that's high school etc. When you develope that trust and those bonds in each other you excel. When coaches comprehend what it takes to really communicate with dudes they don't relate outside of football with well get ahead. I see plenty of that now. Team seems far closer together than I've seen in awhile. Leadership is starting to come into play and that's where we'll see accountability. Not just talk. I know. I went on a rant again. **** it.

Okay but that doesn't answer the question of what makes them a whiff or not. Are we supposed to get them just because they come visit? Is it just because they are our top targets WE SHOULD get them? Again how do you do tate a miss by the staff opposed to someone who just chooses to go elsewhere? Or are both on the staff? Simply get two of them here or we're not doing our jobs.

Without knowing the staff's board, it is impossible to answer completely. But, personally, here's how I look at it...

There are no such things as layups in recruiting. So I start with the proposition that any kid we land that was recruited by other P5 schools (even if he seems like an obvious Cane who bleeds orange and green that any bum corch could land) is a recruiting win.

There are some kids that will never come to UM. They aren't always easy to spot at first, but those kids typically don't visit. I don't consider them misses.

There are some kids who have their heart set on a particular school, and when/if that school offers they will bolt to said school. I don't consider them misses.

Any kid who has demonstrated some legitimate degree of interest by visiting our campus and spending time with our coaches, that our coaches bring in for an OV, and who isn't just waiting for his preferred offer, might be a miss if he goes elsewhere. I say might because 99.999% of us don't know the board, and it is possible the staff has someone rated higher at the position. So sometimes a "pass" can look like a miss (see Kirkland vs. Kinsler last cycle). Of course, that assumes they get someone they are prioritizing at the position. If you have kids going elsewhere and then late visits to more questionable takes, that's usually good evidence the staff missed earlier in the cycle.

Advertisement
I’ve never understood the concept of a “miss”. Say player “X” announces a top 5 that includes Miami. Player “X” chooses 1 of his top 5 that isn’t Miami. Did the other 3 “miss” as well? Did the other 3 not go all out to “get” player “X”?

There’s a plethora of reasons a kid doesn’t choose Miami none of which include an all out effort by Mario and his staff to convince a kid Miami is where he should be. Often times, a kid just decides he’d rather go somewhere else.
IMG_0414.gif

Advertisement
It’s a bottom line business. There’s no asterisk for why when we’re lining up on game day.

We have a list of players we’re targeting. Land 2 of the best ones and then no one should care about the developmental guys behind them.

Fail to land any of the top guys then we get who we get but be honest about it (not you lol) - don’t rip the rankings as corrupt and say trust the staff to cover for what happened. That’s not being honest about it.

“If this were solely up to Trader it would be an Ohio St/Florida St battle. But some close to Trader are pushing Miami hard so the Hurricanes are definitely a contender here as well” — Adam Gorney
It’s not officially summer until national journalist start with the excuses.

“He would go to ____ if not for his mom wanting him home”

“He likes _____ more but the money is too much to turn down”

“He almost committed to ______ but they didn’t have a Chick-Fil-A on campus, so he’s staying in Miami”

Like clockwork.

Reactions: Dre
I'll just say this. I think the order of events is important.

We are currently taking some 3-star guys, yes, but while we still feel VERY good about some blue-chip guys who are coming in for OVs.

I feel like PAST 3-star takes WERE "covers" because we took them after knowing all the blue-chippers were gone.

I think Mario is comfortable taking some of these 3 stars BECAUSE he knows the blue-chippers are on the way. I feel like if the staff felt there was doubt on that, they would not be so quick to take the 3s.

Just my 2 cents on the strategery, as I see it.
Good point

“Lower tier” guys can be Plan A guys

It’s what I was saying about Russell. Whether people liked the take, didn’t like the take etc wasn’t relevant to me. The timing of it all said to me (no sauces just logic hopefully) that he is part of the plan. In the past it’s like ok we missed on most of who we wanted, or we got them to commit before they should have, and then they bailed on us….so who’s left?

Not saying Mario doesn’t take Plan B guys or is infallible in recruiting, just saying I think in May this is the plan and once July is over we will see where we are at again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Advertisement
Back