2024 Transfer Portal

Until Wong makes his decision, we’re not getting any starting Guards.
Good point, and u know I respect the F out of ya. As you may have seen (mostly) in the Beverly thread, I'm concerned the pay-for-play ( in whatever form NCAA let's you get away with as the rules are being fleshed out) is at least as important as PT. If not much more so. And even if there are other NIL-benefactors(boosters) that cut down nets and have a nice-sized checkbook, the scuttlebutt about LW/Ruiz seems troublesome. Even IF its much ado about (mostly) nothing, surely negative recruiters are gonna launch into negative pitches and I'm not too sure many portal guys won't be negatively influenced to choose elsewhere ...when we need a few, especially now with the 4 recent exits.

Advertisement
It’s still only been 2+ weeks, but bit of a disappointing start so far.

- 4 dudes have transferred out, including 2 freshmen with promise and a solid depth guard
- still no decision on Wong, and that seems to be hurting us with portal guards
- no incoming portal commits yet
- only 2 portal visits that we know of, and both are solid pieces but neither are “cream of the crop” portal players like a ****inson or an ellis

Still early, and I’m hopeful we’ll be in a different position a few weeks from now, but this slow start feels extra disappointing after our final 4 run. I thought we’d be one of the hottest destinations. You gotta capitalize while the iron is hot.

Advertisement
I don’t think for one second UM didn’t know his decision until now.
I am certain the university remained silent until he formally announced his intentions. Something transpired for him to announce today.

Regardless, I am also certain the interest in Miami is going to pick up big time for the 2 spot and we will get an excellent all-around player.

Advertisement
now that we know Wong is gone, we can move Pack to his natural 2 spot position he played at K-State and get a pass first PG that can better run the offense?

now that we know Wong is gone, we can move Pack to his natural 2 spot position he played at K-State and get a pass first PG that can better run the offense?
Not sure. Part of why Pack transferred to Miami was to become a PG. I saw some growth in that area as the season went on. He turned into more of a playmaker, but he's not all the way there yet.

With Wong's announcement, we are now up to 5 open scholarships:

Outgoing
Miller - graduated
Wong - NBA
Walker - transferred
Beverly - transferred
Danilo - transferred
Aire - transferred

It's hard not to be at least a little concerned about this. We've never taken more than 2 incoming transfers in a single class.

Outgoing
Miller - graduated
Wong - NBA
Walker - transferred
Beverly - transferred
Danilo - transferred
Aire - transferred

It's hard not to be at least a little concerned about this. We've never taken more than 2 incoming transfers in a single class.
Well yes when you lose the ACC player of the year, and one of the better all around players in the ACC in Miller, its going to be hard to be better.

You hope Pack gets little better.

You hope Omier develops more offensive game.

You hope Wooga takes the next step, and truly develops into a potential 1st round pick.

You hope Joseph takes another step.

You hope Carey and Watson take a Wooga and Joseph like 2nd year jump.

Then you hope and wish we grab 3 portal players, 2 stretch 4 types, and 1 scoring guard now. 2 of those 3 you want to be able to score in that 8-11 PPG range at least.

Advertisement
1-Pack, Joseph
2-Robinson
3-Watson, Poplar
4-Nwoko
5-Omier, Casey

I might have Nwoko and Casey flip flopped but this is our roster now.

Outgoing
Miller - graduated
Wong - NBA
Walker - transferred
Beverly - transferred
Danilo - transferred
Aire - transferred

If we got more than 2 transfers I’d be surprised. I think we will be solid next year… but unless L goes completely out of character and raids the portal for 3+ bodies I just don’t see the upside of next years team being any where close to where it’s been the last 2 years.

But then again L & staff have proven to be wizards over their tenure so we will see

Last edited:
Advertisement

Outgoing
Miller - graduated
Wong - NBA
Walker - transferred
Beverly - transferred
Danilo - transferred
Aire - transferred

No need to be concerned yet. With the new 60-day window the NCAA has implemented there's still a lot of time to add players. Last check, there were close to 1,500 student-athletes in the transfer portal with about 6 weeks left to make their decisions. I can't imagine Miami not having player options available with the great runs we've had the past 2 seasons and NIL packages Coach L has at his disposal.

Advertisement
Back