2024 Recruiting

giphy.gif

Advertisement
With Bethea, we could be signing 3 guys that can legitimately score the ball as true freshman. Be interesting to see how L chooses to deploy them.

Someone help me make sense of how well we are recruiting. I know we have a top 5 coach and have had 2 consecutive NCAA runs, and we have a competitive NIL program. Does that equate to (2) 4 stars and potentially a 5 star in the same class? The lowest ranked of the (3) is the number 100 player in his class. Not the highest, the lowest. To say this would the best class ever is an absurd understatement.

Are we really this good? I know L works wonders and develops and wins. But it was always with 3 stars and borderline 4 stars. Add to this that a former 5 star transferred in from our biggest rival. Put all this together (I know I am rambling as a result of my disbelief and happiness) and we are now the preeminent program in the ACC. Forget Duke and UNC and UVA and any other school. With this level of coaching and recruting, UM is the top program in the ACC. Duke can recruit at our level (what a weird sentence to write) but they can’t coach at our level. UNC can’t do either.

WOW.

Advertisement
With Bethea, we could be signing 3 guys that can legitimately score the ball as true freshman. Be interesting to see how L chooses to deploy them.
We could be flipping our roster after this season. Cleveland, Wooga, Omier and Pack are all hoping to leave after this season. I know it’s unlikely we lose all 4 but not impossible. Even if we lose 3 that will allow for a lot of points and shots to be available. I wonder of L is selling the potential opportunity.

We could be flipping our roster after this season. Cleveland, Wooga, Omier and Pack are all hoping to leave after this season. I know it’s unlikely we lose all 4 but not impossible. Even if we lose 3 that will allow for a lot of points and shots to be available. I wonder of L is selling the potential opportunity.
I hope not. When we started to recruit well in 2016 and 2017, we fielded a couple of our most disappointing teams under L. I hope he continues to rely on the transfer portal for team building.

Oh yeah, I actually fully expect to lose all 4. Only one I could see return would be Cleveland with a chance for the 2024 team to be “his”.

Basketball team is just going to continue to be a fun team to follow. Completely trust coach L who is clearly and explicitly natl title chasing at this stage in his career. He must be selling that to recruits as well.

Oh yeah, I actually fully expect to lose all 4. Only one I could see return would be Cleveland with a chance for the 2024 team to be “his”.

Basketball team is just going to continue to be a fun team to follow. Completely trust coach L who is clearly and explicitly natl title chasing at this stage in his career. He must be selling that to recruits as well.
Maybe. But I really hope we retool with the portal in that case

Advertisement
I hope not. When we started to recruit well in 2016 and 2017, we fielded a couple of our most disappointing teams under L. I hope he continues to rely on the transfer portal for team building.
That Adidas scandal played a big role in that. IIRC we were trending for some 5⭐️ big who ended up at UNC over the scandal breaking. Recruiting took a major hit and decimated the roster.

That Adidas scandal played a big role in that. IIRC we were trending for some 5⭐️ big who ended up at UNC over the scandal breaking. Recruiting took a major hit and decimated the roster.
We also had guys who got injured and just weren’t ready. It’s taken Lonnie and Bruce years to find a role in the NBA.

Advertisement
Yeah, the idea that the program took a downturn because we started landing higher caliber recruits is just ignoring all context. The 17 team could have been great if Lonnie and Bruce would’ve been healthy. And then the Adidas **** caused us to not have a single high school signee in 2018 class. That cripples a program.

L knows what he’s doing. I don’t think he’ll ever go full press on one-and-dones, but filling the roster with top 100 types (Wong, Bensley, Beverly) that may stick around is how you build, and slotting a Lonnie/Bethea tier guy in with that is what can make you dangerous. Relying solely on the transfer portal is a mistake imo, that should be used to fill in the gaps.

Advertisement
Yeah, the idea that the program took a downturn because we started landing higher caliber recruits is just ignoring all context. The 17 team could have been great if Lonnie and Bruce would’ve been healthy. And then the Adidas **** caused us to not have a single high school signee in 2018 class. That cripples a program.

L knows what he’s doing. I don’t think he’ll ever go full press on one-and-dones, but filling the roster with top 100 types (Wong, Bensley, Beverly) that may stick around is how you build, and slotting a Lonnie/Bethea tier guy in with that is what can make you dangerous. Relying solely on the transfer portal is a mistake imo, that should be used to fill in the gaps.
It needs to be a balance, but it's no coincidence that our 4 best teams under L (2013, 2016, 2022, 2023) all had transfers leading the way.

I think we’ll definitely continue to use the Portal to find immediate talent upgrades, but L will still bring in young talent that can be developed into multi-year starters as well.

I would guess the strategy is to just get as many good players as possible & see how far you can take’em every year.

These guys aren't from South Florida, so they are all trash and L should be ashamed that he recruited them. /s
You do realize there are about a dozen or so Florida prospects rated higher than this kid? I've got no problem with his commitment, but let's not pretend like we just picked up a 5-star OOS kid. I'm content with how this staff is recruiting lately. Seems like they're making a concerted effort to recruit the state, which is all some folks here including myself have always wanted. When Bethea announces (COMMITS) next week, that's the eye-opening one. GO CANES!!!

I know that L knows what he's doing. I'm one of the few around here who wasn't calling for his head from 2019-2021. But it's a fact that our best teams under L have relied on a mix of high-level transfers and HS players.

2013: 2.5 transfer starters (depending on how you count Larkin)
2016: 3 transfer starters
2017: 1 transfer starter
2018: 0 transfer starters
2022: 3 transfer starters
2023: 3 transfer starters

The 2018 team wasn't anything special even when both guys were in the lineup. Like someone else pointed out, it's not like Brown and Lonnie took the league by storm, either. It took them years to find their footing. They were good college players, but not great college players. Had they stuck around another year or two, they probably would've reached another level, but in 2018, they weren't stars. (Of course who knows what would've happened - maybe that team gels in March. There's no way to know.)

All I'm saying is that, if we end up losing 3-4 of Pack/Wooga/Cleveland/Omier after this season, I hope we add another quality transfer starter. We were in a similar position after 2016 and ended up relying on the young guys, but they weren't ready yet.

Advertisement
Back