2024 Recruiting

He didn’t say that. Or really anything close to that.

Also it’s clear that L is not prioritizing size just for the sake of size. Of course he wants size and length, but L is building a winning formula without traditional bigs because we haven’t been able to sign bigs who also have the athleticism and skill necessary to make the team better.

Now having said that - like everything else about Miami basketball, I think that is in the process of changing.
He was quoted as saying "I don't want a 7 foot oaf" even though he said he had never seen Emmanuel play. So he's inferring every 7 footer or close to 7 footer is immobile and lacks athleticism. Indeed it's an awful take. The only thing missing from last year's team was some size to counter UCONN. Wardenburg if he had one more year of eligibility may have completely changed that game which has already been discussed.

Advertisement
Didn't Omier turn out to be like 6'6-6'7 when the NBA measured him?
Exactly. I love Omier but another 6'10 athletic big like a Kadji, Collins, Huell, even a Jekiri paired with him or even off the bench to add another dynamic to this team would make this team that much more lethal. With the exception of Miller Coach L hasn't ever brought in plodding bigs.

Exactly. I love Omier, but another 6'10 athletic big like a Kadji, Collins, Huell, even a Jekiri paired with him or even off the bench to add another dynamic to this team would make this team that much more lethal. With the exception of Miller Coach L hasn't ever brought in plodding bigs.

What's more important, a plodding big or going to the final four or the elite eight?

In all seriousness, sometimes we have short memories, considering we just came off a final four-trip with Favour Aire and AJ Casey on the roster. Aire was 7ft and Casey is 6'9.

He was quoted as saying "I don't want a 7 foot oaf" even though he said he had never seen Emmanuel play. So he's inferring every 7 footer or close to 7 footer is immobile and lacks athleticism. Indeed it's an awful take. The only thing missing from last year's team was some size to counter UCONN. Wardenburg if he had one more year of eligibility may have completely changed that game which has already been discussed.

Coach L learned a lot from the Deng Gak experience.

Look it is incredibly hard to find, let alone sign, a 7 footer who fits the style of play that suits our existing roster and style of play. Aire was a 4* recruit and he couldn’t even work his way into the incredibly thin front court rotation last year. Maybe Emmanuel will be a superstar and is a huge miss. Odds are probably not though. No need to attack somebody for making a flip comment about a recruit who chose to go elsewhere.

Also, none of the guys you mentioned were 7’.

Advertisement
Exactly. I love Omier but another 6'10 athletic big like a Kadji, Collins, Huell, even a Jekiri paired with him or even off the bench to add another dynamic to this team would make this team that much more lethal. With the exception of Miller Coach L hasn't ever brought in plodding bigs.
Wow, didn’t realize my comment about Emmanuel would be taken so far, fellas.

Of course I’d love a fluid stretch 4 like Kadji or Waard but no one you mentioned was over 6’10 or anything like a traditional big/center. I would want Filipowski, I wouldnt want Derek Lively. Does that help?

I think Nwoko is the perfect model of big man that fits our scheme. He can run, he can block shots, he has a couple shots away from the basket, and he busts his a s s.

Uconn had greath length in the backcourt - That was a much bigger issue than the size diff down low. We battled Duke’s 2 7 footer’s with no problem and could have beaten them 3 times with a little luck.

Go canes

Advertisement

OH NO. The football program is a dumpster fire. Anyone see the way they lost tonight? Lol absolutely pathetic. Mario is a total moron. I'm glad the basketball program is competent and has an amazing coach at the helm because the football program is screwed. Basketball is number 1 for me and has been for like 15 yrs but what a joke the football program has turned into. They've had like 8 coaches the last 15 plus yrs and not one has been good lol. Hope this pathetic game tonight didn't cost the basketball team a recruit. Sheeeesh!

OH NO. The football program is a dumpster fire. Anyone see the way they lost tonight? Lol absolutely pathetic. Mario is a total moron. I'm glad the basketball program is competent and has an amazing coach at the helm because the football program is screwed. Basketball is number 1 for me and has been for like 15 yrs but what a joke the football program has turned into. They've had like 8 coaches the last 15 plus yrs and not one has been good lol. Hope this pathetic game tonight didn't cost the basketball team a recruit. Sheeeesh!
If our football team costed us a basketball recruit, I promise you that recruit was never coming. GO CANES!!

I dunno. Waardenberg was, despite his height and at his core, a perimeter player. He loved to bomb away with the three point shots, which he was good at making.

By the end of his time here, he got more physical but that's all relative. I think the UConn combo of Sanogo and Clingan would've kept him in check.

We needed another Omier type, more than what Sam brought to the table, to grind inside, defend/move bodies, and hit the boards.

Advertisement
I dunno. Waardenberg was, despite his height and at his core, a perimeter player. He loved to bomb away with the three point shots, which he was good at making.

By the end of his time here, he got more physical but that's all relative. I think the UConn combo of Sanogo and Clingan would've kept him in check.

We needed another Omier type, more than what Sam brought to the table, to grind inside, defend/move bodies, and hit the boards.
He was a good rim protector as well. He was a very good complementary piece.

Wow, didn’t realize my comment about Emmanuel would be taken so far, fellas.

Of course I’d love a fluid stretch 4 like Kadji or Waard but no one you mentioned was over 6’10 or anything like a traditional big/center. I would want Filipowski, I wouldnt want Derek Lively. Does that help?

I think Nwoko is the perfect model of big man that fits our scheme. He can run, he can block shots, he has a couple shots away from the basket, and he busts his a s s.

Uconn had greath length in the backcourt - That was a much bigger issue than the size diff down low. We battled Duke’s 2 7 footer’s with no problem and could have beaten them 3 times with a little luck.

Go canes
All good man. I'm just tired of people saying that they seemingly prefer a lack of size. I obviously don't want size just for the sake of size but I would like some athletic bigs here to make us more versatile. The last 2 recruiting classes has made us a bigger team this coming year and next year. Our backcourt is getting taller, we are getting bigger at the wing as well and I agree Nwoko is the type of player that makes us more versatile.

Advertisement
All good man. I'm just tired of people saying that they seemingly prefer a lack of size. I obviously don't want size just for the sake of size but I would like some athletic bigs here to make us more versatile. The last 2 recruiting classes has made us a bigger team this coming year and next year. Our backcourt is getting taller, we are getting bigger at the wing as well and I agree Nwoko is the type of player that makes us more versatile.
Two things a team can never have enough of and that's shooters and size. Only a fool would turn away athletic bigs (6'10"+) who can run the floor, challenge shots and rebound.

I get that. I just thought that loss was the most pathetic and embarrassing thing I've ever seen. And recruits were there. Could lose football recruits over that loss but hopefully doesn't influence basketball at all.
This has to be parody. You can't possibly be this dense

This has to be parody. You can't possibly be this dense
Not sure what you mean? And why you're being a **** about it? I'm saying that ridiculous loss probably wouldn't influence a basketball recruit but I do remember people in this forum a few weeks back getting nervous about the football team playing A&m with Bethea in the building to see it. So why can't I point out how the football team completely ****ed up this past weekend and how I hope it didn't negatively affect recruits there watching it? Sheeesh. You're a **** dude.

Advertisement
Back