2024 Recruiting

Advertisement
YouTube, lots on YouTube. Just search him.

I am not a shot doctor, but I wasn’t concerned.
He shot up the rankings late in his high school career, establishing himself as one of the elite backcourt players in the country over a productive summer on the Nike EYBL circuit. Bethea averaged 18.7 points and 3.5 rebounds during the spring and summer, shooting 60% from inside the arc, 41.2% from 3-point range and 85.7% from the free throw line.

Tough to shoot that consistently well against elite competition with a significant fundamental problem.

I see 2 things with Bethea’s shot, 1 he doesn’t have a quick release and 2 his shot is a bit Steph Curry-esque to me. That was one of the things teams were worried about about Steph Curry when he was coming out of college, the somewhat awkwardness of his shot. You see how that aged.

Bethea was named one of the 10 best shooters in the HS class along with Shwartz. I’m really not to worried about Bethea’s shot. Will it translate to him being one of the best shooters in CBB I don’t know but I would be very surprised if he isn’t at least a 36/37% 3 point shooter in college.

I see 2 things with Bethea’s shot, 1 he doesn’t have a quick release and 2 his shot is a bit Steph Curry-esque to me. That was one of the things teams were worried about about Steph Curry when he was coming out of college, the somewhat awkwardness of his shot. You see how that aged.

Bethea was named one of the 10 best shooters in the HS class along with Shwartz. I’m really not to worried about Bethea’s shot. Will it translate to him being one of the best shooters in CBB I don’t know but I would be very surprised if he isn’t at least a 36/37% 3 point shooter in college.
All good to hear. I'll take any Curry comparison. Would you say Nijel Pack has a "quick release?" I see more of a "step back" move, when he's tightly guarded, that frees him up. Not as much as Jack McLinton had but along those lines.

Glad JB's shot didn't look "wonky ***" to you -- that's how one guy described it on another team's Board. He said that while generally complimenting his total game, including his offense.

Last edited:
Advertisement
All good to hear. I'll take any Curry comparison. Would you say Nijel Pack has a "quick release?" I see more of a "step back" move, when he's tightly guarded, that frees him up. Not as much as Jack McLinton had but along those lines.

Glad JB's shot didn't look "wonky ***" to you -- that's how one guy described it on another team's Board. He said that while generally complimenting his total game, including his offense.
I wouldn’t call his shot wonky but it’s also not the sweetest looking shot a la Ray Allen or Klay Thompson. At the end of the day I don’t care if he’s heaving up shots underhanded as long as they go in, Bethea although without a huge sample has proven he can hit 3’s at a high rate. With him and Swartz coming in you have to be pretty excited about the potential to be a great shooting team the next few years, which could be a new dynamic with Coach L teams. We’ve had some solid to very good shooters in his time but we haven’t really had any elite shooters

Advertisement
We already took one from them in Bethea. I don’t think this will be two… no official visit, very very unlikely to be chosen.
Seems like AZ is getting the smoke for this one.

But still pretty cool to be battling it out and winning against those programs. Still boggles my mind Miami was a final 4 team. So cool.

Don't want some lumbering oaf averaging 6 and 8 costing us points both ways in transition. He can go enjoy consistently under performing Arizona.
I thought his scouting report was that he got up and down the court with ease? You seen him ball in person?

Advertisement
No never, sort of being sarcastic. I just dont feel the desperate need for a 7 footer that others on this site seem to

He was never a real prospect for Miami anyway, but… I do feel a desperate need for a 7 footer who moves like a wing and shoots like a guard - otherwise not desperate lol.

In the meantime I’m pretty darn happy with what we got and are getting :)

Don't want some lumbering oaf averaging 6 and 8 costing us points both ways in transition. He can go enjoy consistently under performing Arizona.
Yes we don’t want anymore Kenny Kadji’s, Dewan Huell’s, Dwayne Collins’, etc walking through these doors anymore. Only undersized 6’6 5’s. Got it since it’s so easy to find guys like Omier. What a ridiculous take.

Advertisement
Yes we don’t want anymore Kenny Kadji’s, Dewan Huell’s, Dwayne Collins’, etc walking through these doors anymore. Only undersized 6’6 5’s. Got it since it’s so easy to find guys like Omier. What a ridiculous take.
Didn't Omier turn out to be like 6'6-6'7 when the NBA measured him?

Yep. And UConn's Ike Sanogo who was their beast in the middle went from 6'9 to 6'7.

It's the big 7 foot plus "aircraft carriers" that there's a real debate on true value -- the Edey's and ****inson's. The ones the NBA no longer seems to value.

He didn’t say that. Or really anything close to that.

Also it’s clear that L is not prioritizing size just for the sake of size. Of course he wants size and length, but L is building a winning formula without traditional bigs because we haven’t been able to sign bigs who also have the athleticism and skill necessary to make the team better.

Now having said that - like everything else about Miami basketball, I think that is in the process of changing.

Advertisement
Back