2024 Transfer Portal

Seems like miami has so much trouble landing quality big men for some reason.
Not a big man friendly offense. Is what it is. A guy like JaVale McGhee (long, athletic & mobile) would be ideal. Don't need a guy who's looking to score 20+ per game. Just need a guy who's solid in the pick n' roll, can rebound and alter shots, who's content with getting his points off the muscle.

Advertisement
What makes you think there is NIL money for the taking; the football retention situation should be proof of continuing issues. Ever since Ruiz downsized the basketball pot, there hasn't been a lot to compete with the big-pocketed schools as most of our invigorated financial support seems earmarked for infrastructure and staff. There were numerous top names in the portal looking for greener pastures (and I mean GREEN) which being a Final-4 team would theoretically see some worthy signings (beyond Cleveland.) Didn't happen and possibly less so now.
Don't think people realize the money being doled out on the hoops scene. It's been going on for years and now with the NIL it's on steroids.

Is there still a chance miami could add someone for this year or is it too late? Like someone we can add 2nd semester this year? Our bench is so underwelming, it will be tough for miami to make a deep run if they make the tourney. I really wish we could have kept wong for another year this year.

It is what it is. Doubtful, they add anyone considering they need the spot for the next year, recruiting all who have already signed.

Don't think people realize the money being doled out on the hoops scene. It's been going on for years and now with the NIL it's on steroids.
1703298009137.png

Advertisement
Far better ROI with basketball than football. You need to invest less simply because there are fewer guys needed to turn a program around. You could buy 4 elite guys in FB and still have 18 spots to fill. With hoops you may have just bought a ticket to the Final Four.

It’s disappointing that we only brought in one guy (Cleveland) from the portal this year. We clearly needed more help.
I guess its too late to bring in any for the 2nd semester for 2024 to play this year? We could use another guard or a big man.

Advertisement
Is there still a chance miami could add someone for this year or is it too late? Like someone we can add 2nd semester this year? Our bench is so underwelming, it will be tough for miami to make a deep run if they make the tourney. I really wish we could have kept wong for another year this year.
I do not think that our bench is worst than last year, its probably the same or better.

The only guy who we lost from the bench last year that really sort of mattered was Harlond Beverley. I challenge that K George replaces him at almost an even level right now. The other bench guys(Favour Aire gone) are all the same players but with a year of experience under them now.

We also have a big man that is developing slowly..

This team hasn't figured out its identity without Wong and Miller yet.

I do not think that our bench is worst than last year, its probably the same or better.

The only guy who we lost from the bench last year that really sort of mattered was Harlond Beverley. I challenge that K George replaces him at almost an even level right now. The other bench guys(Favour Aire gone) are all the same players but with a year of experience under them now.

At this point in the season, we definitely lack the on-court leadership that those two very good/experienced players provided.

At this point in the season, we definitely lack the on-court leadership that those two very good/experienced players provided.
I took Wong for granted but he was sort of the top dog here for the last 2 years so he had time to figure it out.

Wooga has more talent than Wong but he hasn't yet taken over an important game. He'll get some chances before the year is out to grow in the leaership department.

I took Wong for granted but he was sort of the top dog here for the last 2 years so he had time to figure it out.

Wooga has more talent than Wong but he hasn't yet taken over an important game. He'll get some chances before the year is out to grow in the leaership department.
Someone needs to lead. And it's not always the most talented player.

Often the guy you want to go to with the game on the line and the clock winding to zero. I can't automatically say that's Wooga this year (as I could say it was Wong last season).

Advertisement
Yup, too late. Disappointing that we couldn’t do more in the portal after the final 4 run.
Miami was returning a lot and L believed in the top end guys he already had. There are few and I mean few guys that were willing to come in from the portal and be AT BEST the third guy offensively. Cleveland was one of the few legit players in the portal who could realistically look at the Miami rotation and say "Hey, I can bring something to the roster they don't already have" and it's not an accident that he's had a **** good year so far. Maybe Miami could have found a defensive minded big to take some stress off of Omier, but let's be honest, those guys are extremely rare.

Wong and Miller were two guys that did a lot, and while Cleveland and Wooga can match their productivity on the stat sheet, there were a lot of other things that will be tougher to replace. Miller and Wong were solid defensively and their experience allowed them to never lose their cool. It's a big step up from being the 4th scorer who wasn't expected to carry the day, to being THE MAN. Wooga is growing into that role and our fans need to give him the time needed to adjust. As you've said, this bench is at worst the same as last years and honestly, it may be better because of the growth of Watson and the flashes we've seen from Nwoko, even though consistency is a rumor with him.

Advertisement
Wong and Miller were two guys that did a lot, and while Cleveland and Wooga can match their productivity on the stat sheet, there were a lot of other things that will be tougher to replace. Miller and Wong were solid defensively and their experience allowed them to never lose their cool. It's a big step up from being the 4th scorer who wasn't expected to carry the day, to being THE MAN. Wooga is growing into that role and our fans need to give him the time needed to adjust. As you've said, this bench is at worst the same as last years and honestly, it may be better because of the growth of Watson and the flashes we've seen from Nwoko, even though consistency is a rumor with him.
100% Once this team figures out how it wants to play big games and how to win then the overall talent should shine again. Our starters are very good on paper.

Christian Watson hasn't made as big a jump in year 2 as say B joseph or Wooga but he's looking far more comfortable out there and he's 6'7 with handle. Short as it is, between him and George and Casey we've got a playable bench this year that shoud be able to contribute something offensively.

Last edited:
100% Once this team figures out how it wants to play big games and how to win then the overall talent should shine again. Our starters are very good on paper.

Christian Watson hasn't made as big a jump in year 2 as say B joseph or Wooga but he's looking far more comfortable out there and he's 6'7 with handle. Short as it is, between him and George and Casey we've got a playable bench this year that shoud be able to contribute something offensively.
There is hope, but besides lack of height and lateral quickness for many, we seem selfish and lazy on defense and rebounds. Too many heroes and too much dribbling/driving on offense contrasts with (Wong&Miller) play-making and teamwork. There IS a reason we are almost 70th in NET, not ranked in polls, and few expect us to be better than a 9-seed. Even so, we could gel and make a run if we again play top-gun come March, even from the 9-spot. But Coach L has some hard challenges ahead with this bunch (and bench.)

There is hope, but besides lack of height and lateral quickness for many, we seem selfish and lazy on defense and rebounds. Too many heroes and too much dribbling/driving on offense contrasts with (Wong&Miller) play-making and teamwork. There IS a reason we are almost 70th in NET, not ranked in polls, and few expect us to be better than a 9-seed. Even so, we could gel and make a run if we again play top-gun come March, even from the 9-spot. But Coach L has some hard challenges ahead with this bunch (and bench.)
I think that a core key for us is going to be Norchad Omier. He fouled out against kentucky and Colorado and we got steam rolled. But when he was in those games, we were in those game. He is 1 of our big 2 this year and may be the most important.

There is still enough time for this team to get to get to an elite level of play. The clemson game will say a lot.

Advertisement
Back