2024 Sophomore Jump

Advertisement
Advertisement
The Sophomore year is typically when the superstars of college football show themselves. Who do you think will take that big jump and become a star for Miami?

MY PICKS
OT Francis Mauigoa SO

DL Rueben Bain SO

RB Mark Fletcher SO

CB Damari Brown SO

DL Josh Horton RFR
I'm going with both coordinators. It's been a while since we've had the same system for 2 years in a row. Hopefully it translates to both sides improving execution

Advertisement
Oh Yeah Agree GIF by No Cheese Records

The thing with Bain is that he was such a finished product when he first showed up on campus. He was already technically advanced. He can probably get stronger and pick up a few tricks but he wasn't the usual raw freshman lineman last year. He had better hands than most of our DEs last year with almost zero college coaching.

Advertisement
Advertisement
So much talent. And best of all most of them truly have to fight for snaps, they're not being gifted spots for lack of other options.

I see only upside from the 4 returning starters out of that 2nd year group. Bain will benefit tremendously from the added DE depth, especially having Mesidor back, so I think he sees the biggest production increase. My one concern is that we will lack an interior push to flush the QB. We need another quality DT in the portal for all the pieces to fit together. The game will have slowed down for Damari and he'll be able to press more confidently as well as jump routes. SHould be fun to watch. Francis needs to focus on foot placement and bend so he can be better in pass pro. He's got the perfect coaches to work on that and become an All ACC OT next season. Fletcher wore down over the season, lost a step. Once he gets that back, he'll never be blazing, but he'll break those big runs we were lacking in 2023.

After them, my next group would be: Ray Ray, Wayne, Bobby and Samson. I expect all to at least rotate with the starters by mid-season. We're going to go 4 WRs on a lot of plays, and I expect Ray Ray to be that fourth guy. We have no experienced depth at LB and I expect Bobby as the most versatile of the next wave to be on the field a lot. Wayne is already in the rotation and Samson would have been if not for injury.

After them, I hope Chris Johnson, both Hortons, Popo, Stafford, Robbie, R WIlliams and Kinsler make their case. They're going to redshirt Emory, but I'd love to see him come back strong in the 4 games he's allowed to play.

So much talent. And best of all most of them truly have to fight for snaps, they're not being gifted spots for lack of other options.

I see only upside from the 4 returning starters out of that 2nd year group. Bain will benefit tremendously from the added DE depth, especially having Mesidor back, so I think he sees the biggest production increase. My one concern is that we will lack an interior push to flush the QB. We need another quality DT in the portal for all the pieces to fit together. The game will have slowed down for Damari and he'll be able to press more confidently as well as jump routes. SHould be fun to watch. Francis needs to focus on foot placement and bend so he can be better in pass pro. He's got the perfect coaches to work on that and become an All ACC OT next season. Fletcher wore down over the season, lost a step. Once he gets that back, he'll never be blazing, but he'll break those big runs we were lacking in 2023.

After them, my next group would be: Ray Ray, Wayne, Bobby and Samson. I expect all to at least rotate with the starters by mid-season. We're going to go 4 WRs on a lot of plays, and I expect Ray Ray to be that fourth guy. We have no experienced depth at LB and I expect Bobby as the most versatile of the next wave to be on the field a lot. Wayne is already in the rotation and Samson would have been if not for injury.

After them, I hope Chris Johnson, both Hortons, Popo, Stafford, Robbie, R WIlliams and Kinsler make their case. They're going to redshirt Emory, but I'd love to see him come back strong in the 4 games he's allowed to play.
He's tough as nails but that arm didn't look P5 caliber at all.

Advertisement
Back