2024 Transfer Portal

As long as Omier is here we have to play small because he can't play any position at a high level except the 5. Too limited offensively to be a modern 4. Don't think we need to play big or even have a true center but we have to have some depth there to not run into another Kansas/UConn buzz saw and get exposed. Also allows Omier to play more free and not worry about fouling out and us having no one.

I do think Nwoko can contribute early, L typically thinks otherwise, but the most important thing IMO is AJ Casey improving. If he takes a Poplar type 2nd year jump - i see another deep run into the tournament assuming we're gonna add a piece or 2 from the portal.

A Sam Waardenburg type beside Omier would be perfect. Looks like they're pursuing that.
Casey needs to make a big jump going into year 2. I agree with you on Nwoko. Idk how many guys they plan on adding but I'd take Wong and Miller's replacements, and 2 big men.

Advertisement
Casey needs to make a big jump going into year 2. I agree with you on Nwoko. Idk how many guys they plan on adding but I'd take Wong and Miller's replacements, and 2 big men.
I'd take the Dayton kid, Northwestern kid, a 3 and D role player, and a shot creating guard to replace Wong. Haven't kept up with that market because I thought Wong would return.

That would give us a very deep team that we haven't had in a while.

I'd take the Dayton kid, Northwestern kid, a 3 and D role player, and a shot creating guard to replace Wong. Haven't kept up with that market because I thought Wong would return.

That would give us a very deep team that we haven't had in a while.
Yea I really thought Wong would come back too. Figured he would want another shot at making another run but that's alright.

He'll be our 1st or 2nd option next year. I think his offensive game is good enough to be a top 2 option on a tournament team, but not good enough to be a top 2 option on a final 4 team. But I think he is naturally skilled and will improve a lot this offseason.
Agree. I think Omier has a mid-ranger jumper and, as I said above, even has good form on his three. That said, he'll still probably be our 3rd scoring option at best and Coach will not want him straying too far from the rim.

Some of this depends of course on who we pick up as a complement to Norchad inside, or on Nwoko's readiness to help.

So far, they have only recruited 4s.
Until they start recruiting 5s, it will be small ball for another season.
Especially on the starting 5.
Don't disagree. Small ball, though, is spreading more every year. 5s are unwanted by the NBA, college coaches wanna play 4 out...

Are there any 5s out there in the Portal you'd like to see us get? The standard, I guess, would be they'd have to be better/more ready to contribute than Nwoko. If not, don't need a particuilarly good one. Serviceable would suffice.

Advertisement
Advertisement

This is the guy to me. Great rebounder. Looks to be a solid defender. Solid mid range game and a very good 3 point shooter. Torched Boston College for 34 and 14. I'm going to check out the BC and St John's later to get an overall feel to his game. But from the small amount of highlights and his number looks like he would be a great compliment and help to Omier inside with his athleticism, toughness and 3 point shooting.

Advertisement
Advertisement
Coach L has said since season he wanted and thought Omier had more offensive game he can develop over the offseason.
I agree. My point was his offensive game/scoring is fine as it is now; anything he can add, all the better.

Omier did average a double/double (13/10) this past year. And he did that where, in most games, he was smaller (almost always shorter) than the guy defending him. If I'm hoping for a leap in offense from a player, it's from Poplar (and a couple of last year's freshmen breaking out would be nice too).

Advertisement
Back