2024 Transfer Portal

Advertisement
There doesn't seem to have been a lot of "buzz" - or well-known hunger, for this guy in recent weeks. (Givony seems to be more the exception than the rule.) Sure, Baylor seems to have made the effort, but that's all I've seen in the reporting. Under the radar to me means not widely reported, subject to fans saying please please would be great ...in every other forum post, etc; and not just by casual fans.

As I've said before I hope I'm wrong on a lot of things, and on him too if he is more of a sure-bet starter-star, or even highly likely, than I was led to believe. And keep em coming!

First, I’m not saying he’s gonna walk in to a starting role. Though I think he has a good chance to be part of the rotation.

Second, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Miami signee get a lot of “buzz” after signing with Miami.

All Pack’s hype was before he signed and then the size of his NIL deal. Omier got very little hype outside of this board. Even Lonnie and Bruce were not really part of the national conversation after signing with Miami.

Finally… still lots of very good players in the portal.

Remember we were unranked to start the year this year… nobody thought too much of the “talent” on this year’s team outside of this board and Jon Rothstein.

First, I’m not saying he’s gonna walk in to a starting role. Though I think he has a good chance to be part of the rotation.

Second, I don’t think I’ve ever seen a Miami signee get a lot of “buzz” after signing with Miami.

All Pack’s hype was before he signed and then the size of his NIL deal. Omier got very little hype outside of this board. Even Lonnie and Bruce were not really part of the national conversation after signing with Miami.

Finally… still lots of very good players in the portal.

Remember we were unranked to start the year this year… nobody thought too much of the “talent” on this year’s team outside of this board and Jon Rothstein.
i meant buzz "before" he signed, but anyway, all good points. Hope things come to fruition again.

Beverly goes to Wichita State.
Walker goes to Indiana.
Jovanovich goes to Louisville.
Aire is TBD. Still up in the Aire (No pun intended).
Robinson is still a Cane.

It's interesting how 75% of the "dead weight" has found new places to play basketball while we are still waiting to see who will join the team.

The interesting part is that the best transfers are gone as the big wave of transfers is done for now.

30 days after the Final 4 was definitely the window of opportunity to use the momentum from the tournament to improve the roster for next season.

The next big transfer wave will be in May after the NBA draft early entry deadline.

I believe Miami gets a couple of transfers but how much of an impact can we really expect from them.

Replacing the ACC Player of the Year along with another All ACC performer is not easy for any program.

So it's Pack, Joseph, Poplar, Robinson, Watson, Casey, Nwoko, George and maybe Omier.

The alleged "dead weight" is taking a lot of experience with them plus Coach L does well with 4 or more seniors on the roster. That is part of his formula of success. Definitely would have helped in trying to make 3 consecutive NCAA Tournaments.

Omier is interesting because he could get an invite to the NBA combine. Sure, his offensive skills need to improve but he rebounds and defends at an NBA level. He would have to find a team where doesn't have to shot to be successful. The only place a 6'7 250 lbs PF can be successful in the NBA is GSW or PHX. That would not happen would it. James Jones is the GM in PHX and with Durant, Booker, Paul and Ayton, shots aren't available. That's too much of a conspiracy theory.

It's still early, sort of but you have to admit, 30 days ago, you thought as I did that the Mens team would have 4 transfers added to the roster but it was the women's team who actually got it done.

Maybe that extra week head start helped out Coach Meier.

Walker goes to Indiana.

It's interesting how 75% of the "dead weight" has found new places to play basketball while we are still waiting to see who will join the team.

The interesting part is that the best transfers are gone as the big wave of transfers is done for now.

30 days after the Final 4 was definitely the window of opportunity to use the momentum from the tournament to improve the roster for next season.

The next big transfer wave will be in May after the NBA draft early entry deadline.

I believe Miami gets a couple of transfers but how much of an impact can we really expect from them.

Replacing the ACC Player of the Year along with another All ACC performer is not easy for any program.

So it's Pack, Joseph, Poplar, Robinson, Watson, Casey, Nwoko, George and maybe Omier.

The alleged "dead weight" is taking a lot of experience with them plus Coach L does well with 4 or more seniors on the roster. That is part of his formula of success. Definitely would have helped in trying to make 3 consecutive NCAA Tournaments.

Omier is interesting because he could get an invite to the NBA combine. Sure, his offensive skills need to improve but he rebounds and defends at an NBA level. He would have to find a team where doesn't have to shot to be successful. The only place a 6'7 250 lbs PF can be successful in the NBA is GSW or PHX. That would not happen would it. James Jones is the GM in PHX and with Durant, Booker, Paul and Ayton, shots aren't available. That's too much of a conspiracy theory.

It's still early, sort of but you have to admit, 30 days ago, you thought as I did that the Mens team would have 4 transfers added to the roster but it was the women's team who actually got it done.

Miami Heat as well. We are playing like a 6'8-6'9 center in Bam. Pat Riley loves PF like Omier.

Advertisement
Walker goes to Indiana.

You can deny that you're being a mope, and that you're just expressing unbiased opinions. I'm fine with that, I won't argue it.

But you were the eternal optimist. Go back a few pages on this board, when we were awful. You posted all of the time, putting a positive spin on everything (while not denying our awfulness).

Something changed. Can you at least admit that much? I'm not asking you to admit that you became a mope. I'm just asking that you admit that you were previously a very hopeful fan, during a lousy era of Canes hoops, and that you're not that any more.

Do you agree?

Walker goes to Indiana.

Aww the portal additions aren’t happening quick enough for your liking so that means we are gunna be bad this year…

No one thinks improving from last year is going to be easy. No one thinks just replacing Wong and Miller is going to be easy. But this post is just dumb. Imagine using Walker transferring to Indiana as a justification for being a mope after the season we just had.

Just be a fan and Root for us to get our top portal targets. Simple. What’s the point of just complaining after a final 4 run?

Advertisement
Walker goes to Indiana.

Bev wasn’t happy here (especially at the end) and I’d surmise was gone either way.

Ant was Ant. He was a clubhouse guy and mentor. Think Udonis Haslem minus the basketball acumen. I’d argue him returning would take minutes away from guys like Casey and even Watson and Jakai depending on the lineup.

Aire was underwhelming. He’d just foul away on the court. Looked like a project at best and perennial Rodney Miller roster spot eater at worst.

That leaves Danilo, the only player that had both a shot at returning and being actually valuable.

We’re at 9 scholarships next year (assuming the likely return of Omier plus George). Add only 1 (plus walk ons for practice depth) and we have a competitive roster where guys like Jakai and Casey aren’t transferring out because of lack of playing time.

Last edited:
Aww the portal additions aren’t happening quick enough for your liking so that means we are gunna be bad this year…

No one thinks improving from last year is going to be easy. No one thinks just replacing Wong and Miller is going to be easy. But this post is just dumb. Imagine using Walker transferring to Indiana as a justification for being a mope after the season we just had.

Just be a fan and Root for us to get our top portal targets. Simple. What’s the point of just complaining after a final 4 run?
Who said that?

Advertisement
Bev wasn’t happy here (especially at the end) and I’d surmise was gone either way.

Ant was Ant. He was a clubhouse guy and mentor. Think Udonis Haslem minus the basketball acumen. I’d argue him returning would take minutes away from guys like Casey and even Watson and Jakai depending on the lineup.

Aire was underwhelming. He’d just foul away on the court. Looked like a project at best and perennial Rodney Miller roster spot eater at worst.

That leaves Danilo, the only player that had both a shot at returning and being actually valuable.

We’re at 9 scholarships next year (assuming the likely return of Omier plus George). Add only 1 (plus walk ons for practice depth) and we have a competitive roster where guys like Jakai and Casey aren’t transferring out because of lack of playing time.
At this point, a nice core returning and the Watson/Casey/Jakai contingent needs to be given their shot. You'd think Coach would have a good "read" on those three from last season's practices.

If Pack and/or Omier go pro, that's the time for serious worry. If Omier were to leave with no immediate quality replacement to plug in, we'd be looking at bottom third of the ACC.

Wonder whose minutes Bev thought he shoulda had? Some of Joseph's I guess? Both were up and down in the ACC portion of the schedule.

Last edited:
At this point, a nice core returning and the Watson/Casey/Jakai contingent needs to be given their shot. You'd think Coach would have a goiod "read" on those three from last season's practices.

If Pack and/or Omier go pro, that's the time for serious worry. If Omier were to leave with no immediate quality replacement to plug in, we'd be looking at bottom third of the ACC.

Wonder whose minutes Bev thought he shoulda had? Some of Joseph's I guess? Both were up and down in the ACC portion of the schedule.
That is my biggest worry right now - if Omier goes pro. I don't think Pack has any shot at the NBA right now, so I'm not too concerned about him leaving (plus he has the sweet NIL deal).

Omier, on the other hand, is not eligible for NIL. And despite his lack of height, could prove himself to be an intriguing prospect as an undersized 4 man who can rebound with tenacity and score well inside. I still think it's a long shot, but stranger things have happened.

Advertisement
That is my biggest worry right now - if Omier goes pro. I don't think Pack has any shot at the NBA right now, so I'm not too concerned about him leaving (plus he has the sweet NIL deal).

Omier, on the other hand, is not eligible for NIL. And despite his lack of height, could prove himself to be an intriguing prospect as an undersized 4 man who can rebound with tenacity and score well inside. I still think it's a long shot, but stranger things have happened.
I think a team falls in love with him. There’s a role for a guy like him on certain organizations like some have mentioned in this thread.

At this point, a nice core returning and the Watson/Casey/Jakai contingent needs to be given their shot. You'd think Coach would have a good "read" on those three from last season's practices.

Omier will be back. I think he needed a year to adjust to the ACC.

With a more expanded role and a better idea on what he needs to improve on to get to the league, he'll be good for us next year and potentially become a draft pick. He has the physical tools to play at the next level. With a better jumpshot and footwork he could become a poor mans Larry Johnson come draft time next year.

I think a team falls in love with him. There’s a role for a guy like him on certain organizations like some have mentioned in this thread.

Don’t think that’s likely, but definitely possible. If that happens, we’re likely in a really tough spot.

Currently with Omier returning there’s not room on the team for a starting caliber back to the basket big… nobody good would sign here to sit behind Omier right now.

Unfortunately, there’s nothing to do but wait this one out and hope the law of averages works out for us.

Wonder if this means we are quietly in the mix for Dingle

The Herald ran a piece talking about him without directly saying we were interested. It was pretty strange, but I'm assuming they were trying to imply that we were interested without actually coming out and saying it. Not sure why they bother with the obfuscation though.

Advertisement
Back