2024 Transfer Portal

Reportedly, Pitino is already in strongly on Dingle for St. John's. A NYC (Bronx) kid returning home. We shall see.

Pitino is also in on McKenzie, five star out of Roselle Catholic that recently decommitted to Duke, and is OVing this weekend.

Rumblings of him popping to St. John's tomorrow. If that happens, there will be a domino effect.

Johnnies also in on a Miami kid, RJ Luis out of UMASS. Are the Canes kicking the tires on him?

Advertisement
Arguably the biggest @$$hole in the entire basketball coaching fraternity. That's college or pros. However, one of the great minds in the coaching world as well. It's wild some of the stories I've heard from former players and assistants. Dude seems to be a complete douchebag.

St. John's version of ***.

Yeah, Urban is a complete piece of ****, but he'd be welcomed here by the fanbase in a heartbeat. Know why? He wins and his track record is undeniable.

SJU wants to win, has the coach, and $ backing in place.

Advertisement
St. John's version of ***.

Yeah, Urban is a complete piece of ****, but he'd be welcomed here by the fanbase in a heartbeat. Know why? He wins and his track record is undeniable.

SJU wants to win, has the coach, and $ backing in place.
I hope my previous comment didn't come across as someone undervaluing his coaching acumen. The guy eats, sleeps and breathes basketball. IMHO still one of the top coaches in the game, but that doesn't take away from the jackass he seems to be as an individual. Great coach. Just not a very nice person.

I hope my previous comment didn't come across as someone undervaluing his coaching acumen. The guy eats, sleeps and breathes basketball. IMHO still one of the top coaches in the game, but that doesn't take away from the jackass he seems to be as an individual. Great coach. Just not a very nice person.

Nah, not at all. I always thought he was arrogant, but it's obvious why. The man is a savant. You'd be extremely hard pressed to find a coach with his acumen and production - even at his age.

Advertisement

RJ Sunahara 6’8 210 PF

- 2023 SSC Player of the Year
- NABC D2 Player of the Year
- 2x First-Team All-SSC
- All-time leader in Blocks for Nova Southeastern
- All-time leader in Free Throws made
- 2nd All-time in Points
- 6th All-time in Rebounds

Shot 40% from 3 with 84 assists, 57 steals & 54 blocks.

Can shoot & score from all 3 levels on the court, rebound, Block & Defend gives great effort & plays in the same Offense as us. Would fill the Stretch 4 role perfectly.

Hope we take a shot here.

Advertisement

RJ Sunahara 6’8 210 PF

- 2x First-Team All-SSC
- 2nd All-time in Points

Can shoot & score from all 3 levels on the court, rebound, Block & Defend gives great effort & plays in the same Offense as us. Would fill the Stretch 4 role perfectly.

I like!!!!

RJ Sunahara 6’8 210 PF

- 2x First-Team All-SSC
- 2nd All-time in Points

DJ Irving followed on Instagram so there has been some contact

Advertisement
Seems May 11 is the deadline to enter basketball portal, so it's getting to the proverbial crunchtime. I've tried to diminish posts called moping by some, but some thought and study suggests a less than grand outcome for what many felt our Final 4, legendary Coach and weather might have resulted in when we first saw all the "exits".

I've listed some aspects that seem as much fact-based as speculative. I'd love to maturely debate them and hope I'm wrong on most if not all. If you just wanna do the personal insult, ridicule, downvote thing, have at it, but addressing just the substance would be oh so much nicer for most, I think.

1. All kudos for Ruiz/LW for what he did for our basketball prospects last year. Many were unhappy (not Canes fans) and have been out to get him, including some on NCAA panels. There is a fear of tampering (or being accused of breaking the fluid NIL rules) at various high levels I'm hearing, and that's going to impact who portals-to-Miami in at least one way. It's no secret many hot prospects directly or indirectly (NIL-agent?) try to contact a potential playing destination before entering the portal, largely to gauge the NIL-funds and playing opportunities available. Under the rules, that is awkward (and bag-like) to say the least, especially if Ruiz is our frontman or NIL-face. When basketball player "x' contacts whatever Miami connection they can find (cannot legit be coach or staff) before actually entering the portal, unlike Bama and Duke and USC embracing them (and with wide open wallets) our folks are likely to say "Call Ruiz" or "Enter the portal then we can talk". Just a guess, but even Ruiz might be saying exactly that. It was surely easier last year before rules were firmed up some.

2. We also have a reputation that doesn't currently bode well. Ruiz/LW woes is just part of it. While negative recruiting is always part of the anti-Miami game, this time out its especially so with the "Miami buying their team" in basketball. Pack getting 800,000 and Miami's recent reluctance to bid-battle may also be part. Coach L's adamant PT and roster management perspective might also have some small part.

3. Yes, we have a trove of wealthy boosters and donors that could fund UM endeavors besides Ruiz/LW. But many seem not to be too eager to get involved in the NIL mess (and maybe not with Ruiz personally - just my speculative guess). Especially after (UM) being embarrassed by ESPN, quite a few apparently threw in some really big bucks, but earmarked for the high-cost of coaching and staff and facilities and related matters like buyouts. I doubt anyone ear-marked "NIL", and I'm not even sure they could have, although I admit that might be changing over time as NIL and collective rules change.

4. Ruiz excepted, the vast majority of wealthy active boosters seem to have a proclivity for football (over basketball.) After all, despite our gleeful half-joking to the contrary, UM is after all a Football school. Whether Carol Soffer or whomever shares the same affection for basketball over football (or in some cases for competitive athletics at all,) is just a guess, but I would guess no. And while Ruiz could expense and otherwise mitigate some of the NIL funding via LW, not exactly true for Mrs. Soffer or the like... 5 million to UM for facilities surely has a more attractive financial and tax benefit than 5 million to "pay for play" (NIL.)

We also seem to have some restrained approaches to the NIL-bidding, maybe because of limited or restricted resources, or logistics, but the big Pack-like deals seem to be more than a thing in the past. Looking at Cormani and TVD and even keeping Wong, I think there is an undercurrent of conservatism which basically might mean that Coach L has to make due with what he has, might get under the radar or cheaply, or can develop. Sure, he can perform miracles we have just seen them, so no reason to mope or not be hopeful. And I welcome discussing where I'm likely wrong, as I would definitely like to be.

Last edited:
4. Ruiz excepted, the vast majority of wealthy active boosters seem to have a proclivity for football (over basketball.) After all, despite our gleeful half-joking to the contrary, UM is after all a Football school. Whether Carol Soffer or whomever shares the same affection for basketball over football (or in some cases for competitive athletics at all,) is just a guess, but I would guess no. And while Ruiz could expense and otherwise mitigate some of the NIL funding via LW, not exactly true for Mrs. Soffer or the like... 5 million to UM for facilities surely has a more attractive financial and tax benefit than 5 million to "pay for play" (NIL.)
Mas family and Fernandez are definitely active in basketball.

RJ Sunahara 6’8 210 PF

- 2x First-Team All-SSC
- 2nd All-time in Points

I feel like with Larranaga's close relationship with their head coach that if he's wanted by Coach L that he should be our's not to mention the close proximity.

Advertisement
Back