2024 Transfer Portal

Advertisement
Arkansas reaching out lol. At this point, why would a HS recruit bother with them? They’re literally trying to bring in a new team from the portal.

Advertisement
Arkansas reaching out lol. At this point, why would a HS recruit bother with them? They’re literally trying to bring in a new team from the portal.
AD2A380C-C133-4B43-A678-D86E34FC5145.jpeg

Mussleman trying to buy a Chip lol

Advertisement

Fully agree with Kentucky in this situation.

Kentucky is one of the premier recruiting destinations for big time players, they’re literally giving up a spot that could go to a 5-star FR in order to possibly bring in ****inson, I wouldn’t guarantee him anything either if I were Calipari.

Kentucky players are by far the most successful at getting big contracts in the league, that’s literally the primary pillar of the recruiting pitch at Kentucky, you don’t go there to win Natty’s, you go there to make it to the NBA & get to that 2nd contract.

IMO he’d actually be a better fit at Maryland.

It’s been reported that Hunter ****inson is being offered 2 million by Maryland for 1 year with an option for a 2nd. And Kansas is 2 million for 2 years

Kansas has a 13 million dollar NIL budget.

We’re not poor, but basketball doesn’t have access to that kind of $$ here at Miami.

Such a disgrace how the sports media ran with Miami “buying” their team. Our NIL deals paled in comparison with most of the blue bloods last year.

I like Grant Nelson. He has a pro game and those numbers (17 pts and 9 reb) along with his skill set says turn pro.
He is a lot like Fardaws Aimaq last season.
Aimaq averaged 18 pts and 13 rbs per game at Utah Valley St two years ago and transferred to Texas Tech last season. Fardaws got injured and only played 11 games averaging 11 pts and 8 rbs per game. He is now transferring to Cal to play next season for Mark Madsen. His coach at Utah Valley St two years ago.
Moral of the story is that transferring up does not help as much as people think.
Nelson like Fardaws is probably a 2nd round pick. Turning pro makes more sense for Nelson than taking the risk that Fardaws did.
Let's be honest, those numbers are impressive regardless of the school.

Seems to be the Wild wild NIL west out there still. I guess no difference than bag days except you have to pay taxes on what you get, since cant hide it.

1683166978483.png

Thinking abt how hiring an agent can affect "testing NBA draft then return" matters. As per above, let's say Player X wants to test Miami transfer opportunity. As we stick to the rules more than most (forget Ruiz last year, thats under the bridge) you ("U") can't guarantee collective (or LW) will make the promised remuneration. (even if Miami set up the collective... oh the court cases I see lurking.)

So the kid contacts whom? If it's before he enters the portal its tampering to talk with Coach L and staff. So he phones Ruiz for "guidance". Cant mention enrol-for-pay. If he enters portal because he likes what he hears, he can discuss role and PT and stuff with staff but not the compen$ation or guarantee$. Maybe no agent, maybe no lawyer, so he (and Mom) has to put his faith in a Booster's "contract"... with exclusions, incentives, buybacks, payment guarantees, etc. WHAT A "bag" of WORMS!

P.S. Thankfully, Pack trusted LW last year. So all went well (I think). This time around the New Pack (or Omier or Wong) may not be so trusting for a variety of reasons.

Last edited:
Advertisement
Not saying you are wrong (abt Kansas) but I heard the top programs basketball NIL budget was average 2.4 million. And then there's this from April 2023 to put in more perspective.

View attachment 237293

And then you hear that ****inson is being offered 2 mil/yr by multiple programs.

Not saying that Kansas is spending 13mm this year, but that’s what I’ve heard from the most reliable of sources is their available NIL budget for basketball.

Advertisement
Seems to be the Wild wild NIL west out there still. I guess no difference than bag days except you have to pay taxes on what you get, since cant hide it.

View attachment 237290

Thinking abt how hiring an agent can affect "testing NBA draft then return" matters. As per above, let's say Player X wants to test Miami transfer opportunity. As we stick to the rules more than most (forget Ruiz last year, thats under the bridge) you ("U") can't guarantee collective (or LW) will make the promised remuneration. (even if Miami set up the collective... oh the court cases I see lurking.)

So the kid contacts whom? If it's before he enters the portal its tampering to talk with Coach L and staff. So he phones Ruiz for "guidance". Cant mention enrol-for-pay. If he enters portal because he likes what he hears, he can discuss role and PT and stuff with staff but not the compen$ation or guarantee$. Maybe no agent, maybe no lawyer, so he (and Mom) has to put his faith in a Booster's "contract"... with exclusions, incentives, buybacks, payment guarantees, etc. WHAT A "bag" of WORMS!

P.S. Thankfully, Pack trusted LW last year. So all went well (I think). This time around the New Pack (or Omier or Wong) may not be so trusting for a variety of reasons.
Wish I could recall where i read that a "study" showed that only about 25% of kids with NIL earnings that required filing of an IRS tax form did so. When the IRS comes for back taxes down the road ... could be an ugly look.

Advertisement
Back